Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is the easiest/cleanest way to get from hardline to AN hose?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tlmartin84, May 5, 2021.

1. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

I see 2 options...

Slip the 5AN hose over the 5/16 hard line and clamp it.

Or

Flare the tube an use a male or female 1/2" x 20 Inverted Flare, and a fitting on the AN hose.

My preference would be to slip it over the tube and clamp it. I cannot find a "cheap" bead tool for 5/16 tube though and without a bead it feels loose.

So is there one AN hose end that can get me tied in without using an adapter, and a bunch of connections?

2. I don't know everything but I've never seen no. 5 an hose. It's all even numbered. -6-8-10, etc. If you are using number 6, that is 3/8" hose.

Blues4U likes this.
  3. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Elcohaulic, loudbang and Just Gary like this.
  4. AN fittings are just hydraulic JIC fittings, go to a hydraulic hose house they will have fitting that will work.

you can do it like this but a jic flare is 37* not the standard 45* that brake and fuel lines are.

you can also get a compression fitting to jic end.

like brooks said “easy peasy japonesey

F50B1DB1-9FA5-4F2D-8AEB-9A30D92CDE85.gif A680D67D-1EA0-4972-93C0-7C2DFA8AB0A9.png

rusty valley and dan31 like this.

5. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

That's the adapter I am trying to avoid.

6. The adaptor is not what I’m showing but the fitting that will fit on a flared line and accept a male an fitting.
    Sorry should have been more clear.

7. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

If you have a cheap double flare tool you can just do the first step to put a bubble on the steel line.

8. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Terminate the hard line in a 37 degree single flare with backer and nut. Terminate hose with an AN to tube fitting. It's a hose end fitting with a male flare. Screw together.

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  9. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

:rolleyes:

Wiseguy...I was having a complete brainfart I guess..THANK YOU!

10. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Didn't intend to come off as a wise guy. You were looking for easy! I also posted on your other thread.

11. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

No no no, you didn't, I was joking. But After I read what you you wrote...I was thinking that should have been obvious.

Thanks for the post in the other thread...I need to pick up one of those gauges. I am ordering a flaring tool and was trying to figure out which set of dies I needed with it.

Ok last question for you. I would prefer to run 3/8 hard line over the 5/16.

The problem with that is the nipple on the fuel pump is for 5/16 and moulded into the housing.

Is there anyway to get from the 5/16 hose (I'd like a short piece of braided) to the 3/8" tube?

12. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Could you post a picture of the fuel pump? I knew it was just a good natured comment. No issues.

13. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

It's an m4009 on a sbf.

[​IMG]

That nipple is pressed in.

14. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Basically looks like this one...

[​IMG]

15. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it was the first picture you posted you could pull out the tube and tap the boss like the outlet. The second one doesn't have much to work with. If it wasn't crimped together you would have some options to modify the connection but it would involve heat. I would look for a different if you can.

indyjps likes this.
  16. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess if you have to use pump #2, and you are using a push on hose, you terminate the 3/8" hard line with a flare and use a male flare push lock fitting on one end of the rubber. The easy fix is use 5/16" rubber hose and have no need to modify the pump. You could use 3/8" hose and build up or expand the pump tube slightly.

17. The nipple is for the flex line from the tank. Do you really need to convert that to AN, or JIC? Just asking.

18. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

Like AngleD said.... Use the first stage of a double flare.... makes a very good bubble for clamping a hose to....

LynnW

19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cut the bubble off the pump and use this? Not sure you have enough room. This is how I transition hard line to flex.
    upload_2021-5-6_9-17-38.png

partssaloon and Hemi Joel like this.
  20. Bandit, it's 5/16, so can't work this way. I've done this same thing with 3/8 fittings.

21. cfmvw

cfmvw

I once used a compression fitting from my local hydraulics shop so I could convert a hard line on an IROC-Z power steering box to AN-6. I have also used silver solder to add AN fittings to steel lines, and even TIG welded some stainless fittings together to get what I needed.

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

The easiest way to do it is to use Swedgeloks.
    I am never flaring again. 5C58BEC1-149D-4466-9450-17B969F6535C.jpeg 0254BD51-E1CF-4763-B071-0CF426E2C859.jpeg

F8TL, Oilguy, nor6304 and 2 others like this.
  23. Beautiful detail there !
    Looks like fine work .

Tommy

24. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

The cleanest way by far! Get yourself a male pipe to JIC adapter, put it in the lathe and drill for slip fit to the tube, and turn the pipe threads off to make a nice sleeve for attachment to the tube. A little heat and silver solder will produce a factory looking tube end that will out live us all.

25. Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  26. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Not HAMB friendly, however it depends on pressure, SS Compression (Swedgelock) fitting with an adapter to braided fuel line.
    Photo0283.jpg
    or a bulb on hard line with hose and clamp (Vacuum line)
    Photo0062.jpg
    For brake lines, braided hose with AN fittings, through frame and banjo.
    I'm doing my 6x2 cross ram the same as #22

27. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

The slickest way (I think) would have hose barb put on the hard line, put the hose on it with a ferrule and have it crimped by someone with a set of AC line dies. Pretty much permanent but would look nice.

Gary

28. F8TL

F8TL

What is the origin of the hardline?
    They make male inverted flare to male jic fittings.
    I have put them in automatic transmission to cooler and brake proportioning valve.

They do make -5 JIC flare less connectors that work just like compression fittings. It will be a tube nut and ferrule so that will go to male jic from to hard line but no step. Hydraulic shop will be able to get them.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. squirrel

squirrel

This connection is on the suction side of the pump? I'm curious why you're connecting AN hose to it, in the first place.... :)