Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Swamp Yankee Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by JRN1967, Jan 10, 2021.

1. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

montreal steak cost went up as i felt the wait staff needed a little boost...

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and JRN1967 like this.
  2. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

IMG_7960.jpg
    IMG_7962.jpg
    IMG_7963.jpg
    Rock-A-Dundee was the perfect excuse to take old Henrietta out for a spin. (Just 5 miles away)
    Thank you NHBandit for explaining the New Englander's art of negotiation. I was brought up this way, going to local swap meets with whatever little money I earned. Every dollar saved on one part, is used to buy that expensive part further on down the road. It's not being cheap, its being frugal. Keep "Playing the Game"!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  3. Thanks for the memories. I spent my teenage years in Chicopee and that road and the wild stories about weird things going on are part of my younger years. My daughter and grand daughters still live in the area. I don't miss all that White stuff on the ground though. Here in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains I can look up on the mountain tops and see it but not have to deal with it down here where we live. Not to mention my property taxes are under $400 a year.

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  4. JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

I love New England. Nice build.

JRN1967 and loudbang like this.
  5. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

It's been a while since my last update, but that doesn't mean I haven't been working on the SYC.
    When I left off I was finishing up the F1 crossmember, I blocked off the original master cylinder hole and moved it over 1.5" towards the transmission. Then I welded a tab on the top for the pedal bracket.
    Crossmember10.jpg

6. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

It's my personal preference, but I like the look of unsplit wishbones. Finding a wishbone that's long enough during the New England winter, is not an easy task. To keep the project moving forward I decided to extend the model a wishbone, and upgrade it in the future. My crossmember has a provision for the ball and cap.
    cap4.jpg

7. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

If I did this over again, I would have extended the front with a pie cut for caster. But this wishbone is only temporary so I can work that out later. I'll doll up the welds later on the bench.
    wishbone2.jpg
    wishbone5.jpg
    wishbone7.jpg

8. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

I got to a point where I said to myself "How far am I taking this"? I mean most of the parts are close to 90 years old. The frame is in pretty good shape but it has surface rust, and I was thinking do I address this now are kick it down the road? So I took it to our local sandblasting pro "Mr. North"
    Frame 1.jpg
    Money well spent and a piece of mind moving forward!
    Frame 6.jpg

brEad, Tim, TFoch and 5 others like this.
  9. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

Before I painted the frame I fabricated a section in the original crossmember to accommodate the mustang master cylinder.
    Frame 8.jpg

brEad, TFoch, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  10. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

Then I welded in slugs and shot it satin black.
    Frame 16.jpg

brEad, TFoch, Lil'Alb and 5 others like this.
  11. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

When I started breaking down the Model a front end I noticed that years of bad shackles and perch bushings allowed the top of the axle to get worn.
    axle.jpg
    So I found this 36 axle axle on craigslist (Ridgefield CT) Thanks Ray!
    36 Axle.jpg
    I had my eye on it all winter, I believe it will give me a one inch drop as well?

Tim, TFoch, AHotRod and 2 others like this.
  12. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

Satisfied with the extended wishbone, I decided it was time to paint and assemble the front axle.
    I want to get this chassis back to a roller state, and keep the project moving forward.
    Wishbone 8.jpg
    axle 2.jpg
    axle 4.jpg

ffr1222k, brEad, guitarguy and 9 others like this.
  13. AHotRod

AHotRod

14. Nice progress! Looking great!

JRN1967 and loudbang like this.
  15. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

master clearance seems tight, i have seen a master cylinder cover with a remote fill option...
    just in case... go j go !

loudbang and JRN1967 like this.
  16. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

I appreciate the compliments and likes... It keeps me hustling :)
    Anyone local have .812 reamer? I'm doing the bushings on my round backs...

Thor1 likes this.
  17. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

Thanks TFoch! I was in your area last Sunday for the swap meet. First time I went to Epping, but the weather wasn't great. Hope to go next month as well.

