Register now to get rid of these ads!

History HURST - HISTORY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D. GLOVER, Apr 19, 2020.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Just finished reading the entire thread, all 180 posts! Great info, and I don't know why I hadn't read it long before now.
    My first use of Hurst parts was in early 60's on a true "backyard build" of a '53 Studebaker with SBC power, a '55 265 cid bored to 283.Used the Hurst saddle front mount and center crossmember.
    Never had much use for the 3speed Chevy transmissions of that day, so I used a BW T85 from a '56 Merc along with an adapter plate between trans and '55 Chev. bell housing.
    Then I used the Hurst "Mystery Shifter" and also experienced the loosening compression sleeve and swiveling stick. That setup worked well if you just tightened that nut once in awhile!
    Now my '31"A" Hiboy has a Ford toploader 4 speed and a Hurst Comp Plus shifter and my '40 Ford coupe has a T5 with a Hurst lever. Considering installing a short throw kit on the T5, does Hurst make one?
    All through the years Hurst quality was top shelf, and hopefully will remain so.

2. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

Yes, I did create a Super Shifter for the Ford 10 bolt top loader trans. Anyway in 1984, it ws p/n # 491 001 = shifter, and # 373 0014= instal kit. (for Super Shifter III). For the Super Shifter, p/n # 391 7535 = shifter, and
    373 8615 = instal kit. So if you contact the new Hurst, they may have more info, on a T5 trans shifter w /short
    stick for the A bone . I believe that is a B-W internal rail trans.

1Nimrod, bowie, enloe and 1 other person like this.
  3. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

Bowie- Thanks for your input with your older shifters. The photo with the shifter, and knob with no taper on stick, looks as though the stick was shortened, and threaded to get a shorter throw. To my knowledge all sticks had a taper
    to the thread end. Early when Hurst applied for patent, they were able to stamp "pat pend" on the the housing. That
    shifter is a very early unit. Others shown have a valid pat number on housing, later there was another pat number added. As far as Hurst script goes, I can't expand on any info.

4. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

HURST ALUM T- HANDLE
    Enclosed photo I recently took of a Hurst T handle as cast, and prior to the hand finishing. The finishing
    was done in house.

IMG_3503 (2).JPG

1Nimrod, bowie, enloe and 1 other person like this.
  5. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

HURST STICK & LOCK NUT INFO
    SHIFTER STICK MFGR INFO,
    Around 1962-63 we started to mfgr the 4 speed units, the shifter stick was made from 3/8" thick steel.
    the threads were 3/8", we used a rotary swage process to shape the end of the stick to a round configuration.
    Then we trimmed the end, and cut the threads. This process was used on the M/S shifter sticks, S/L sticks,
    and the Dual/Gate thinner sticks. In industry this process is used for shaping round bar, and tubing. At
    Hurst-Campbell, we applied this to rectangular steel material. We could have developed this mfgr
    process, not sure.

SPECIAL LOCK NUT MFGR INFO.
    Early on, there was a need for a lock nut. Bill Campbell, created the Hurst lock nut (pictured). It was
    chrome plated, and made in two thread sizes. It was counterbored on one side, with threads 1/2 way.
    The hex portion was 9/16" flats, with rounded corners, so there were no sharp edges once installed
    with knob, & t-handle. After tightened the lock nut is partially recessed inside the knob, etc.

Attached Files:

1Nimrod, Elcohaulic, enloe and 2 others like this.
  6. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The two early square top shifters shown have not been modified. Notice the first one does not utilize the splayed welded construction at it’s handles base. I do possess other original square top units so I know these two have not been altered.

1Nimrod, enloe and loudbang like this.
  7. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

On my last shifter stick / lock nut post the years were in 1961-62 era, best I know.

1Nimrod, enloe, bowie and 1 other person like this.
  8. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

Thanks for the feed back, did you purchase these new. Yes, I did notice the weld at the base. We did the
    same method with the S/L shifters. This way we could use a common stick bottom, then weld a diff. stick to the
    stick bottom. Looks like you do have some very early units in your collection.

1Nimrod, enloe, bowie and 1 other person like this.
  9. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The none welded handle base version is the same construction as the barrel style units. I didn’t buy any of these units new, as I would have been about 4 or 5 when they were produced. My junk has been accumulated from hawking Hershey and Carlisle (since it started) from about 1967 on. I quit scarfing stuff, about 25 years ago; once this old crap came back into vogue. I‘ll go crawl back under my rock, now.

10. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

You have a lot of cool stuff Bowie:)

11. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, enloe. I’ve come to realize that most guys don’t place much importance on the differences of the old original aftermarket speed parts. I guess as long as I like starring at and using them, it’s all that really matters to me.

