Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical T5 to a Slant w/ Hyraulic T.O.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fredsgarage, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Fredsgarage

Fredsgarage
    from San Leando

Have a 64 Dart with what will be a turbocharged Slant 225. The 200lb A833 (4 speed) and its Cast Iron Bellhousing weigh half as much as the car. They gotta go.
    I am looking to put an aluminum T5 and a Hydraulic T.O. Bearing to make it all easier.
    Anyone attempted this kind of conversion?

2. 60Pioneer

60Pioneer

I believe there's a how-to thread over on slantsix.org. It's definitely been done. Takes some crafty machining. The OD 833 is aluminum, only weighs 75lbs, and can still be found in trucks and Ram vans. It'd be easy to make up a bracket for a push type slave cylinder or get an American Powertrains hydraulic throw out bearing. The cast iron is only 120 lbs. I've bench pressed mine in and out like 4 times on the floor, couldn't do that if it weighed 200 haha. Ooorrr.... you can check out passonperformance.com. They make an A-855 5speed. It's aluminum, is the same physical size, and has some awesome gear ratios. Good luck to ya!

3. 73RR

73RR

I doubt tht a T5 will hold up...the best WC units top out at 300 lb-ft.
    If you are crafty enough then look at the Aisin AX15.

4. 6sally6

6sally6

They(T-5's) can be upgraded to handle a lot more torque...(it's only pictures-of-dead-presidents)
    Unless the car is being tubbed......the rear tires will spin before the T-5 gives up (to a degree!)...Slicks and all bets are off...
    6sally6

5. Countless 833 overdrive's were put behind slant six's starting about 1975 in Darts as well as pickup's/van's. The aluminum bellhousing is unique to the OD trans but a give away as not many are in demand. The V/8's bellhousing is a little rarer - the bearing and retainer is bigger on the OD 833 trans - that's the difference.

6. dwollam

dwollam

I have the Mopar overdrive behind behind a 340. I hate it! Gear ratio spacings are terrible. Going to go back to a regular 4 speed soon. Mopar uses the same 4 spd behind the slant 6 as the small block.

Dave