Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2021 Vintage Torquefest

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Luke S., Mar 18, 2021.

1. Luke S.

Luke S.
    from Ocala, Fl.

First timer on this one for me. Planning on making the trek up from Florida. I see the Baymont Hotel is the host hotel. There's also a Holiday Inn Express near by. Both about the same price. Anyone have any experience, reviews of either? Are there any hot rod shops, etc. near by? Events on Thursday? Interesting points of interest? Good restaurants?

Sent from my VS996 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

We always stay at the Holiday Inn Express. It’s a great show you’ll like it I think. As for the Hotels, the Holiday Inn is fine. There are a few things around to do. we went to the field of dreams site one year. The Pickers place isn’t terribly far away. I brought my bicycle and rode a trail last year before the show. I’m sure others will chime in Doug or John maybe?

chryslerfan55 and Luke S. like this.
  3. Speed~On

Speed~On

As Russco stated, the Holiday Inn will be fine. You will see a lot of cars at the hotels in the area and you'll be close to the fairgrounds. There's numerous restaurants in that immediate area as well. I'm not sure what else there is to do in Dubuque proper as I'm not from Iowierd. The Mississippi River museum is just down the hill (near the river of course)
    In years past there has been a hot rod parade in downtown Dubuque Thursday evening. The city allows open headers/exhaust for the parade and weekend in support of the show (at least they have in the past). Friday morning there has been a group of guys that meet at a restaurant for breakfast before the show. They will post on the HAMB when and where they meet.
    If the weather is nice, you will have an amazing weekend! I have attended every VTF and I can tell you it's an outstanding event. Make sure you go to the Fairgrounds Friday night as there is one hell of a flame throwing show.

Here is my coverage from the 2019 VTF:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/my-2019-vintage-torque-fest-adventure.1149021/

chryslerfan55 and Luke S. like this.
  4. GTS225

GTS225

Just 30 days!....'scuse me....29 days.

Roger

5. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are bored on Thursday you can always stop by the fairgrounds and help me put the invited cars in the building. We are always looking for good help!

6. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Don't know anything about the hotels, but the wife and I are planning driving the Rambler up on sat .
    Should be an interesting 3hr drive!

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. us054382

us054382

This is a fun show, in a great area. You might spend time in Galena Il, not far and can easily spend the better part of a day there. Also, might drive up to Patosi Wi to visit the beer advertising museum, also very cool. Good luck, have a safe trip.

8. HalleysRevenge

HalleysRevenge

Going to my first fest as well. Spectating with my OT vehicle, camping and just bought a Coleman CT200U to make some mini bike havoc.

Weather looks to be great!

9. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Both the Baymont and Holiday Inn Express are in nice areas.

The Holiday Inn Express is maybe 10 +/- years old. The Baymont has probably been rehab-ed as it was a Heartland Inn. Obviously, I have not stayed at either.

There are tons of things to do in Dubuque and the surrounding area. Our Main Street area and 4th Street Elevator area have nice boutiques. Riding the 4th Street Elevator is fun. It is the steepest cable car in the country, possibly the world. There are the Mines of Spain and Crystal Lake Caves which offer trails/hiking just south of town. The Field of Dreams movie site is west of town in Dyersville (25 min from fairgrounds).

If parks are your thing, we have several. Opening day is this Saturday, May 1 so visit after VTF. Murphy Park and Eagle Point Park have the best views. Eagle Point Park is in the Point Area and offers a great view of the Mississippi River and Lock and Dam #11.

If none of that sounds fun, you can always come to my house and cut grass. ;)