Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Extended delivery times on parts ordered?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott's 40, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Scott's 40

Scott's 40
    from VA

I bought a sofa for my living room yesterday but have to wait 22 months for the factory down in North Carolina to make it. Anything similar going on here? I am starting work on my 40 Ford frame and expect I'll be ordering a dropped front axle and everything else associated with rebuilding a front end. Same with the rear. Are there long delays between ordering and getting components?

2. I'm finding that to be true on an Off-Topic project car. I can't get headers anywhere for it.

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have produced my T5 to Flathead conversion kit for over 25 years and this is the first time I have not been able to ship the next day after receiving payment. I have several parts produced by a local machine shop and he is having problems obtaining materials to produce the parts plus they are getting more expensive. I think this is just the beginning of shortages. I buy a new Chevy pu every 2 years and my dealer said he will have to order in late June or early July so the truck comes in by the end of the year. Also noticed empty shelves at the local grocery store and Dollar General.

4. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

I predict these shortages will be met with creativity and we'll see more unique variety in builds during this era. Hotrodders will find a way.

My favorite cheapo imported carb scoops from speedway have been on backorder for months. Time to change it up I guess...

5. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

6. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Oh yeah, all sorts of shortages from raw materials to employees, lots of interruptions and delays. And costs.

AHotRod likes this.
  7. DuaneBallard

DuaneBallard
    from California

I've been waiting since January for wheels. They finally shipped a couple days ago.

8. Budget36

Budget36

Heck ya, I bought some CV axles off Amazon, even with Prime membership it took 9 days to get them.
    I think the key thing when buying parts now , assuming you’re getting ready to use them soon, is call and see if they are in stock and ready to ship.
    Many times it means you have to go somewhere else and pay more for the same thing.

9. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

22 months for new sofa? Where did you nap?

joel, Just Gary and Tman like this.
  10. Outfitting a new MCM styled living room. Have ordered several new pieces of furniture, all came within days. Car and bike stuff has all been normal shipping times to get here as well. I do know there are issues with some stuff, I just have not seen it personally.

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've been busy the last two years building my current project car, and have not had any difficulty with delayed shipments in the last two years. I do hear guys tell me they have had delays, but I guess I've been lucky to have none.
    Now on the other hand my neighbor and I tore the fence out between our backyards two weeks ago, and still waiting for the new fence materials to be delivered.

12. Yes and No!
    Not from Summit. Ordered two wheels Sunday, shipped them UPS Monday, made it to Memphis this AM, delivery tomorrow. And it was free!

Unfortunately, still no word from Marcus at ECI on my front brake kit!
    Did he get his flame cutter fixed?
    No communication from him in a week, email nor phone.
    Just crickets.
    Starting to resemble a mushroom factory.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  13. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

A friend is finally finishing up a 40 Deluxe he's had for 40 years and is having a hard time getting parts for it, everything is out of stock or backordered. I ordered a spare 21" tire for my stock 29 and the delivery date on it is almost 6 weeks, seems to be the way of the world now.

14. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

2 1/2 wks to get an order from TCP Global, it was screwed up and still is, won't answer emails, ordered a radiator for a Kia I have tore down, been over 2 wks and still haven't seen it. It's getting crazy trying to get anything!

AHotRod and Dads 57 like this.
  15. williebill

williebill

In my biz, I got an order of 6 "things" last week. I ordered a variety of them, total about 75. I got 6. I ordered the 75 in April of last year. Y'all ain't seen shit yet.

AHotRod and hotrodjack33 like this.
  16. I was looking to buy a trailer/car hauler and was quoted a minimum of 14 weeks for delivery... and the price was 25% higher than it was at the end of 2019...
    And don't even get me started on ammo and reloading supplies...
    Chappy

17. Wow, more demand for items, than there is supply. Hmm ,... people must have money to spend, while being bored during this times of staying at home. At my work, it seems that everyone is talking about purchasing furniture, or have furniture on back order. Even the young workers, who usually purchase only hot rod stuff for their pickups, hot rods, and demo derby cars are buying furniture ? ? ?

18. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's the "perfect storm". Lack of materials/manufacturing AND the USPS is way out of whack. Even if you can find the parts, the USPS can't guarantee that you'll get them.:(

williebill likes this.
  19. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ordered a Stewart Warner fuel gauge, no mounting bracket in the box. Called the supplier, who insisted on verifying that it was supposed to have one????? When I finally called him back (he was supposed to call me) he apologized profusely and sent a complete new gauge assembly (no charge) with a mounting bracket that is for something else. I ground it off to make it work. This has been the story of many of my most recent purchases. Even when you finally get what you ordered, you really didn't get it. The new normal....at least it wasn't a replacement pacemaker....just car parts
    Hope I didn't just jinx myself

20. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Took me over 2 months to get a set of Keith Black pistons for my Buick 455.

