Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How do I get Wide 5s on an F1 Rear on a 28 A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr.chevrolet, Mar 31, 2021.

1. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I've been thru most of the threads on adapting wide 5s to the front. i have a choice of dropped Mod A, Dropped 32 or stock 40 front axle. I have all the brakes/BkgPlates for the 40, also have complete 52 F1 frt axle with new brakes. i think i can figure out how to get wide 5s on the front, but how to get them on an 52 F1 rear? any help? thanks, mike

2. alchemy

alchemy

Big adapter plates.

3. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I was hoping to avoid them

4. alchemy

alchemy

The end of the F-1 axle is too small to drill for the big pattern. No other way except for a large adapter.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

@alchemy... Didn't the roundy-round guys used to do a Ford truck 'trick' prior to running the Winters and other quick change rears that fitted wide 5's with 3/4 or 1 ton axles?
    I had seen some parts (apart) that mated up with what appeared to be a small Dana rear.

6. brading

brading

This is for a front hub but think the same could be used on a half shaft. It would go on the back of the shaft flange. A & B could be made of one piece rather than two pieces. For extra security you could drill through the old stud holes into the new flange then put pins in them and weld them in.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    kadillackid likes this.
  7. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

thats a solution, I'm gonna talk to my machinist friend about his thoughts. thanks for the replies

kadillackid likes this.
  8. Will someone please explain what's going on with this? What's "PCD"? Are wide five hubs modified and used?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  9. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Pitch circle diameter

sgtlethargic likes this.
  10. I think I have it figured out. The hub looks to be one that doesn't have a brake drum. Hub support B is welded to the hub to increase the diameter so the adapter A is supported. No wide five hub/drum is used. This is a hub and an adapter. A wide five wheel mounts to the adapter. What's done for brakes?

11. alchemy

alchemy

You put the special adapter on the axle flange, and what kind of drum is going to fit over all that?

Mike, the wide fives used on the big truck rearends, and then later on the Champ quickchanges, used the stock floating hubs from the truck. Then they also later made lighter aluminum hubs in the same configuration. But none of those would work with any regular flanged axle from a passenger or small truck rearend.

55willys and KiWinUS like this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Have them on mine, but the stock hubcaps won't fit over the floater hubs. IMG_4858.JPG

Hollywood-East likes this.
  13. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

thanks guys, seems like the orig answer of adapters is the easiest way to go. thanks for all the responses.

14. brading

brading

Ya you are quite right on how you figured it out. I came up with this support idea where a guy wanted an larger PCD studding that took the holes right close to the outside of the hub. It was a front disc brake hub. Thought it would help "mr.chevrolet " as to put adapters on the outside would mean trying to find some wider drums. As for the brake the OP says he has 40's brakes.

sgtlethargic likes this.
  15. 20181215_130410-003.jpg I did mine with adapters

16. brading

brading

Did you get them from " 55willys " member on here.

17. brading

brading

Did you get them from " 55willys " member on here.

18. No, I got them from a gentleman who's name I can't recall. He passed away shortly after I got them from him. They are an aluminum disc with 4.5'' pcd to wide five pattern. I had some '36 drums parted off so that only the outer face remained and sandwiched them between the adapter and the rim, so it looks like real '36-39 hubs.

19. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

I did the same as aussie oldie had done as my 2 pc drums were bad anyway, if you happen to have the 2pc. 36 (long snout) drums with good specs & happen to find 37-39 2pc. short snout drums beyond usable turning specs you might consider swapping the desired snout & avoid the adapters . I'm talking adapting to the early year Ford up to 48 not certain with the years beyond.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  20. brading

brading

Thanks for the reply.

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I did the same thing, with Dick Spadero adapter plates. IMG_5677.JPG

22. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did it using a '36 two piece ResizedImage 3.jpg ResizedImage 10.jpg Charlie's Photo's 24-01-10 014.jpg ResizedImage 15.jpg ResizedImage 16.jpg drum by removing the center, the inside bolt pattern is 5 on 51/2, & the drum is simply bolted over the F100 drum. it ads 7/16 th to the width. You also need to machine about 1/2" off the inside of the drum. The hardest part for me was finding 2 of this type of drum in Ozz, may be more common in the US. Good luck' :)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    sgtlethargic likes this.
  23. Dick Spadero is the guy I got mine from too. I couldn't remember his name. Thanks Marty.