Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1938 Chevy Coupe Running Board Mats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 03GMCSonoma, Apr 15, 2021.

1. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

IMG_1122.JPG I'm looking for rubber mats for the running boards on my '38. I know I'm going to scratch the paint so I would like mats to protect them. They are fiberglass and have some of the paint starting to peel. The car is black and I need more chrome on the car. Mats with some chrome pieces to set them off would be perfect. Have anyone put mats with chrome strips on their car already? Where did you get them? Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  2. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Are your boards glass ? The OEM mats have tabs that go through the steel boards and get twisted to keep them attached to the board . They have a steel backing attached to the rubber . I’m not sure how non OEM mats are made for a 37-39 Bow tie . My 32 Ford mats glue to the OEM boards .

3. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

4. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

Yes, they are glass. I would need something that would glue down.

5. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Another recommendation for Kris @ 'Runningboard Rubber'. I sent the old weathered OEM mats and boot scrapers to him from Australia for my 46 Olds and had them sent back here once done. Great service and a quality finish. Insofar as my 35 Chevy, I purchased aftermarket rubbers, when they were available, and glued them to new steel backs that I fabricated and bolted to the OEM running boards.

7. Just an idea if you want to take a different approach. . On my 46 Chevy pickup the running boards are coated with a glossy black bedliner coating Taped off to just do the area needed. Very durable for standing on and it blends in well with the black running boards. Raptor coatings is a reference.

8. oldolds

oldolds

Glue on mats here:
    MATS – iandireproduction.com
    No chrome on them though.
    Back in the 80's there were universal trim strip kits for side moldings. Chrome with colored insert trim. I have seen those used to make strips o n running boards. I have no idea if they are available today. They were marketed to car dealers as dress up items.

9. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I replaced those on my 46 Chevy coupe and got them from www.chevsofthe40s.com . They are stock items there. Jimmie

10. I would be on the lookout for stock steel running boards, paint them, (doesn't have to be show quality 90% of the running board is covered by rubber or stainless) then get the original style rubber on them. More practical, and it looks better than smoothies, in my opinion.

Any aftermarket universal rubber mat will look cheesy.

olscrounger likes this.
  11. alchemy

alchemy

20 years ago I had a 39 Chevy sedan with fiberglass running boards. Even with the stock style rubber covers I was scared to step on them - thought they'd crack. I'd never do a car with glass boards again.

olscrounger likes this.
  12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

13. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I wouldnt really trust a glass running board.
    I was taught at age 5 not to step on the running boards of our Model A as it would scuff the rubber. Managed to do it then, still in my head to not use them at 40 years old.
    Just dont step on them!

14. hepme

hepme

I have the orig. steel boards on my 40 coupe, have used various rubber coverings over the years but the repo originals by far the the best. Some of the home supply stores, home depot, etc. used to have a roll of rubber hall coverings that had 3/8"-1/2" ribs in them, looked very original. I used contact cement to hold them, but it would give out in a few years, especially on the ends. Like some of the others posts said, beware of the glass boards-although they might look better.