Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 Q.C. REAR CROSSMEMBER

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dirt car, Apr 28, 2021.

1. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

With the advent of the 32 flat rear crossmember that is a direct rivet or weld in fit, has anyone expanded upon that venue to provide a quick change friendly unit as well ?

2. Not that i am aware of. Not a big deal to put an A cross member in its place. The oter big issue with a quick change in a 32 is if you plan to use the stock gas tank it will need a notch put in it to clear the quick change housing.

3. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Thanks Jason, While laboring over my 32 chassis to fit an 'A' crossmember I thought it would certainly be a viable option to at least a portion of builders, no help in my case as the rear roll cage ties in to the original crossmember of which I'm hesitant to disturb so will cut the center & 'A' hoop & graft it in, bobbed rear & quarter elliptical springs for suspension.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  4. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have a couple options to not have to notch your tank- first is to use the shorter winters hot rod quick change. The other is to cut the rear rails just in front of the gas tank mount. I added 3/4” to the length which pushed the tank back an unnoticeable amount and then used very short studs on the rear cover (Halibrand 201) and I clear the tank. I still used an “A” cross member but it gives you a couple ideas at least.

hotrodA and dwollam like this.

5. swifty

swifty

As @dirt car mentioned that he has a bobbed rear he doesn't have to worry about fuel tank clearance. In my case with a Halibrand 301 I had to trim the rear flange of the tank plus a big notch. When the body and chassis came together I found that the crossmember had to go 1 1/4" forward for the wheels to suit the wheel wells so I didn't need to trim the flange or make such a big notch LOL

x77matt likes this.
  6. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Thanks, x77matt & swiffty, You both provided interesting ideas, but as swiffty stated the tank is not of concern as a beer keg provides as a fuel tank, however the 3/4" add on to the frame horns on an original equipped 32 tank is certainly a viable option as my son has a 32 & a 201 Q.C. to tackle at a future date if it measures close to the Winters it might work as well. Great info!