Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Looking for a Aluminum sand cast foundry for Hudson intake project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mddan, Apr 5, 2021.

1. mddan

mddan
    from Newark, DE

Some of us Hudson owners are looking to make a new version of the Hudson Twin H intake manifold for the 232, 262, 308 cu in I6 engines. I am looking for any references for small foundries that may be interested in working with us on this project. This new manifold will allow the use of 2 Weber DGV series two-barrel carbs, plus with adapter 2 1bbl or 2bbl Carter WGDs, or 2bbl Rochesters. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

2. Fordors

Fordors

The only one that comes to mind hasn’t visited here since Nov. 30, 2020 but I guess you might try sending a PM via the Conversation tab at the top of this page. He does have foundry contacts but I think his best help might come from patterns, he uses lost foam.
    PM him at- 427designer

3. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Dan, I have had manifolds, and other parts, cast before. Do you have core boxes and are ready to have someone pour them? Or, do you have a model and need someone to make core boxes? I have found that these are two different enterprises. I first made a model from parts of existing manifolds, wood and epoxy/microballoons. I did all of the figuring where to add material for later machining and they were able to directly copy my model. Somehow, through magic, they made inner and outer boxes without cutting the model apart. The boxes were some dense wood routed out super precisely and smooth as a baby's but, 4 halves for an inline 6 manifold. I took those to a foundry and had my castings done. They bitched that my boxes only made one at a time and I wanted five. I think I had $4K in the core boxes. If they can 3D print them now, if has to be cheaper. I found the core box builder through the live steam circles and the foundry was Amish run. It has been 20+ years. I've got the contacts safely stored where I will never find them.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'll make this a link. It's OT, but shows the finished product
    http://www.accuratepower.com/pics/P6150002.JPG
    In case blown, injected inline six pictures are verboten. Good luck, it is a bunch of work. Really cool, and fun, to see one through. Mike

4. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

I know someone here in Texas. Do you have your core boxes ready to go?

5. Koz

Koz

I use two sources for aluminum patterns and castings. Behler Pattern Works, 570-366-2158. Old time pattern works, small shop that has been there since right after WWII. They were doing patterns like this the first time around and some of those guys are probably still there. Great guys to work with.

I also send stuff to Temple Aluminum Foundry, 610-926-2125 for casting. Owned by an old biker,(don't tell him I said that!), and very detail oriented. Also very cost effective. They both do excellent work and are extremely helpful with guys who don't do this everyday like me. They are both within practical driving distance for you.

If you come to Behlers drop by the shop. I'm about two blocks away.

Good luck on what seems to be a neat project.

Hot Rods Ta Hell likes this.
  6. mddan

mddan
    from Newark, DE

No patterns, etc yet. We would start by using the stock Hudson cast iron Twin H manifold and make modifications from there. Would plan to make 25 to 30 copies.

Island Flats likes this.
  7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Check with Matt at lakeheaders.com

8. cfmvw

cfmvw

If you are REALLY ambitious, you could pick up some of Dave Gingery's "Shop From Scrap" books and his other excellent books on building a home made foundry and pour them yourself.

9. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

You cannot use an existing part to cast from as with aluminum casting there is shrinkage involved and the newly cast part will come out smaller. Patternmakers have special scales they use to measure with that make up for the shrinkage and have to be careful that they dont mix them up with standard scales. Casting at a foundry is the easy part, but having a pattern and core boxes made can run into 1000's of dollars,
    I used original parts on the Ivo project because they were no longer available, since they motors were empty, I had to offset all the holes to compensate for the shrinkage. You could not use these on a running engine

chessterd5 and H380 like this.
  10. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

CAD the intake first. Then find out what the foundry wants for a pattern and box size.

burl and Tim like this.
  11. scotts52

scotts52

I'd be interested in 1 if you're going to be selling them

12. There are 2 small custom forge and foundry outfits by me.
    Come highly recommended.
    No clue if they would do it start to finish for you or if you would have to have everything set up and they just pour the molds
    I cam get you names and numbers if you are interested.

13. oldolds

oldolds

14. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Years ago helped with a prototype V8 manifold $20g before the first pour

dana barlow likes this.
  15. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Most stuff I've been involved with started from laser scanning a prototype part and building a solid 3d model from it and adjust to what's needed. Pretty easy to get 3 to 4 grand tied up in this front end process. No mater who does it you will need some data to work from. Some of the old school guys still use part prints but most require electronic data.

Deuces likes this.
  16. troybert

troybert
    from muncie in.

Don't have there number handy but Phillips pattern and casting in Muncie In might be able to do it if that helps

17. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

"Years ago helped with a prototype V8 manifold $20g before the first pour
    DRERACECAR,"

He is right +! ;

Dreaming is fun,doing cost a lot,even if you do a lot your self. Patterns are a high skill,knowing all about every thing involved,is a must. To make just the patterns they need tobe 1/16in. to the foot bigger, for alum every were. Intakes outter are molds in 2 or more parts making up just the outer alone ,an often inter have to be 2 or more parts to make cores as well.
    So just for intake can be 6 to 8+ patterns @ 1K to 2K each +. Then after test,fixs for alum flow an air have to be done>then another test < as many as it takes to get a good part,that after ,then must cleaned an be machined befor it is ready to use.
    Just to brake even $ wise;Must sell over 1000+ units= not ever for a Hudson today.
    It was one of my many skill sets,I had a good time learning{ but that one ,took near two years an I was a super fast learner. All these years later,I can talk,but too old an biz to mess with any more of that. At least you get a better idea of how big a project casting one is !!
    My advise is,weld up a steel intake. For the engine your plans are for,there is not enough deman for the castings!!!!!!!!!

Make your self or have a custom steel intake made.
    Here is a custom steel{ home made by me}for my Ford Y-block V8,there are after market casting for the Ford Y,but they are mostly made with open between head intake ports< I wanted closed,an so made my self.
    This is a steel tube log type { used mostly part of a old drive shaft cut up} designed n made by me. 001 (4).JPG

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  18. All you need to do is contact someone with a 3d scanner. once you have that then you can scan the block and create your own design. once you have the model, 3d print, mock up / check, make your patterns, send out for casting.

The scanner Matt contracts out is the creaform handyscanner.
    https://www.creaform3d.com/en/portable-3d-scanner-handyscan-3d

Might be able to find a reverse engineering firm locally, start there.
    Ametek the parent company for Creaform is in your neighborhood....
    These are all locations that offer this service.
    upload_2021-4-7_15-24-56.png

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021