21. Charlietruck62

Charlietruck62

Hooker Headers coated, for 65+ ford galaxie with Fe, ordered from Summit 8-13-2020. Finally showed up 2 weeks ago. Seven and a Half months of delivery days moved back another month anytime it got close. Really don't want to order anything that isn't in stock now from anybody!!

22. BJR

BJR

Chrome shops around here are 4 to 6 months out on new plating jobs.

23. squirrel

squirrel

That's been my approach for quite a while....works out pretty well. There's usually another way to get the job done, besides ordering "vapor ware"

24. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Ford and Chevrolet and I think Toyota all closing plants because of a lack of computer chips for things like better fuel mileage. Car dealerships running low on inventory and no way to build new cars for the coming months.

Home depots and Lowes cannot get steady shipments of lumber or while vinyl fencing along with many other items.

I talk with a lot of people who work in purchasing, and they all tell me the same thing it's going to get harder to find things in the coming months.

Jimbo

25. gene-koning

gene-koning

Yep, if something is not "in stock" I do not order it. Find a different source, or find a substitute that can be made to work.

Pretty much the whole world has been shut down for a full year, with much of it still not functioning, what do you expect?

XXL__ likes this.
  26. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was a segment on NPR this morning about how bicycle parts whether simple or complicated, just are not available right now and bicycle repair shops are really feeling the pinch of the global supply chain back log! There is a high demand for bicycles right now, prices for new bikes are through the roof, and even used bicycles can command higher prices than usual ! The world has definitely changed!

williebill likes this.
  27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Been buying stuff off eBay and from Rock Auto, so far, got everything within a weeks time. And that’s with all three major carriers, USPS, UPS and FedEx.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The whole supply chain for many things is rather screwed right now. The hardwood for the frame for Scot's 40's couch might still be standing in the forest getting it's 2021 leaves out nice and green as the loggers had to shut down for a time period. The the mill the logs go to is way behind when they do get wood and are running with 1/4 the regular crew. Then the mill that does the fabric is backlogged.
    Pretty much the same as the metal for Krylon32's adapters, plants weren't running and now there are backorders on materials.
    Shipping I am going to say that is how you ship it.

I shipped a stainless headlight bar to a guy in the Bronx last week by UPS ground and it got there in five days. Sent a camera lens by USPS priority mail to a guy pretty much in the same general area and it got there in three days.
    Had a package shipped to me by regular mail from Southern California and it took almost two weeks, It seems like it liked certain post offices along the way enough to stay three days at them.
    Ordered a bunch of stake pockets for my trailer from somewhere down there and they came priority mail in 3 days and that box was heavy.

29. Just another case(s) of no one stocking anything, because they just want to get their 'piece of the pie' without making an investment: You order from them, they order from their supplier, the supplier orders from the manufacturer, the manufacturer orders steel from his steel supplier, the steel supplier orders from the steel mill. Then we hear from the seller: "nope, we don't have that part in stock, there's a steel shortage".
    In 'the good old days' (before the highly educated MBA's became a dime a dozen, and not worth a nickle by the way) the business mantra was "you can't sell it if you don't have it". Now days it's "send your money, I'll grab my share and order the part drop-shipped to you (as long as there's no steel shortage)". I'm sure that before the worldwide effects of COVID, et. al. is all over, a lot of businesses will go down the tube, which in a lot of cases will be because of their own practices. In boom times anyone can be successful, in tough times it's a different story. If it ain't in stock, I don't lay down any $$. The business that supports me by carry inventory gets my dollars.

Bangingoldtin likes this.
  30. Mac VP

Mac VP

We’ve always had the “you can’t sell it if you don’t have it” mantra here. We’ve never charged anyone a dime in advance for something we didn’t have in stock and ready to ship. I can count on one hand the number of times in any given year that we had something drop shipped to the customer.....and that was generally a special item or size that we didn’t stock anyway.

My point in stating this is that most vendors can show you many thousands of dollars in their inventory at any given time. I see full shelves in our two warehouses every day. The “take the money and then order the part” theory is definitely NOT common practice here or at most parts vendors.

For sure we do see occasional delays in getting product from some manufacturers and suppliers. Reproduction parts are often made in relatively small runs and we have to anticipate the potential periods of no product by stocking up more than one would want, in order to keep the item on the shelf here, even when the manufacturer is temporarily out of the part.

We often hear from the customer that they couldn’t find the item in stock elsewhere, and that we were their “last hope” to get the part.

I do believe that people are realizing how the pandemic has created supply problems and is pushing pricing upwards. We’ve held prices on many items while enduring a higher cost, but sometimes we have to adjust the selling price to compensate. I also believe that despite the price and availability issues, folks can still find almost any item if they hunt around a bit. We’ll refer people to other vendors for something we are out of, yet know that is sold elsewhere. I believe most legitimate vendors would do the same. The bottom line is that we really want to have it on the shelf, ready to ship out to you.

warbird1, AHotRod, Tman and 6 others like this.