Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Saturday Art Show, Prints,various Artwork, Automotive Related

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wicarnut, Nov 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

These are some I've pulled off of various sites. I think most of the artists names are showing.

Attached Files:

Frogz, 41 GMC K-18, Flat Roy and 6 others like this.
  2. PoTaToTrUcK

PoTaToTrUcK

3. I may have posted this before and if I have please forgive my being,"chronologically-challenged". These works were done by a good friend of mine:the late Greg DePauw of Metamora Illinois. I first met Greg at the Route 66 show in Pontiac Illinois and my friend Shane Syx and I striped his wheelchair.Although having been a quadriplegic since 1974 due to an accident he still managed to get around quite well.His brother had constructed a 37 Ford sedan that had a Ford Taurus drivetrain that allowed him to put in a flat floor and a ramp to get the wheelchair into the car and drive.
    Some time later Greg called and asked if we would like to attend one of his annual art shows that he put on to raise money to buy art supplies for underprivileged kids in his area. Although I couldn't attend I did send a couple works to be auctioned.
    The next year he asked if I would like to decorate one of his resin cast auto creations and I accepted.
    I wound up doing several models for him before his untimely passing.So here are some of Greg's creations cast in resin.The last one was the one with the Chrysler hood ornament affixed to it.The "rivets" on the wings are just painted to look 3D.
    The first two pics are of Greg and one of his art pieces. Rest in peace my friend! GregDePauw with the Rocket Kar just out of the mold..jpg GregsArt1.jpg DePauwKetRocket2016 002.jpg DePauwKetRocket2016 003.jpg GregsCar7.JPG GregsCar010.JPG PeaceHawk2.JPG PeaceHawk3.JPG SlimeCar001.JPG SlimeCar002.JPG GregsNewest1.jpg GregsNewest3.jpg

4. A Mike DuBois creation that even Von Dutch could appreciate. IMG_1181.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. wicarnut

wicarnut

6. wicarnut

wicarnut

7. wicarnut

wicarnut

8. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Hot Rod/custom car murals in So Cal are hard to find. But, when one drives by or has driven by the established business that prompted the artwork, it is impressive. One day while driving through our area of Costa Mesa, CA, I noticed a barber shop sign that was part of a big chain of cool barbershops that were a little off the center of the society’s normal barbershop look.
    upload_2021-5-1_4-12-33.png
    Prior to the pandemic, it was a different barbershop. Yes, similar in that chairs, scissors, buzzers and brooms were all included as do other shops. But, the outside was an indication that something was different.

The mural was highlighted by things “Costa Mesa.” Significant things that Costa Mesa was well known for, over its past history. (Cool cars, entry into the popular music scene locals, old historic shops, etc.) Grant Boys is a name only local So Cal folks would know and remember.
    upload_2021-5-1_4-17-5.png Dec 2020
    We all know the restrictions placed on businesses and it was to fight back in the best way possible with less physical contact. So, some businesses took the fall.
    upload_2021-5-1_4-18-19.png
    Pandemic closed barbershop in Costa Mesa.

Jnaki

There are/were two Floyd’s Barbershops in Costa Mesa. They are about 4 miles as the crow flies. One is still open and the other is permanently closed.

upload_2021-5-1_4-28-19.png

9. wicarnut

wicarnut

10. wicarnut

wicarnut

11. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-5-8_4-37-42.png
    Venice, CA

Hello,

Mural artists have a certain skill that is hard to comprehend. The artist definitely has a sketch in his preliminary drawings and sketchbook. But, to put them on a side of a building is pretty outstanding. Kudos to the city for allowing a great outlet for mural artists. A skill that never goes out of style.

Jonas Never has designed and painted many murals in So Cal and elsewhere for the Floyds Barbershop chain. But, his art is definitely different and all over So Cal locations. It is surprising to accidently drive by a location and see it in person. Whatever the situation.
    upload_2021-5-8_4-39-23.png Venice, CA on one of the main drags leading to the beach, but that parking lot is tiny and charges a ton to park. Very shady indeed.

