Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical can you get 10'' 8/9'' axle reqar drum brake innards new - park-brake arms- shoe seperators

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nobby, Apr 12, 2021.

1. nobby

nobby

the little h - plates that go inder the hand brake springs - them too
    ?

2. You should be able to... I haven't checked lately but I know you used to be able to purchase 'hardware kits', some of which contained all of the small parts inside the drum. Spring kits are common (or used to be), the other bits could be purchased separately if need be. These parts are pretty 'generic', being pretty much identical right up until drum brakes went away. Here's one... Amazon.com: carlson H2313 Rear Drum Brake Hardware Kit: Automotive
    The only things missing here are the washer at the top anchor pin and the emergency spreader bar and brake lever. Here's the e-brake bits... ford 10 inch parking brake lever - Google Search and the washer.... ford 10 inch drum brake retaining washer - Google Search

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Unwelcome visitor: "Why are you keeping all these old drum brake parts in this day & age? Looks crazy."
    (This was in retrospect to his asking if I could help him with a 10 inch drum and related parts)

As he was an annoyance, (he'd been here before) I simply answered, "Take your drum and beat it."

williebill, Budget36 and High test 63 like this.
  4. Koz

Koz

Actually, I'm looking for the same thing, mostly the parking brake hardware. All the other stuff is available at NAPA and just about any reputable parts house. I just need the guts for a second generation 9" for the left side if there are any loose ones out there..... hint, hint!

5. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

the pony car we speek not of had 10x1 3/4 rears from 65 to 67 ish then 10x2 and wider untill 73 so you should be able to find any part aftermarket

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are Bendix brakes and will interchange amount manufactures as log as the diameter is the same. I used a 56 Ford 11” spreader and e-brake lever on a 57-63 Pontiac because they were also 11”.
    Since Currie builds compete Ford rears with either drum or disc they might sell those 2 items with the wave washer. Just a thought...

7. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I just did the rear brakes on an explorer rear, was able to get everything from the backing plate out new.

8. Koz

Koz

jetnowl, Do you remember the source for those parts?

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The problem with Ford Brakes from late 50's on is that you have to have every tid but of info from the donor rig to get it right. What engine, what transmission. In the 70's we often believed that they put different brake setups on different colors of Mustangs.

Algoma56 likes this.
  10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Explorer 8.8 has mid 80’s F150 11 x 2-1/4” drums which I requested by the shop building it. Pep Boys had all the parts.

stillrunners likes this.
  11. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Some came from Rock auto, ordered a kit that had drums, linings, wheel cylinders and hardware kit. Needed to get a couple of small pieces for the emergency brakes at the local auto parts as well as the wheel cylinder pins.

Koz likes this.
  12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ran into this issue a few years ago. Ford rear was missing the ebrake lever between the shoes. Looked and called everywhere-no luck. My 40 had the same rear-took one rear apart and took that piece to a large supply place. Found some of similar shape( some Chrysler product)then modified to same as the one off my 40. Now I look to see if that stuff is there on a used rearend.

13. nobby

nobby

groovy, so they are repopping in 10''
    [​IMG]
    Emergency / Parking Brake Link - Lever to Shoe for 1967 Mercury Cougar, 1968 Mercury Cougar, 1969 Mercury Cougar, 1970 Mercury Cougar, 1971 Mercury Cougar, 1972 Mercury Cougar, 1973 Mercury Cougar, 1967 Ford Mustang, 1968 Ford Mustang, 1969 Ford Mustang, 1970 Ford Mustang, 1971 Ford Mustang, 1972 Ford Mustang, 1973 Ford Mustang at West Coast Classic Cougar :: The Definitive 1967 - 1973 Mercury Cougar Parts Source (cougarpartscatalog.com)
    the spreaders - these are called struts then - I thought they were specific to 1 3/4 - 2'' and 2.5'' shoes....not so?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]left and right parking brake levers

[​IMG]
    this kit has the strut springs, which is groovy, BUT there is a little H plate that sits under the spring yes/no ?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  14. Cgrgrspt10

Cgrgrspt10
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dorman has loaded backing plates, complete.

15. nobby

nobby