1Nimrod, D. GLOVER, egads and 4 others like this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm no psychologist but I think bowie has a problem!:D

1Nimrod, enloe and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  13. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No problems.... sweet dreams are made of this! I quit buying this worthless stuff decades ago . Now I just admire it ...and use it when the need arises!

14. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Peace, Love, HURST! 234E1E50-6CD0-4EE8-BE1D-88A63706B599.jpeg

15. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I have a few shifter handles. I buy what I like when I find it at a price that I like.
    If I use it I use it. If I need to I can sell it if I need to. If Neither of the above is done when I leave this world it will be my baby boy Ethan's (he has the sickness as well)

16. 270283

Is that a Schmidt's beer keg shift knob I see? My buddies and I drank a lot of that back in our "Connoisseur Days". :D

Elcohaulic, bowie and loudbang like this.
  17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

when I see pictures of @bowie stuff it makes me want to throw my stuff away and start over

1Nimrod, bowie and enloe like this.
  18. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Yeah Right :)
    If so throw it my way :)

1Nimrod, bowie, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  19. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mark, your stuff is the cream, I mostly have skim milk!

20. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

270/283: yeah that little keg represents Philly’s finest! Can’t forget Iron city , from the other side of the state. Then there’s the champagne of bottled beer....Oh oh , I ’m startn’ to get thirsty...just joking!

21. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I grew up ten blocks away from Iron City beer on Liberty ave.. . I remember Schmidt's actually I liked the Philly beer better. There was another beer called Straub from St. Mary's Pa. Wow was it good.

I drove a beer truck when I was 18. It was a 63 Ford Custom Cab with a 300 six with three on the tree.. That truck empty, could take on most of the local hot rods.. I took it to the street races one night and beat a Camaro 307 Powerglide and a Mustang also a six cylinder..

22. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

Bowie- Thanks for all your input, I think all of the old motor heads have that "collect it condition", as to
    anything that is wheels related. When I found out that the Hurst items were sought after, I started selling items
    at various car shows, and flea markets. Which was more that half of what I own, then I started to get invited
    to shows, and it would be interesting to share my info, knowledge, and display items I have. Hopefully to
    compliment the hobby.

23. deucemac

deucemac

As an addendum to my story, George loved the old Hot Rod magazine that I brought in and said how much he would like to find one. About a month later I went to my Early Ford V8 meeting at Antique Automotive in San Diego. As I walked in, I noticed a new pile of magazines that the owner had just bought. I thumbed through and sure enough, I found that exact issue. I bought it for the princely sum, of 50 cents. I put it in large manilla envelope with a note and sent it off to George. He wrote back so excited that I thought of him and bought it for him. About a day later, I got another letter, this time from George's wife Lila. She too told me how much it meant to George to have me send it to him. She went on about it saying that George never had a favor like that done for him. That he was always asked to do a favor for them and not about doing a favor for him. Apparently, being as well known as George was, everybody tried to get as much mileage out of friendships as they could. I wrote back to her and said that George was my friend I have no problem helping a friend of mine, no matter how famous they could be. I had about 2 dollars invested in the magazine, envelope, and postage. That one thing kept us in touch for the rest of his life and a real relaxed friendship. Truly one of the nicest guys I have ever met while screwing around with hot rods and race cars. It makes me mad to this day, when I think about Lila saying how people tried to use George for their own purposes. That friendship started 44+ years ago and I am still honored to call him my friend BUT, that he considered me as his friend.

24. Fordors

Fordors

@deucemac I think you summed things up when you said “....helping a friend of mine.” Friendships can be casual, when we know someone, share common interests but never really form a bond.
    True friends give, they never expect to get, and when both sides are on the same page is when the strongest bonds are made. Think about it, how many people do you know that you would share a foxhole with?

1Nimrod, D. GLOVER and deucemac like this.
  25. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

1970 HURST KNOBS-01 (4).jpeg 1970 HURST KNOBS-02.jpeg (2).jpg 1970 HURST KNOBS-03.jpeg.jpeg (2).jpg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  26. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Our little collection image.jpg

our collection of stuff is shrinking. I need to get to some swap meets soon I am going through withdrawals. image.jpg

the shifter in my Corvette image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  27. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

Mini traction bar that I created at Hurst, for small cars w/ leaf springs.
    proto HURST Traction Bar.jpg

1Nimrod, stillrunners, bowie and 4 others like this.
  28. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

29. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

30. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

This just appeared on my front porch. It's a NOS 3 speed Syncro/Loc - Dual Pattern 3 speed overdrive for a 55 - 57 Chevy. It'll be going in my 55 Cameo.

Hurst OD D.jpg Hurst OD C.jpg Hurst OD A.jpg Hurst OD B.jpg Hurst OD E.jpg R Front March 20 2021.jpg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    Elcohaulic, 1Nimrod, enloe and 8 others like this.