Before the pandemic hit, my wife and I were coming home from a several-day vacation road trip to Santa Barbara and Northern coastal cities. As we usually by pass the jam up on the 405 freeway near the LAX airport, we usually drive down Highway 1/101 through the beach communities. It is so much easier and a better drive going either way to bypass the airport traffic.

But, upon going through Venice Beach, we decided to drive to the beach and find some parking for our “local adventure.” As tourist season was in full swing, almost every parking spot on the streets near the beaches were full. The smaller parking lots were not any better and they charged an un-godly amount for parking in a “shady” area. It is shady and not in the cooling temperature kind of shade. (leave your keys and car unlocked kind of shady...)

Jnaki

So, we decided to just drive slowly through the beach town streets. We were going South for our Manhattan Beach destination for dinner and waiting for the traffic to die down. When on a vacation, one must think ahead for traffic patterns learned over the 50 plus years of So Cal history.

Venice is an unusual beach town, but as nice as it is portrayed on TV and the movies, it isn't what it seems to be. But, it is close to a much better attraction, Santa Monica, the neighbor, a few steps up the coast... YRMV

Plus, a few miles away is another from Jonas Never
    upload_2021-5-8_4-42-14.png
    Floyd's Barbershop in Venice, CA

prominent South Bay locations:
    upload_2021-5-8_4-43-42.png Venice, CA

upload_2021-5-8_4-44-1.png Mar Vista, CA

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  12. Fordors

Fordors

A4D41885-B094-4891-B7A6-4C8ABE37FC87.jpeg

Here’s Herman Lesmeister’s funny car named Magical Mystery, it was the former Farkonas, Coil & Minick Chi-Town Hustler Barracuda.
    I was surprised to see it with the Super Barracuda name, Herman, RIP, was a local hobby racer that raced F/C class for a few years. The painting makes me wonder who commissioned it, he has a brother that is still alive so I’ll try to contact him and ask about the Super ‘cuda name.
    Another local racer gets credit on the front fender- Ralph Ferone. Ralph had a beautiful ‘55 Chevy gas class car with a 2x3 rectangular tube frame from the firewall forward and a straight axle. It ran a 426 Hemi with Hilborn stack injection. The car was arrow straight and painted black, lettered in gold leaf on the quarters was My Baby Is Black.

13. Magical Mystery you say? Did it ever umm, go on tour?

Lil32 and wicarnut like this.
  14. Lil32

Lil32

Artist Hoon Auto Gear
    Cartoons_0001.jpg

15. wicarnut

wicarnut

16. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-5-15_4-43-42.png
    Doug Smith - "Beach Party" Utility Box Location: Park Lantern and Dana Point Harbor Dr.

Hello,

The City of Dana Point has a utility box mural program going into Phase 2. Local artists are to submit designs to compliment the artwork of the surrounding neighborhood.

We used to drive into the Doheny State Beach entrance back in the late 50s through 1965 for some unusual surfing. The parking at the rough State Beach shoreline parking lot was fun, as our friends from Long Beach would all park in the same general area. We wanted to be closer to the cliff side.

Jnaki

The waves in front of the old parking lot were the ones the current people ride and see on good swell days. The waves we wanted were slightly hidden from the parking lot as the rocky shoreline curved hiding some of the best waves on the coast. Always glassy, thanks to the tall cliffs and sea weed growth. If there was a big windy day, the waves were a little bumpy. But, not completely blown out like the open areas around the “everyday waves” that everyone rode and saw every time a beach trip was in session.

