Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Duplicolor Metalspecks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63401nailhead, Mar 31, 2021.

1. 63401nailhead

63401nailhead
    from DE

6A59ACD6-D893-4AA7-939C-8FABC189889D.jpeg I painted my entire dash with Duplicolor Metalspecks, Ocean Blue. Took the dash down to bare metal, primed/sanded, and it came out nice, but looks a little flat so I wanted to spray on some clear coat. Is there a brand of rattle can clear that I should use with this? I’ve been searching online and I’m seeing mixed opinions. Some people say the clear coat ruined the finish, so now I’m hesitant. I just want it to have a more glossy appearance than it does. The can doesn’t tell you much, it doesn’t even say what kind of paint this stuff is- acrylic or enamel.

If anyone has any experience with Metalspecks or has any suggestions on a decent rattle can clear coat, or tips on how to apply clear coat (I’ve never actually used clear before) I’d appreciate it. Thanks!

2. oldolds

oldolds

Dupli color has their own clear. Buy a can and do a test panel on something to see what it looks like.

Deuces and jnaki like this.
  3. Stooge

Stooge

I've sprayed metal flake before, but i have not used the metal specks paint, judging from the can lid, it does look like its supposed to be a matte/ satin finish rather than a glossy one. If you have any paint left from that metal speck stuff, grab a can of duplicolor clear from one of the parts stores , (i think duplicolor is carried at advance, auto zone, etc. and i have definitely bought rattle cans of clear there before) and spray a test piece with the blue paint then the clear a few hrs later and see how it sets up. worst case if it doesnt work, your out a few dollars for the clear coat, but didnt mess up the newly painted dash.

4. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

It could be that those who are complaining didn't pay any attention to the recoat time. Read the label and make sure you don't try to top coat it during the critical period.
    I would agree with the other posts and do a test panel just to be sure.

Deuces, Blues4U and Just Gary like this.

5. 63401nailhead

63401nailhead
    from DE

yeah, I did about 4 or 5 coats of the blue around 10 minutes or so apart on Sunday, and I plan to do the clear this Friday or Saturday, so that should be enough cure time, I would think.

Deuces and onetrickpony like this.
  6. 5window

5window

Deuces, Tman, oldiron 440 and 2 others like this.
  7. Pinball Wizard

Pinball Wizard

Metalspecks is lacquer. Use Duplicolor's lacquer clearcoat, I've done it several times. There is no recoat window on lacquer.

Chris

Blues4U and loudbang like this.
  8. 63401nailhead

63401nailhead
    from DE

I planned to call them today, but honestly I trust the actual experiences of other Hambers more than I trust some Sherwin Williams rep.

9. I don't know what kind of vehicle you're working on or the layout of the dash. But under certain driving conditions you may wish you didn't have a glossy, highly polished finish on your dash panel. On some cars reflection from the sun or the headlights of the vehicle behind you at night can be quite a distraction.

There's a reason why most all later model vehicles leave the factory with an upholstered or matte finished dash panel.
    :cool:

Deuces, tb33anda3rd and AHotRod like this.
  10. 63401nailhead

63401nailhead
    from DE

I just called the duplicolor 1-800 number, and the rep said they don’t recommend a clear coat, so I guess that answers that question. Although she didn’t even know that they had a Metalspecks in blue, so who knows.

still interested in anyone else’s previous experiences with this...

Deuces and 5window like this.
  11. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Got a pic so we can see what it looks like? never heard of this stuff myself.

Deuces and seb fontana like this.
  12. I painted my new computer case with that blue and the clear, it came out alright, my issue was it was cold and I could not maintain proper temp for drying. It works for my computer case

13. No picture? I wanna see it!

14. I don’t know if I would take that reps response as gospel. I’ve always had better luck with an email. That way the question can be routed to someone better suited to give an answer. Just my experience when dealing with large companies.
    Post a pic if you can, interested in how it turned out.

5window likes this.
  15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

2D9252FA-FCBE-4644-B7B6-9E21F6005409.jpeg
    I painted this years ago with generic spray craft glitter. The first coat of clear was ‘fogged’ on from a distance, let set up and buried in multiple coats of Krylon clear. As you can see, it polished out fine. Just gotta go for it....if ya wreck it, start over.

Deuces, Blues4U, kfien5354 and 2 others like this.
  16. 63401nailhead

63401nailhead
    from DE

Here’s the dash with just the Metalspecks paint, no clear coat. It’s not a great picture, the garage is pretty dim with the door closed. That’s probably about 4 or 5 coats, 10 to 20 minutes apart. I think it came out pretty decent, but definitely a dull finish. So that’s been sitting about a week.

Today I’m planning to do Rustoleum crystal clear enamel over it. Was thinking of doing a very light tack coat and then two heavier coats 10 minutes apart. Any warnings, advice, tips, etc? I’ve never used clear coats before. The reason for the clear coat is to hopefully give it a bit more shine and glossier finish, and also more durability

6DA4B4E5-8913-4759-99EC-F61F0C1A2D8B.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    Deuces, 61SuperMonza and wraymen like this.
  17. mkubacak

mkubacak

Do a test panel first to get an idea of what works and what does not. It will lessen the chance of messing up what you have already done.

Deuces, Blues4U and flatheadpete like this.
  18. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

^^^Exactly. Maybe an shtray door...Something made of the same material. And don't rush it. Take your time.

19. If Earl Scheib tells you what to use, do a test panel.
    If Von Dutch tells you what to use, do a test panel.
    If your brother-in-law tells you what to use, do a test panel.
    If the spray can tells you what to use, do a test panel.
    If the paint factory tells you what to use, do a test panel.
    You're foolish if you don't do a test panel.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  20. 5window

5window

I never had much luck mixing Rustoleum with anything else, though i haven't tried everything yet. I prefer Krylon to Rustoleum if I can get it.

21. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I think the matte finish turned out great. Looks very nice. I would consider leaving it in that finish. As was mentioned the gloss finish could create some serious glare from the sun, especially with metal flake.
    I you want gloss I would consider doing this-
    Leave the top of the dash(horizontal face) matte. Mask it off and paint the vertical face with the gloss clear.
    I do suggest a test panel as well. Get the temp up before spraying. Another trick I use with rattle cans is filling a sink with HOT water and letting it sit for a few minutes. The paint will flow very nice by warming the can first.

Guy Patterson likes this.
  22. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I'd like to see some clear on top of it, I bet it really pops.

Also I agree with above, tape off the top and paint the rest gloss BUT I would reverse and paint a satin clear on top. I would bet that the clear even though satin would add some depth to it....

61SuperMonza likes this.
  23. yep ,cars with shiny dash panels with a horizontal surface are horrible to drive. the glare will drive you nuts

Guy Patterson likes this.