Thor1 likes this.
  18. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

I bought a reamer and installed the new king pins on the 36 axle, but I had a clearance issue with the steering arm and the wishbone.
    Spindle Arm 1.jpg
    When I mocked up my speedway tie rod kit it interfered with the wishbone.
    Interference 1.jpg
    I moved the arms down on each side about an inch and now the tie rod has plenty of clearance.
    Spindle Arm 3.jpg

brEad, hfh, TFoch and 6 others like this.
  19. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

With the new axle in I put the old model a drums on so I could get it back to a roller.
    I don't know why but this has been a goal of mine since mid winter when I started disassembling everything.
    It makes me feel better knowing I can roll it in and out of the garage, if needed. I still need the garage space
    to do repairs on the family vehicles.
    Roller.jpg

kidcampbell71, TFoch, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  20. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

I picked up these drums a couple months back, now I'm in the process of collecting brake parts.
    Buick Drums.jpg

brEad, kidcampbell71, TFoch and 3 others like this.
  21. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

I'm looking for advice on the routing the brake lines... When I search the old threads on brakes, I notice most often people run the rear brake lines down the radius arms to the rear axle. My guess is they do this to keep the lines lower than the master cylinder? I want to run the lines up on the frame both front and rear, but the lines will be higher than the master. Will I have an air problem if I do this?

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  22. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Nice looking, well built chassis,
    F1 crossmember / tranny mount is neat...
    brake lines may need residual valves,
    beware, they used to come with pipe thread ends and needed adaptors to get back to tube threads...
    because the 2 threads look so close it is easy to strip if not paying attention...

JRN1967 and Thor1 like this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Builds looking great!

I think some of the later banjo cars with juice ran them down the wishbones also it makes for a clean set up. The lines being on the frame or wishbones won’t make any difference because your wheel cylinders are still in the same spot.

This is where a residual valve comes into play on each line I believe.

some masters have them built in. Lots of conversation and debate about it so there’s some reading/ searching / rabbit hole for you to go down LOL

I like your extended wishbone up front, I narrowed a 46-8 on my A to do the same thing :)

JRN1967, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  24. Nice to get it as a roller! Keeps you going to get more done!

loudbang, JRN1967 and Thor1 like this.
  25. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

Thank you Tim and Smitty for the answer.. I'm not completely sure how I will route the lines, but knowing I can run them higher than the MC without much trouble gives me many possibilities. Rabbit hole research - here I go...

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    loudbang, Tim and Thor1 like this.
  26. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

Thanks to 40fords my 46-48 drums arrived yesterday and I wasted no time breaking them down.
    IMG_8212.jpg
    Gary gave me a good deal because the one on the left had been re-drilled for a smaller bolt pattern.
    Someone from yester-year did some high tech welding as well. I was forewarned, but I like to roll the dice.
    IMG_8213.jpg
    IMG_8217.jpg
    With the hub welded to the drum, I decided to cut away the hub section and then try tackling the old welds.
    IMG_8218.jpg
    Next I'll work on the slow process of grinding away the old steel and welds from the hub. Fingers crossed its not warped.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Jrs50, TFoch, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.
  27. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

I picked up this old drum lathe down in Chaplin CT off RT 6 next to the Back Door.
    It's got some serious backlash but I was able to turn both 48 hubs to a clearance fit with the Buick drums.
    Hub Turning 1.jpg

Thor1, loudbang, Jrs50 and 2 others like this.
  28. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

This cut off tool worked good for removing the meat so my backing plates fit.
    Drum Turning 1.jpg

Thor1, loudbang, Jrs50 and 3 others like this.
  29. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

With the Buick drums turned and fitted to the 48 hubs, it was time to fab my backing plates. I bought some 40 Ford backing plates and converted them to Bendix style using parts from rear F1 plates.
    plate13.jpg
    plate8.jpg
    I used F1 wheel cylinders and 1970 F250 shoes and hardware.
    Brake conversion 1.jpg
    I'm satisfied with the way the front brakes turned out, but it was a ton of work. If I could do it over, I'd stick to F1 front brakes and be way ahead in my build. Not to mention I also spent one day at the eye doctor for two slivers that slipped past my safety glasses.
    Brake conversion 5.jpg

ffr1222k, brEad, stillrunners and 6 others like this.
  30. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]

What size wheel is that? Whatever it is I really like the way the Buick drum fits. Bob

brEad, Thor1, 55 Ford Gasser and 2 others like this.