Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Freight company wrecked a 32 frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Apr 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Am I the only who has trouble with truck freight? Today I deliver a 32 chassis/frame I had just finished to the XPO terminal 75 miles away and while I was picking up my straps I heard a crash and saw the forklift operator backing away from a 8 inch steel post that he had just crashed my fresh frame into. He just backed up and headed into the terminal, set down the pallet and walked away as nothing had happened. Bent the rear spreader bar badly. I finally found the terminal manager who said that happens a lot lately. He said they would rebuild the pallet and restrap the frame for shipment. I couldn't take the frame back to my shop because of the distance that I would have to haul it. I sent the customer a new spreader bar with instructions to check the frame for any added damages from the trip. Now I'm wondering what else will happen on the trip to WI. I'm tired of incompetent SOB's that don't give a dam about other peoples property. I have always taken pride in what I build. Please excuse my ranting.

2. One might think the dipshit would actually value his job these days. After so many have been out of work. Glad you saw it and made it right with the buyer, at your expense no less!

lothiandon1940, X38 and Lil32 like this.
  3. nobrakesneeded

nobrakesneeded

Thats what makes it difficult these days to even want to build a car, the things you have to trust others to do for you, only to be supremely disappointed in their actions and/or results.

olscrounger and X38 like this.
  4. egads

egads

Some people get pissed if they have go to work. They can make more money staying home nowadays.

5. BJR

BJR

So what did the manager say about paying for the damage they caused?

6. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Me too

Flathead Dave and williebill like this.
  7. twenty8

twenty8

They call it "progress". Just ask any youngster and they will tell you how much better the world is today. I'm not so sure I agree.................. Attitudes and work ethics can leave a lot to be desired these days.

Pretty sure the fine print will absolve them of any liability, which just contributes to the "I don't give a damn" way of doing business. So frustrating................:mad::mad::mad:

8. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

It's actually the exact opposite. People under 30 literally don't want to work. We can't find help at my place, and we pay good. They're getting free government money. Until that ends, the hiring pool is like the gene pool nowadays: shallow.

9. Most logistic and freight companies up here’s how use “ temp” workers day labour, when your busy you bring them in and when your not you send em packing.
    Why would you give a crap if it’s not even your job ?
    Incredibly stupid way to do business, as most of my customers who have gone this way now complain as damaged goods and equipment is up and so are work place injuries.

but wages are down so I guess it’s a win ?:confused:

10. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

A friend of mine had a frame shipped and the forklift driver tore the front shock brackets off

11. lake_harley

lake_harley

The company I worked for years ago get a lot of freight by truck and it seemed a much higher percentage of shipments on Yellow Freight (now merged into YRC or something?) arrived with damage. I asked a friend of mine who was a delivery driver for the "old" Yellow Freight line if each driver was responsible for damaging freight or if there was a special terminal they sent things to to be damaged. I don't think he appreciated the question.

Lynn

12. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I was in the ltl (less than truckload) freight business for most of my 40 plus years in the trucking. Xpo would be my first choice for a carrier. High claims and poor customer service, when the TM tell you we damage frt all the time now. Wow

13. rusty valley

rusty valley

The modern worker is one of the main reasons i retired from the construction biz, dirt work. the new guys couldnt read a tape measure or understand how a level works. Only thing that mattered was "what time will we be off today?" Sorry for the rant, best wishes Krylon32

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

When I had my shop I received several shipments via 'Yellow Freight'.
    I commented to a driver one day that any company worth their salt would own up to their mistakes.
    Or they were 'Yellow'.
    I'm SURE he didn't appreciate my 'candor'...

klleetrucking and lake_harley like this.
  15. catdad49

catdad49

No ambition, No accountability. Coming back from the Southeast Gassers race saw all sorts of places hiring and there seems to be a lot of jobs available around Virginia Beach. Almost want to go back to work........Almost!

hotrodjack33 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. I got a set of frame rails and they were shipped yellow freight, the truck showed up at Brenda's shop and before I could get out the door to help I saw the rails being shoved off the back of the trailer with a loud bang when they hit the concrete in the parking lot, when I examined them the front frame horns were severely bent as I was looking I noticed the back of the rails were bent also, I believe that happen in transit.