The best waves along the coast were where the overpass is to the current, East Island Drive roadway and boat docks. The cliffs took care of the wind, the seaweed took care of the surface winds or swell. The rocky bottom reefs took care of the great peak and long rides left toward the pier or right to the now, Doheny State Beach area. Gone, but not forgotten.
    upload_2021-5-15_4-46-45.png
    The electrical power switch box art is located at the intersection of the State Beach entrance and Harbor Drive. If one is to continuing going around the curvy road, then the general harbor comes into view. The old waves have been gone since 1970 and sometimes, these days, the big giant swells bring in huge waves that wrap around the big cliffside at the North end of the harbor, only to be smashed on the breakwater and current rocky beaches. The boats are safe for now.

41 GMC K-18, i.rant, Lil32 and 4 others like this.
  17. Thought I would add this to the mix for today's art show. I met up today with a good friend of mine from Grand Rapids named Wayne Edwards for breakfast.He had printed up some copies of a book I was toying with the idea of publishing and he also presented me with a copy of his latest coloring book: a tribute to an artist friend of his named Bob Neuman.
    Bob;in addition to being a pretty great automotive artist also had a full custom 51 Merc that was featured in Custom Rodder magazine MANY years ago. He also owned and was trying to restore the Alexander Brothers 56 Ford the Futurian.
    Bob passed away awhile back and Wayne decided to do a book with some of Bob's drawings in the form of a coloring book to help Bob's widow with some expenses. Wayne is a great photographer and has done quite a few books such as this. This is the first one he has done in awhile as he is in the process of building a full custom 54 Kaiser that he made into a convertible.Oh yeas and by the way Wayne is 80 years old and still going strong!
    I called him tonight to ask if would be all right for me to post a picture of the cover of the book and a couple of the illustrations within and he consented. So without further ado here it is for your viewing pleasure. Hope everyone enjoys it. And if anyone would like a copy they can contact Wayne directly. I will put an ad in the For Sale section later. Wayne'sBookOfBobNeumanDrawings 001.jpg Wayne'sBookOfBobNeumanDrawings 002.jpg Wayne'sBookOfBobNeumanDrawings 003.jpg Wayne'sBookOfBobNeumanDrawings 004.jpg Wayne'sBookOfBobNeumanDrawings 005.jpg Wayne'sBookOfBobNeumanDrawings 011.jpg Wayne'sBookOfBobNeumanDrawings 015.jpg Wayne'sBookOfBobNeumanDrawings 019.jpg Wayne'sBookOfBobNeumanDrawings 028.jpg Wayne'sBookOfBobNeumanDrawings 030.jpg

18. Lil32

Lil32

Artist Hoon Auto Gear
    Cartoons.jpg

19. Excellent. Party on.

loudbang and wicarnut like this.
  20. wicarnut

wicarnut

21. wicarnut

wicarnut

22. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-5-22_4-15-34.png

Hello,

In Oceanside, near the Camp Pendleton Marine Base, the city has ok’d street art to complement hotels, businesses and other parts of the city. One of the most unusual is the one that was on The Fin Hotel.
    upload_2021-5-22_4-16-21.png
    Artist, Lisa Kelly did some unusual artwork with old cars and it fit, as the hotel once was built in 1927 as the Keisker Hotel. It has gone through many names since and arriving with the association of the fin from local dolphin herds.
    upload_2021-5-22_4-17-9.png
    The artwork is pretty intense as it depicts Oceanside and its name sake, being near the ocean-side, as it shows various parts of the city with the old cars.

Jnaki

upload_2021-5-22_4-17-44.png
    que sera photos

upload_2021-5-22_4-18-27.png

The mural, painted by Southern California artist Lisa Kelly, incorporates the cool The Fin Hotel neon sign.

upload_2021-5-22_4-19-27.png

23. I had Joe Henning paint the picture of my Dad in his midget for Dad's birthday.

[​IMG]

24. Nice art on the '64 Speed Week program.
    [​IMG]

25. Lil32

Lil32

Artist Hoon Auto Gear
    Cartoons_0006.jpg

26. How about this artwork on Roy Leslie's business card from 1957. Means a lot to me as this was given to me by the man himsef.

[​IMG]

27. Gene Mooneyham by Cindi Gibbs.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.