Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hillbilly tech. Drive shaft shortening

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Apr 13, 2021.

1. SS Pete

SS Pete

EBSPEED, HI, think of a small vibration damper, only 3 inches in diameter. about a foot from the pinion. bonded with rubber ( like a motor mount) . the back half was a smaller size. last one I saw was my 1980 Pontiac Catalina wagon with 5.7 diesel. the gas car did not have it. then look at mid 1970 Fords, they had what looked like a small vibration damper on the Front of the driveshaft. Pete.

2. going to try that trick next time

3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rocket surgery!! Rocket surgery!! You California guys never get that right;)

4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On some OT Italian and German sporty cars the driveshaft rubber couplings are called "Giubos" and I can guarantee if they aren't installed right, there will be a high speed vibration from your butt to the top of your head.

anthony myrick likes this.
  5. gene-koning

gene-koning

I've shortened drive shafts using this method for years, probably hundreds of driveshafts over the years. I was one of those small shops guys took driveshafts to to get shortened.

Never had a problem with balance or phasing and some of the shafts I've shortened have been under pretty tough loads and spin at pretty high rpms. Gene

anthony myrick likes this.
  6. As a teenager, an old driveshaft rusted from in inside out and tube disintegrated. Had no money, it was a Saturday afternoon.......Took a piece of 2" water pipe, centered the ends really carefully with nails and welded it together. I'd be....that thing ran really true. Sometimes its just dumb luck. What was intended to be a temporary fix till I could get another driveshaft just got left in there.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

AKA the hand held milling machine ;)

Budget36 and anthony myrick like this.