Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 Flathead 8BA Inital start trouble shoot

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bustingear, Feb 23, 2021.

1. rpu28

rpu28
    from Austin

Just to summarize: you have never had any sign of combustion at all, with gas and/or starting fluid - no noise, no smoke out the the headers, no barking back through the carbs?

If you can't get pure starting fluid (try without gas to prevent plug fouling) to bark, then either the fluid is not reaching the cylinders or your spark is inadequate.

BTW, I don't think starting fluid will self-combust at pressures this low. If so, it seems like it would combust as it leaves the spray-can nozzle if it had adequate oxygen before the pressure dropped too far.

2. bustingear

bustingear

Sorry team as you can imagine i have been busy with getting the machine to an operable state, fixing a few other of my cars and general things from life that get in the way.
    YES its running , finally. The main problem was NOT timing at all as many focused on but a case of weak spark wich a couple did. Since i don't mess with these every day i was not able to tell weak spark from healthy spark. This stemmed from using a stock flatty dizzy cap and not having the Pertronix wires reaching properly down into the cap hole but just enough to barely spark. Its quite distance in an unmatched setup. Once i figured a fix for this it went out all together and i found the lead wire inside of the dizzy touching the housing.
    After all this i became fed up with the stock vacuum Loadamatic and the intake set up. So a bought an aftermarket two pot and two Stromberg rip offs with a Mallory Unilite mechanical advance and a Mallory coil. The Pertronix was deep sixed.
    Running like a clock now just chasing the usual new build bugs at this point. I do appreciate all of the help i was given and all of the possible suggestions.

48fordnut likes this.
  3. You put the points back in it and it'll fix it Pertronics often don't work or fail when heated by the engine.