Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flathead with Ross Pistons

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Apr 24, 2021.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I'm having a mild Flathead built and I choose Ross forged pistons as I have used them in several builds in the past with no problems. Over on the Ford Barn I'm getting some push back from a noted FH builder for my choice. I've had no problems in the past and am curious if anyone on here has had a bad experience?

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Small car to the left had Ross pistons. Set records. Seemed OK to me.

stillrunners and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Roothawg

Roothawg

Any custom pistons bought by a major mfg is going to be ok. Gone are the days of Badger cast pistons that vary in size by .010". The tolerances are way tighter nowadays.

I would ask him why? These things put out a whopping 85 HP from the factory. I would thing a pop can would get you that far, anything else is gravy.

alanp561 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. nor6304

nor6304
    from Indiana

I had a 46 motor built 2 years ago My builder told he wanted to use Ross pistons & Scat rods 4" Mercury crank 276 cu in I could not be happier with it runs great has some snap to it & just fun to drive I would have him do it again

kidcampbell71 and PoTaToTrUcK like this.

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it has more to do with extra cost (on a street engine) than any unsuitability. You will have to run larger clearances that you would with cast pistons, so the worst case is you may be paying extra for a little noise when the engine is cold.:rolleyes:

On my last build, I used a set of 3 5/16" Offenhauser cast pistons on close-out at Speedway. I paid slightly over $100 for pistons, rings, and pins. They work totally fine. Compare that to the cost of a set of Ross pistons.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Today’s forged pistons do not have clearances of the past. JE’s for my HD called for .000” at the bottom of the skirt. We made it .002”. I just had Ross make a custom set for my sons .060” over 302 GMC and they were tighter at the bottom than the ones 30 years ago. They are perfect with no noise..

7. Yes,,,,,,it’s not the quality,,,,,it’s quantity of money .
    The Ross are the best,,,,but in a mild street engine,,,,complete overkill as far as being needed .
    The cast pistons can handle all the power that a nice street engine will ever put out .
    The barn was just asking about needing to spend the money,,,,and the added clearance for forged pistons .
    I think a good cast piston can handle close to 400 hp in most applications ,,,,,,the forged Ross customs can go the limit of anything in the engine .
    The Ross are dead on in bore size,,,,,what you order,,,,they will mic that size .

But,,,,,,if you can save a few hundred bucks,,,,,when the cast will easily get the job done,,,,,why go overkill .
    Most modified street flatheads see about 150 -170 hp ,,,,,maybe,,,,,,that is well within a cast piston strength.
    And the new cast pistons are spot on as well,,,,,,most mic almost dead on,,,,,if not dead on,,,,,,for eight in a set,,,,,,that’s not bad .
    It’s your money and your decision,,,,,go with whatever makes you feel good .

Tommy

Silvair likes this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

If a guy wants to build an overkill flathead, I'm all for it. ;)

9. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

1- Forged street pistons are NO more noisy than cast pistons. Be sure to specify "street use" when ordering.
    2- Forged pistons cost more.
    3- Forged pistons will stand much more abuse from bad tuning, poor quality fuel and over heating, likely to be found
    in street use.
    4- FORGED PISTONS ARE CHEAP INSURANCE. Ask yourself, why are you modifying the engine at all if you will never stick your foot in it and drive it like an old lady.

joel, rat bastad, triumph 1 and 5 others like this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am in the overkill crowd.

I have never owned a motor with cast pistons...unless it was a factory deal. If technology allows, I am upgrading. Is it necessary? Probably not. Do I care, not really.

It kinda falls into the camp of if you are building a Flathead , why not build a 21 stud? Because the 24 stud had improvements. I try and take advantage of advances in materials and technology.

My Cadillac Custom pistons an pins will run me a grand. No biggie, I just tell the wife they don’t make cast pistons anymore.

I don’t have a dog in this fight, and I am sure the new cast pistons are way better than the old ones, but what if ever wants to run a turbo or nitrous?

I’m kidding.....calm down.:D

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    joel and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

In many of the street driven flathead builds I do Ross pistons are always my choice. Never had a bad experience. Ross pistons are in all of the record setting vintage engines I build top speed so far with a flathead block is now 229 MPH the pistons held up perfectly.
    I have found on the Ford Barn there's a whole lot of guys who would never spend any money for something of quality they always complain about not having the money to do things. Don't waste time on any push back your getting do what you want and you will be happy you did.
    Ronnieroadster

12. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Just so you will know, there are 2 different types of forged pistons. It has to do with the way the basic material is formed. As always, one is better than the other. This time not by much though.

13. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

Also with the Ross you can take advantage of modern ring technology... thinner rings equal less drag

jimmy six and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  14. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Thanks Ronnie. I assumed that was the case. I've had 6 FH engines built to date with Ross pistons and have no problems with any of them. I never mind spending a little more for a quality product.

Desoto291Hemi and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There you go.^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Modern rings mean less to no wear on that old blocks cylinder walls.