Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical School me: Crower injection pills

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harv, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

My name is Harv, and I'm an alkyholic.
    It's been 4 days since I last bought period injection gear.

I have an obsession with early McGee injection (think Aussie I6's, 1948-63) that sees me buying all kinds of gear - manifolds, injectors, pills etc. Parts are scarce, and I often end up buying job lots with unknown parts. The McGees are based in the US now, and hard to get hold of. Lots of reverse engineering. Info here for those interested:
    http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23332

Anyhoo, I bought a box of gear recently that had a heap of McGee pills in it (exciting... the pills are scarce). The McGee pills are different to a typical Hilborn pill. They are screw like an Enderle pill, but are 3/8-24UNF (Enderle pills are 7/16"). Along with the McGee pills were a bunch of what appear to be Crower pills. I haven't seen pills like this before - larger diameter, and a rubber o-ring. Stamped with Crower, and orifice size.

Crower pills methinks.jpg

I can't find much on Crower's fuel injection history, but given some HAMB trawling I understand that they made mechanical injection during the correct period, but no longer do. Please correct me if Crower made later injection and are hence O/T.

Would love to hear if these really are Crower bypass pills as suspected, or something else weird and wonderful. There is very little Crower gear Down Under, and I am unlikely to ever use them. Happy for them to go to a good home if someone can tell me the story, rather than them sitting in a jar here.

Cheers,
    Harv

Deuces, chryslerfan55 and Budget36 like this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

Can’t help, but great opening line!

Deuces likes this.
  3. Graham08

Graham08

Crower made fuel injection systems starting sometime in the mid-1960's and continuing through at least the 1970's...they may be just past HAMB-era stuff. The "8-hole" injection for blowers was pretty distinctive looking. Garlits used them on a number of different cars.

They also made eight stack injection systems for big and small block Chevy's. The McLaren M8 series Can-Am cars used them with Lucas timed metering. Kinsler still makes a Crower style manifold for big blocks which are used by a lot of supermodified racers now. The Crower manifolds had significantly larger butterflies than the Hilborn stuff available at the time.

I haven't seen the pills/jets like those with the O-ring. You can set up pretty much any mechanical fuel injection manifold to use Hilborn/Kinsler jets and bypasses and that's how all of them I've been around are. You would need to find a Crower bypass to use those jets.

Deuces, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. The Crower Fuel Injection Division was sold to "Ron's Racing" out of Tucson, AZ in 1990.

For Crower Injection information, contact Ron's Racing at 800-513-FUEL (3835)

Screenshot_20210429-071555_Chrome.jpg

5. I had a Crower 8 hole blower injector and it used Enderle type jets. That was the original small injector.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  6. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

This magnesium one's pretty clean Crower 8H.jpg

7. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Thanks gents.

I'll give Ron's a yell and see if they can fill in the story.

Cheers,
    Harv

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The pills that I have for Crower stack injector look like those minus the O ring.

9. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Didn't get any feedback from Ron's, though Alkydigger sent the response in italics to my question below:

I’ve asked around (including on some forums like the HAMB), though no-one yet recognises the pills. I would love to hear if these really are Crower bypass pills as suspected, or something else weird and wonderful

Yep….. I think I threw away 50 or so of those a few years ago They have to fit the large Crower by pass of course.

I'll put them back into the jar, but free to good home if anyone needs them.

Cheers,
    Harv

Deuces, Blues4U and loudbang like this.
  10. southcross2631

southcross2631

I ran a Crower stack injection unit for years and never had any pills that had o rings.
    I drilled my stack manifold and installed a nitrous fogger kit for my big block Chevy.
    If you ever run nitro with your unit make sure there is no foam in your fuel cell. It turns it into a nozzle plugging powder.
    Ron's tech support was a joke. When I first got mine I shipped it to them for a rebuild and they had me plumb the system wrong. They had one older guy that really knew his stuff, but they had a bunch of young dumb asses who knew about their toilet systems but that's it.

Deuces likes this.
  11. pnevells

pnevells

I run a Crower stack injection on our nostalgia altered, I purchased it through Alkydigger . It came with regular hilborn style jet pills. It ran fine however I have switched over to all Kinsler jets. The bypass valve housing will hold any style jets. I have learned to use all one manufacture jets as they vary size wise between manufacturers and can lead to confusing jet change results. Mike at Alkydigger is a great source for tuning and setup information
    breathers.jpeg

12. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

The things we find when we search. So crower stack injection is not OT here on the hamb? Cool old thread and no my system doesn't take pills with O-rings either.