Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Question for Aussie's & Kiwi's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Here in South Carolina the law requires that you purchase liability and uninsured motorist coverage to drive legally in the state. Auto insurance is divided into two basic coverages: liability and physical damage.

Like any place in the worl there will be some knuckleheads that let their insurance ;aps and others that don't even have a drivers license due to being caught drunk driving. HRP

3W JOHN and bchctybob like this.
  2. Most are fabricated, some look good,others not so much.
    Never seen m/cycle fenders used here. 35/6 spare wheel surrounds get used a bit , as are glass ones.

3W JOHN likes this.
  3. 97

I have a 1/4 of a 36 spare wheel surround on my Indian Motocycle 648 race bike.

Barrelnose pickup and 3W JOHN like this.
  4. bchctybob

bchctybob

Thanks for the responses. This is all very interesting. I would have thought that mandatory proof of insurance would be the norm in Aus and NZ these days.
    Here in California you have to provide proof of insurance to drive your car on public roadways. Of course, like you mentioned, that doesn’t stop people from driving (and crashing) without insurance or vehicle tags or driver’s licenses. But the vehicle age, origin, condition, or modifications doesn’t factor in much with the exception of air pollution controls (for certain years) and some gray market cars.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3W JOHN likes this.
  5. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't waste any time getting the 'no fenders law' extended past 1934 since cars made after 1934 look better with fenders.

3W JOHN, 3banjos and 97 like this.
  6. Mine are simple flat aluminum powder coated satin black to try and blend in with the tyre. IMG_0896.JPG

GasserTodd and 3W JOHN like this.
  7. gmanrides

gmanrides
    from TN

I just sold the 32 in my avatar to a gentleman in Australia. Here's what I have learned so far. He has to put cycle guards on (fenders), No asbestos in brakes, needs turn indicators, retractable seat belt, and a new law that came down two months ago that no left handed drive cars built after 1989 can be brought in to Australia. Holy Gizmo!

3W JOHN likes this.
  8. hudson48

hudson48

I stand to be corrected but I read a recent directive on our Association site that approves cars in Qld for hot rod registration. I think that you can import them but they have to be converted to right hand drive to get Qld registration. Will look for more info on this. The asbestos thing is a big deal and you need to use a reputable importer to make sure you comply. Need to remove anything with asbestos like clutches,brake linings etc. I have hear that it can cost thousands$ if not done properly.

3W JOHN and Lil32 like this.
  9. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Seems like a little over reaction on the asbestos front. Do they actually take the tranny out to check the clutch disc?

3W JOHN likes this.
  10. 97

NO they don't dismantle , they use a hole saw and cut inspection holes , if you cant prove that the car is asbestos free, ask my mate with a now useless E type Jag he took home to Aussie from NZ.

3W JOHN likes this.
  11. -Worse- they are now looking at asbestos plate facings on auto trans- yes, the ones that are soaked in ATF and cannot physically shed any fibres!. "They" don't take anything out- "you" have to bring it in without a clutch plate &they will look under the inspection plate, and if they see a clutch plate in there, it's a BIG fine , same goes with brakes shoes, exhaust manifold gaskets , some old head linings, etc. Same goes if the vehicle has the old black sound deadening still in place- because it used to have asbestos in it. I have been looking at bringing in a late 40's-early 50's pick-up, but with all this asbestos bullshit the government has churned up, I have given up and will probably get something that was bought into Australia before the asbestos paranoia legislation came in. (but its OK to bring in new pick-ups made in northern north Australia with asbestos in the brake linings still!)

3W JOHN likes this.
  12. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

This whole asbestos thing is so bad here (well not so bad as in Australia) that they are changing the name of our charming town of Asbestos, Quebec:
    [​IMG]

3W JOHN likes this.
  13. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Damn!

14. Gofannon

Gofannon

So what are they doing about Wittenoom then?

[​IMG]

Scumdog likes this.
  15. clem

clem

I would be more concerned about freezing to death than worrying about the asbestos..........
    Now back to our regular program.......

GasserTodd likes this.
  16. twenty8

twenty8

To all Aussies and Kiwis, just a special mention on Anzac Day.
    " LEST WE FORGET "

Sorry @HOTRODPRIMER , seemed appropriate on this thread. Hope you don't mind.

wandi harry and midroad like this.
  17. Scumdog

Scumdog

Damn right!

An aweful sacrifice by those guys, great ANZAC service here this morning in memory of them.

twenty8 and wandi harry like this.
  18. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

Australia is basically a big desert with some folk living on the edge where the sea lives. New Zealand is basically a swamp where if theres a drag race planned, it rains.

I have always found it strange that we Kiwi swamp dwellers can run (pre 1935 only) cars fenderless, and our Aussie mates, some of whom were 5 years old before they even saw rain, have to run ugly fenders

Beanscoot, wandi harry and Mimilan like this.
  19. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

As a Fiat Topolino drag racing tragic, I am still frustrated that I can not road register a fenderless "street legal fuel altered" style Topo hot rod here in New Zealand.

I guess I could try and register one as a 2021 LVVTA replica 1934 Fiat 500, but if there was actually a bloke/blokess in the registration office who knew there was no such thing, then I will have wasted a lot of time, effort and dollars. And at my advancing age, time effort and dollars are in limited supply Baloo.jpg Bad News (10).JPG

20. Mimilan

Mimilan

Pete Lodge originally ran "Baloo" with bobbed rear fenders
    upload_2021-4-25_22-36-50.png

GasserTodd likes this.
  21. grdra1

grdra1

I recently finished my car to the street rod registration guidelines in the state of Victoria, I found the guidelines easy to follow and the engineer I used had a common sence approach and made the registration process not as painful as I initially thought it would be. The guidelines are generally based on sound engineering practices, just my experience. I ended up making my own cycle guards and Im starting to like them more and more - I did not like the look of guards on hiboys but there growing on me. Glen P1010105.JPG P1010101.JPG P1010582.JPG 323.JPG

GasserTodd and midroad like this.
  22. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

Unfortunately the New Zealand "fender exemption" laws are for an exemption only. So that means you have to run completely fenderless to get the fender exemption. Thats the way they are written, and thats the way they are enforced. If you have tyres sticking out past the guards, you cant have a fender exemption. So they cover fenderless cars built (or resembling cars built) before 1 January 1935.

I bought a 26 T coupe with the classic 80s cartoon rear tyres outside the rear guards (I liked the look) and couldnt get it on the road in that way.

early on.jpg

so we removed the guards completely

Family Camera May 2012 078.JPG

23. Just a caveat for all these posts. Australia is made up of states and not all states have the same laws and rules. This applies as much to car registration as anything else.

Having said that, the asbestos thing is a Federal government mandate.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  24. Gofannon

Gofannon

My neighbourhood has been over run lately with the #bikelife guys, illegal dirt bikes, no licence, no helmets or safety gear, riding dangerously. Cops seem to be doing jack about it. Maybe we should just start up #jalopylife, mobs of old greybeards terrorising the streets in their fenderless jalopies? Something I will seriously consider when I am at the thin end of life and still have the energy to bust out of a nursing home. With the current trajectory of the Marxist NZ Govt the days of being legally allowed to drive a hot rod in NZ are numbered. Watch out for the slow creep of legislation, and make the most of the freedoms we have at the moment.

97 likes this.