Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical removing heads for a beginner

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Cuddles Two, Mar 18, 2021.

1. You can't shut it down now ... we (I) want to know what the machine ended up doing to your heads.
    Guides? Resurface? Springs/retainers? Replace all valves or just the one that failed? etc etc Don't leave us (me) hanging :(

Maicobreako and RodStRace like this.
  2. Just because we're in a stay-at-home order, doesn't mean you can't pick up your heads when they're done. When they call, take necessary health precautions, and go get them. Means we have a month to get cars ready, for outside activities!

RodStRace and kevinrevin like this.
  3. OK, you are both right. So I went and picked up my heads. It was a straight run there & back and like me, Dean is out in the middle of nowhere. He is in the north end of Young's Point. A big shop in farm country. Details ? I wish I could tell you but I have no bill for obvious reasons so there is no list of issues addressed. I don't know what required doing other than a burnt valve but because Dean's reputation precedes him, I am guessing he did all was necessary. It sure cost enough to suggest that he did. I got back 8 exhaust valves and 2 intake valves. He said they come 2 in a pack so he replaced an extra one. As for the springs / retainers, guides & resurfacing, I am too new at all of this to know. Again, the cost should indicate that all was made right (under $700). He couldn't get Fel Pro gaskets but gave me another brand. He said it is hard to get supplies these days.
    As for not staying home as the authorities request we do, I try to comply but I saw the logic in picking the heads up. Now when the lock down is lifted, I should be ready to cruise. I only met with one person (outside of my bubble) but I wore a face diaper as required and kept my distance. I masked & painted the heads yesterday and start putting everything back together today. Sorry I can't be more informative about what was done. I think he might have dipped the heads in a solution to clean them but I'm just guessing. Everything looked very clean.
    Perhaps I should end this thread now ?

Algoma56 likes this.
  4. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

^^^^^No, those following want to see the engine run again!;):D

5. Would it be ok if I start a new thread when my ride is up and running again - with a photo ? We (or I) will be working on it today, putting it back together. Thank you to those following.

6. Based on your previous post regarding the heads, it sounds like you dropped the heads off. Picked the heads up after the work was done. Paid the amount owing. Received no bill or list of machining operations. As a result, you apparently have no idea what was done to the heads or why (other than the replacement of some valves).

With you being an admitted "newbie", I can't help but think you just lost out on a terrific opportunity to learn.

7. I have absolutely no doubt that you are entirely correct and I did miss out on a terrific opportunity to learn. But I learned as much as I can afford to at the time. A bill would have cost me more and I was already over budget. And I couldn't stand around talking (listening actually) with the virus. It wouldn't be proper. Learning more would have been great but I believe Dean has a good reputation and I believe the motor is in much better shape than it was. I will start a new thread after I get it running. I'm headed out to the garage now to put the heads back on. You were spot on with my actions - what I did and when. I wish I could have done more and learned more. Maybe I could phone Dean but I think he is a busy guy and I don't want to bother him, especially if Sunday is a day off. On the up side, I learned a lot about rocker arms. I'll start a new thread soon. Thank you.

Algoma56 likes this.
  8. I wish you the best ... carry on :)

9. RodStRace

RodStRace

Judging by the price, hot tanked and mag'ed for cracks, may have surfaced, replaced exhaust valves (probably all thin), one intake needed, did another to use the pair, ground all seats. Doubt he replaced guides may have done a knurl. Assemble with new guide seals and include gasket set.
    You can look for each procedure in youtube, to get an idea what was done.
    EDIT, saw your other thread, and yes on surface, and probably replaced the freeze plugs too.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/on-to-the-intake-manifold.1226950/

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021