Register now to get rid of these ads!

Of topic? NEW Aluminum Slant Six head!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, May 29, 2007.

1. Abomination

Abomination

2. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

I think this is for Ford six bangers ,not slanters ?

3. SimonSez

SimonSez

Yeah, this is for the 200/250 Ford six.

Based on the Aussie 2v head that has a removable intake (unlike the US head with integral cast intake).

4. Abomination

Abomination

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

5. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

Why go to all the effort to make a new cylinder head and leave it as a sideflow head?

Shawn

6. ray

ray
    from colorado

as opposed to a crossflow head or?

the design was loosely based on the much better flowing aussie heads. an important consideration is that these heads are going to be ending up in real cars, not just race cars, so packaging and compatability with existing components is important.

the important thing is that the poor flowing integral log intake is gone.

i look forward to getting my hands on one of these heads very soon, to put on my girlfriends 250 motivated falcon. i'll end up having to fab my own intake for the 3x1 setup i'll be keeping.

7. Bruce Hertel

Bruce Hertel
    from Orgeon

Looking for a Chrysler slant six aluminum head and saw this post of 5/29/07 ! The web site you posted is no longer there can you tell me who manufactured/cast this head? Thanks, Bruce

8. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

http://Classicinlines.com
    is still there.
    His linked page is gone...

Doesn't appear that they have /6 in production....but I'd contact them anyway just to show interest.

9. Abomination

Abomination

10. Why go to all the effort to make a new cylinder head and leave it as a sideflow head?
    The idea we have that a crossflow head is always better may be flawed. I asked myself Why and i cant come up with an answer. Does the air know it is going out the same side it came in on? NO! does it make any diference in airflow?? No! Airflow is determined by port shape and volume the lack of sharpe turns or obstructions.
    The biggest problem with the slant six head is the angle turn down so the manifolds sit level . That is where I would be spending my time. Fixing that.
    Don

11. Abomination

Abomination

Wouldn't it be fun to have a variant of the Aussie Hemi Six head, in aluminum, for the Slant Six block? Talk about a math nightmare (re: valvetrain) making it work, but a man can dream...

~Jason

12. I suspect that having the exhaust ports on the same side as the intake ports would increase the temperature of the intake charge more-so than it would in a cross-flow head. Particularly, if the ports share a common wall and don't have a coolant passage between them.

13. I read an article by Steve Magnante about 3 years ago that Chrysler produced some aluminum heads for the Valiant in late '61 or early ''62.
    Someone out there must have more information on the remaining heads sitting under various work benches.

15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

If I remember right the article stated that the first 62,000 Valiants were alum HEAD and BLOCK, wet deck..

16. I think it is just sexier looking BUT if you want to get a set of damaged 5.7 hemi heads and a bandsaw. Use the two ends for ends and cut a one cylinder section out of the rest . fasten it all to an old block and tack away with a welder (lincoln 43 works on arc. ) or a tig or mig. a bit at a time. probably take a month or so but if one was careful and didnt do more than a bit each day it would come out pretty decent. Then all you would need to make are rocker shafts and that would be straight forward. I have thought about it but decided i was interested in seeing what i can get out of a slant six . I still dont think we have ever given these engines a full flogging. Doctor DDs efforts included. BTW an aluminum headby itself will actualy make less power if it was the same design or specifically compression ratio,
    If a person was so inclined they could cut a head in half at the casting line. Rework all the areas where water it too close . Make a core by placing the halves back together with sand core sand. and an outsde mold and have it repoured . I dont knowwhat shrink is on iron. Aluminum is 3/16 inch per foot.
    Another alternative is make a basic complete head out if hi-density styrofoam using a foundrymans ruler which is 12 and 3/16 inches long but divided normaly just oversize. Glue the whole thing together with hot glue. Sand and smooth till you are happy then take it to an aluminum foundry. Have them pack it in foundry sand carefully so it doesnt break and pour it. The styro vapourizes and "voila", there you have it. A hi perfomance slant six head with big ports room for big valves . Yeah it would be a lot of work. Probably take a week to make it. There are though people, I am sure right here on the HAMB who have the artisic abilty to make such a styro pattern. Just some ideas. I know to some they sound to hard but there are people who could pull this of . I have had some stuff poured (and do smal stuff mself) Usually you pay by the pound plus a foundry charge. It was the foundry who poured an intake lid for me that told me next time make it from styro. It is much easier for us and you. You dont have to worry about draft or cores . You just pack and pour or so he told me. I am doing a small pour this week. maybe i will make a little something out of styro and try it while doing the other pour.
    Don

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  17. mustangsix

mustangsix

It's been well documented that simply bolting on an Aussie 2V head to a 200 gives you a 30-35hp increase over the stock log, with no other changes. The aluminum head flows even better and allows you to bump the CR even more. Even with the puny stock cam, you could get a 40hp bump over the stock configuration.

A couple of guys are making in excess of 300 hp with this head and a small turbo.

18. pishta

pishta
    from Tustin, CA

Talk about exhaust manifolds cracking! The head and exhaust slide a bit as it is when they heat up at different rates so introduce a fast heating head and your bound to break something. AL is just an easier head to port, machine and repair. There is not any performance in the same casting in AL. Not raise the compression a tik and rework the port shape, then you got a head. Not impossible with todays heads in good ol iron and EFI. REmember Aussie 6 stuff is usually the straight six stuff, the US truck motor that was still-born...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. Has anyone ever looked at the Kaiser/Willy’s/Jeep/IKA Tornado 6 OHC Hemi Head to see if it’s possible to convert or use it on the Slant Six? They were both built around the same era and had the Kaiser/Willy’s/Jeep version had similar architecture with a 4 Main Bearing block, long stroke and small bore. Just asking....

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. goldmountain

goldmountain

Silly responding to such an old post but I remember the article way back when in Hot Rod magazine when the Kaiser OHC engine came out. Seems to be a real shortage of cam lobes there.

21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Same lobe worked intake and exhaust lobe on each cylinder. Only needed 6 lobes that way.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Being as Jeep had no connections to Mopar at all between 62/65 and the head gaskets don't come close to matching. Remembering that the mechanics in the dealership I worked in in the 70's referred to that engine as the overhead damned six I'm not sure why anyone would consider swapping a head off it.
    Top gasket being the slant six bottom being the Jeep ohc gasket. 225 Slant six head gasket.jpg Jeep ohc head gasket.jpg

TrailerTrashToo likes this.