Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Banjo Rear vs. 1957 Ford 9"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, May 3, 2021.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I dunno Root.. my fav coupe of all time is the Busby Coupe.. running a nasty Caddy up front and guess what..... a 57 Ford Niner with Parallel Springs.
    And they are getting more pricey to find.
    There is nothing prettier than a 37-40 Ford rear. but the cost of one is getting very pricey. and if you like to dip your toe into the throttle.... well.......

busby.JPG

2. Well, you said you wanted to build a " It will be a show car styled 1936 Ford pickup."
    Most of the old show cars I saw in magazines back in the day were more focused on the looks of it. Big engine, nice body/interior and adaptor to typical transmission and banjo rearend. It was all about style , eye appeal and not much about hard driving.

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

True.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Roothawg

Roothawg

I know. I like the smooth back 9” as well. All
    Good points.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I like rearends with big dimples:eek:

20170326_094304.jpg

6. I have a 55 Chevy rear end like that that I grabbed for my GMC. Broken with a bent axle. when I asked my older pal that I got it from about it he said "oh yeah, we busted a lot of them, this must have been one!"

chryslerfan55, bchctybob and Roothawg like this.
  7. Go with a 9" and forget about it. I thought going banjo on my 40 would be simpler and more economic since I already had it. Man was I wrong!

8. Why bother to have a Caddy in it if you have to worry about the rear end?
    If you visit F100 World you will find a lot of pickup guys are going to 8.8s and would like to get that nasty old 9 inch out of their way. ;)
    Chances are you can find someone very willing to part with a 57ish 9 inch from a pickup who's only fault was not being the latest trend.

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

A 57 wagon is the desired rear end for 9” options.

chryslerfan55 and Speedy Canuck like this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, the way I start my builds. Frame up. I start on the front suspension and gather my bits.

• So far I have a dropped 36 axle and 12" F250 backing plates. Looking for the spindles I need. (I have a set of 36 wishbones.
    • I have a set of boxing plates ready to weld up.
    • I have decided to run the 60-52 C10 MC, so I have hanging pedals designed for that MC.
    • Working my way to the back. I have a 62 390 Caddy and bell housing.
    • No trans yet, so I started on the rear end and rear springs.
    • Once I collect those, I will start on the frame
    So, there is a method to my madness.

Just Gary and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Stop Molesting 57 fords and use a Mopar part
    hahahah

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

Only dorks drive 57's. :D 55's are the way to go. Plus, I wouldn't want any Mopar parts on my car.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  13. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Norm and Tommy say banjo. One ran a Cadillac, the other a Nailhead.
    c-63.jpeg Kookie-T-9-of-9.jpg 627px-Lightning-bug3.jpg

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

skinny tires, the tires are the weak link is the theory (loss of traction instead of breaking parts)

16. I call that 'the rubber fuse.' ;)

17. finn

finn

Clearly, the Banjo is the most traditional, and the least reliable.

The olds would be a reliable and traditional alternative.
    The 55-57 Chevy was, in my opinion, a more common swap into the old Fords than a 9” prior to the seventies and eighties. The 9” is strong and cheap, but is more of a street rod- monochrome paint-billet-aluminum-mullet hair do era swap than the other alternatives. It dominated until recently, but my memory says it didn’t become common hot rod material until the very late sixties or, more likely, the seventies, at best.

The Ford 8.8 is now eating into the 9” popularity, primarily because of cost and availability, but is obviously not a consideration for this build.

chryslerfan55 and Roothawg like this.
  18. junkman8888

junkman8888

A Squarebird 9" rear end is actually narrower than the 57 Ford station wagon rear end. Easier to find these days too.

Roothawg likes this.
  19. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At the same cross roads. Nice 40 with a stock Columbia etc. Contemplating maybe an overhead. At 78 have maybe a bit more sense but in the early 60's broke many axles and transmissions and that was with a flathead! A high school friend had a 46 Ford with an Olds-he had the record-12-13 transmissions and a few rearends.

chryslerfan55, Moriarity and Roothawg like this.
  20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Good to know.

21. sunbeam

sunbeam

early Bronco is only .75" wider and has 5.5 bolt pattern

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

Just about as hard to find. I’ll end up buying a new housing from John’s or Currie.

23. With modern axles installed and narrow tires I wouldn't be afraid of using a banjo... their weakest part is the axles IMHO.

chryslerfan55, Tman and arkiehotrods like this.
  24. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

25. Roothawg

Roothawg

Is there a way to have anything other than a single drive axle?

26. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

27. I was told that the modified banjo was good for about 300 hp without slicks. This will be interesting to read......I might have a line on a '64 ish Pontiac :).

28. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

331 caddy, 39 trans, open drive banjo rear...lots of fun! Do it IMG_20210505_222146_774.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G892A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Okie Pete, Hank37, Just Gary and 8 others like this.
  29. -Brent-

-Brent-

Early 9" 100000%

I love the Olds/Pontiac rears (and have one under my coupe) but you could build 2+ awesome 9"ers for the price and still hit the period... especially if it's early 60s.

30. Koz

Koz

I've been following this thread and thought I'd mention I've been doing almost the same thing here for the last few months., I had a nice '40 banjo I was going to use in my Vicky until I traded the 283 for a 389 tripower Pontiac that I went through with some really hot internals. I traded my banjo for a 9" pickup rear with a Detroit Locker and things have pretty much gone down hill from there. I went through the carrier and threw bearings and a set of gears in it along with narrowing it to 57" flange to flange. I thought I could get the axles resplined but they couldn't so now I have a new pair of Mosers on the way. There were a few brake parts missing that I couldn't get anywhere so now I'm getting new brakes so If anyone needs some almost loaded backing plates hit me up. They're free.

I think I have close to the national debt in it now so not exactly a cheap alternative I was looking for. (Actually pretty reasonable for what I have, I'm just always broke). In hindsight I should have probably grabbed a junkyard Camaro 10 bolt or something and it would have worked just as well. All depends on what you're looking for. This 9" will take a beating for sure and the cost will soon be forgotten. Just saying, nothing is going to be cheap anymore short of junk yard stuff that isn't a lot of fun changing out every few weeks.