I refused to sign for them so he loaded them back up and away he went, I called the company I purchased them from and a few days later I received a new set of rails, this time they were on Southeastern, it seems the driver was a hot rodder too, these rails were perfect. HRP

17. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

We had a frame one time that looked like a fork lift driver had set the frame against a wall then centerpunched the rail at about 30 mph. This has been going on for a very long time. The freight industry seems to have a lot of people that just don't care.

18. 1ton

1ton

Forklift driver was probably texting somebody.

19. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

The US of A , as we knew it is gone . It’s a sad thing . I can remember getting new employees on the pipeline crew , and them telling me , “ hey I don’t dig for 8 dollars and change ( this was in the late 70s ) ! “ I reminded them I started digging for $3.45 an hour and “ If you don’t do it , I’m goin to spank your azz in front of these men , and send your whining azz home to Mommy , for her to listen to you “! It’s so different now , not one young person wants to work . America can no longer support its own self . We are no longer the land of the free and home of the brave . I as most of us have worked many hard long days to support our families . We were the backbone of the country . The backbone is now broken . There is not one young person , that will stand tall for the red white and blue today . No one cares if they destroy some one else’s property or life there is no longer accountability that made US strong .

20. The country is going to hell in a hand basket.

aircap and 210superair like this.
  21. Budget36

Budget36

Gents, it’s not the kids, it’s how they were raised. I’ve 3!daughters, 19, 24 (soon) and 26. All three are full time workers. Now none of them are welding pipelines, or digging ditches, but all three do a minimum of 40 a week.
    The kids you speak of are not mine.

Mechman_22, Shamus, catdad49 and 13 others like this.
  22. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

While in agreement....

23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

24. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are not mine, either. My boys started to earn their own money when they found out that their free ride was simply a figment of their imagination. They bought their own cars and paid for their own insurance. Both worked and kept their grades up. The missus and I paid for college as long as their grades were up there. They did not disappoint us. Kids, generally, are a direct reflection of their upbringing alone with a strong work ethic they can see.

I almost forgot-- I had some 10' pieces of e-track ordered and coming by XPO. I sat around all day on a Monday expecting the delivery per their web site. Same story on Tuesday. They showed up on Wednesday morning in one piece. The website stated on all three days that the order was sitting on the XPO dock waiting to be loaded.

egads, AccurateMike and Budget36 like this.
  25. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

I have 2 sons . I agree with Budget36. The youth, and the country, you speak of are not mine either.
    I shipped freight for 40 years. Only ever a few problems. The key is packaging. Sounds to me that people ship frames and rails loose or on a skid. Asking for trouble. They should go in a crate you could stack on. That way when the inevitable rough handling happens, the freight is not damaged. You could piss and moan about damage or pay for a crate up front. BTW, anyone that thinks freight damage is a new problem is full of shit. I have 40 year old claim forms around. Mike

26. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I’m so sorry to rant . Im sure there are many many good young people today . I just get frustrated at the acts I see and hear from some of the younger generation . Again I’m so sorry if offended anyone , I did not mean to . I’m just Old and simple minded anymore . Again I’m sorry to rant .

27. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It sure seems as service has slipped a good bit and people with a good work ethic are getting harder to find as well. My kids all had to work as well. All are doing well now and son, grandson and two nephews followed me into the lineman trade.

egads likes this.
  28. williebill

williebill

USPS, too. After being in business at the same location since 1973, suddenly, in the last 2 weeks, one small shipment meant for me was sent back for insufficient address, and another for "no access" at 7:23 PM. The shop closes at 6:00 PM and I saw their scan/pic of the insufficient address package, and I could clearly read my whole address, same one we've used all these years. When I went to the main post office to raise hell, I got the expected unspoken "fuck you" from the bag working the front.

29. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It`s there parents that didn`t teach them right. And the Boss that doesn`t tell them to straighten up or else.

catdad49, Truckdoctor Andy and egads like this.
  30. Mentioning Yellow Freight--why does a company named Yellow Freight paint its trucks orange? Shouldn't they be called Orange Freight?

rusty valley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.