Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Back window 3rd Brake light Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Mar 27, 2021.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

Now that most drivers all around us are driving inattentive I,m sure by now a lot of us have a 3rd brake light. My question, I,ve noticed a lot of the cars have a ( pulsating) 3rd brake lite. How is this done, what product is added to achieve this function on our old cars Gene in Mn

2. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Good question!!

3. blazedogs

blazedogs

The fact that it pulsates really draws your attention to it

4. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Now some on here aint gonna like it, i can tell you that. But with most everyone driving with the required cell phone in hand, Make since to me.

5. 34Phil

34Phil

6. Budget36

Budget36

Issue is finding one that’s not in a plastic housing, but I have seen some slim ones (I think on Summit?) that were pulsating then solid as I recall. They were thin enough to not stand out when not in use, most likely LEDs.

Edit: Since they were a contained item, the circuitry to do it would be in the unit itself.

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Since my Austin gasser has a European high mount plate holder on the trunk lid, I just ordered a chrome bar light that attaches to the license plate holes. Wouldn't be an option for some cars with plates down under the bumper, but it's a great way to go on those with higher mounted plates.
    I don't have a brake light flasher, but think they're a good idea to keep from getting rear ended.
    If you're going to only put it on a 3rd eye brake light, then a much cheaper option is available. The Amazon unit is to do both taillights, and the 3rd eye. Here's a $8 unit that does just the 3rd eye.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/GS-100A-Fl...495082f17a964da7b551|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524

9. japchris

japchris
    from England

I've wired my ray-gun third brake light on a three way switch, so I can have it either pulsate or on permanent when the brakes applied, or off altogether as I may want to avoid the the rear window being redded out in some circumstances, such as when I'm steamed up and reversing. The normal brake lights on the body are unaffected and come on and off as usual. Just means a bit of wire back and forth to the dash.
    z2.jpg z1.jpg

10. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Flash Gordon is alive and well!

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a rather discrete put it in the back window third brake light in a box in my "stuff for the 48" cabinet that I figure to hook up the same way that Japchris did his ray gun. The plan is to use it as needed by traffic conditions and locations call for. Hopefully it rather disappears when it isn't lit up.

12. Crayons

Crayons

Saw this one...it says "SLOW".

Attached Files: