Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bite the bullet...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustydusty, Apr 5, 2021.

1. 20210404_181500.jpg well I finally did it... sold my '23 T roadster Saturday, bought a '63 T Bird I had been watching for awhile on Sunday. I have been wanting a "bullet bird" for some time now and it's one of the last cars on my bucket list. I loved the roadster, but it was getting harder on my back, and quite frankly, I found it was scary on the highway. Time to move on to something comfortable! The T Bird is a driver in pretty good shape. Needs a headliner, some upholstery and a small amount of rust repair... 20210224_152116.jpg 20210404_185405.jpg

2. Man, that's a good looking car, Congratulations. HRP

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  3. Thanks!

loudbang likes this.
  4. Nice! I love the bullet birds! I have looked at a couple over the years, but never ended up with one. I’m sure it will be a great driver if it is anything like my squarebird. Congrats!

41 GMC K-18, Thor1 and loudbang like this.

5. I have been watching your "square bird" thread since its inception. That car is gorgeous! Seriously considering chrome wheels and "baby moons" for mine. I am also contemplating seafoam green wheels with baby moons and chrome trim rings. I just know that I don't like the stock hubcaps...

Thor1, loudbang and guthriesmith like this.
  6. Just zoomed in on the pic of the back of your car and see where the sea foam green color idea came from. I think either would be cool. I would have to agree about the stock hubcaps. Those are probably 14’s too?

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  7. Hey congratulations, now there'll be no issues driving that hundred miles with the grandson to the cruise night.
    There was a fellow Missourian in my Army platoon that had a white bullet bird with a 390 in it, he was getting his discharge papers and the ol bird wasn't up to driving back to Missouri. He knew I was a car guy and offered his baby to me for free, I'm a Chevy guy but I liked those pointy fenders, those big jet like taillights and the interior wasn't a bad design either, so I said ok. The problem was his mom couldn't find the title, I'm not sure what ever happened to it, but every time I see a white bullet bird I think back to that car.
    Good luck with it.

41 GMC K-18, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  8. Thanks. Actually, it's my 13 year old son, not grandson. I get called his grandpa fairly often, people look so embarrassed when I correct them it's really kinda funny. My wife is 20 years younger than me...
    Anyway, he rode back with me on the 70 mile trip home from picking the car up. My 10 year old really isn't interested...

9. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

Well you wont need to have the driveshaft out of this one for a trip! Congratulations! Having cars is about driving them, and I'm sure whoever you sold your T to will have lots of enjoyment from it.

It's funny how some people/kids take to the car scene and some just dont. My daughter loves to ride "in the big green Galaxie" with me, but isnt interested in any other old cars. My son on the other hand will go to every car show we can find.

10. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations on selling the roadster and acquiring the T-Bird. I always thought these " Bullet Birds " were very classy and very futuristic. I saw this one down at the CHRR at FAMOSO a few years ago.

45550016.jpg 45550017 1.jpg 45550017.jpg

11. Nice , good driving cars. I miss my 62 I sold a couple years ago. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

ya done good - for upholstery, those seats use a special molded foam and seat covers - do an online search for best prices and availability - I found a new seat cover kit at a local wrecking yard, and foam on a MoPar site - never know

13. Nice ride, I have looked at a couple over the years, haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

love the interiors on theses cars.

does your have all the fancy goo gaws? Slide away steering , swivel buckets etc ?

these cars where wayyyyyy ahead of there times with frivolous extras just gotta love ‘em!!!!

14. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

That's a slick T bird!

loudbang likes this.
  15. dwollam

dwollam

Very nice! I had a '62 many years ago and really liked it. Very balanced car. High speed, lock up the brakes, it would stay in a perfectly straight line. Loved the slide away steering column too.

Dave

VANDENPLAS, 41 GMC K-18 and loudbang like this.
  16. Thanks guys! That really takes the "sting" out of selling the roadster.
    This has the slide away steering wheel, but not swivel seats. (Isn't that a Monte Carlo thing?) It also doesn't have electric windows, which I was really glad to see as they can be troublesome and expensive to fix.

17. Great score, and a big improvement!
    I never paid much attention to these, but I will now.
    Great styling!
    Glad you got it so you and your son can enjoy.
    Memories waiting to be made!

VANDENPLAS, 41 GMC K-18 and loudbang like this.
  18. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Good for you. They look aggressive without the skirts, and as long as you
    don't go with PINK...

VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  19. Wow! Yea, I can attest to the “would rather had manual windows”...

41 GMC K-18 and loudbang like this.
  20. Roguss

Roguss

Congrats on the tbird. Thats a gooood looking example

loudbang and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats on BOTH acquisitions.;)

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  22. I didn't know manual windows were available on a T Bird, I assumed that they were all electric. One of my first questions was going to be "do the windows go up and down"?
    The car came with the "skirts" but I'm not putting them on.
    Gotta do something about those wheel covers though...
    Also going to have the white walls turned in.

23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good move..

loudbang and guthriesmith like this.
  24. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I dated a girl in HS (50 some years ago) that drove her Dad's T-Bird that was a twin to yours. She wanted me to teach her how to do burn outs with it. She had a bunch of bald right rear tires after that:p

loudbang likes this.
  25. Just incase you're bored already

Screenshot_20210406-192459_Chrome.jpg

winduptoy and loudbang like this.
  26. I've got enough to do to this car that will keep me from getting bored! One challenge is learning about an FE big block. I have basically been sliding by with small block Chevys and Mopars. No plans to hop it up, this car is a cruiser. Just gotta have this thing running perfectly. I will rebuild the Holley, then tackle the ignition system. Drove it 70 miles home yesterday, it's running good, but has a kinda rough idle. This engine should be so smooth, you can't hear or feel it idle...