Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Thickstun "Dog-bone" intake with dual Carter W1's on a 60' Chevy wagon. Any clearance issues?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by intuitive iron, Mar 27, 2021.

1. intuitive iron

intuitive iron

Hello, did a search and couldn't find my answer.. Screenshot_20210204-204509_Photos.jpg I have a 1960 Chevy Brookwood station wagon with a relatively stock 235 still 3 on the tree. I picked up a Thickstun dual carb intake and I'm gathering parts for the installation. I like the one pictured and plan to basically copy it. I will also be installing headers. Questions: Has anyone ran this setup on a similar year Chevy? Will I be able to close my hood ? Are Rochesters shorter than Carters? Thanks!

2. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

I've had a number of 216/235 intakes, but never been around that '1960 application. A suggestion would be to measure your overall height of the Thickstun with the air cleaners and compare that number to your stock manifold and air cleaner overall height, making an adjustment for the difference between the manifolds riser heights...
    Maybe a stiff cardboard cutout, place it in there and close the hood, hope this helps, dyno dave

3. intuitive iron

intuitive iron

Thanks Dave, I was thinking of using Carter's instead Of Rochester's but I couldn't find a height measurement for the Carter's. If I had that number I could mock it up. I guess that's my only unknown variable. I have a Rochester I can measure so I'm good there... Thanks for the reply.

4. The intake and carbs should fit fine.

you may need to get creative with your air cleaners as the 60’s chevys had the low profile style cleaners 04739654-6BE3-4B15-83D5-09323C4F745A.jpeg

5. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

One of the number of "stovebolt" intakes that I've had one was a Thickstun' I liked it seems the design would give a bunch of low end torque and that's a Chevy Six. My '54 Corvette intake and sidedraft Carters have been on the '54 Bel Air for most of twenty years, so it is staying there... Through the years buying & selling intake setups, have heard good comments about W-1s, just read where they have 3 metering rods, idle, med-range and wide open, that sounds good !!! dyno dave

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  6. intuitive iron

intuitive iron

Thank you...Plan "B" is the low profile Thickstun scoops.

Attached Files:

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. lowrd

lowrd

I just measured up my carter, theoverall height is 6.75” including the spacer which is 5/8” . Just an FYI.

8. intuitive iron

intuitive iron

Man, I really appreciate it....Thanks so much. Now I can do a mock-up. Cheers