Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Barrett jackson

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dasnake, Mar 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dasnake

Dasnake

I looked through some old threads about BJ, if there is something else please erase this, the prices, oh the prices, do any of the forum members feel these prices affect the prices we see in the real world.
    The last posts I saw was back at 01/20 and that thread was closed, high 5 figures for a restored 50s gas pump, low 5 figures for a cooper tire sign, yes it was nice but wow.
    To me Tuesday and Wednesday are kind of realistic, but Thursday and Friday were over the top, I know a lot of peeps have lost interest in watching these for which I concur, but having grown up with, owning, and driving these I love watching the beauty of these cars, no rant, no bitch, just a wonderment of the pricing.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. wvenfield

wvenfield

It helps when you ply the bidders with booze.

Mr48chev, Lepus, uncle buck and 5 others like this.
  3. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

It's pretty much the same story when any of the big auctions come up...some people complain because the prices are too low, but most complain they're too high. Rinse and repeat, it's been going on for years.

4. Discussing BJ etc. auctions isn't really a HAMB thing.

5. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

6. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

7. Dasnake

Dasnake

Huh? I read the rules, didn't say anything about auction discussion, I'll check again.

woodyTom likes this.
  8. I like Bj’s :D

and BJ !
    633CBD30-FCCA-4FF7-80D2-806FD16B6A56.jpeg

The Barrett Jackson auction is a mixed. Bag of crap.
    I’ve seen silly prices in the last few months on my local classified as well.
    I think it’s folks who are trying to get out of being ass over teakettle with this whole COVID crap, and folks thinking they are sitting on gold cause grandpa told em his 1953 hunk of crap with an inline 6 is worth 2567789997655443 dollars!

anyways,I stopped paying attention to the high end auctions years ago as it just caused me grief at some of the prices these cars where bringing.

9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

This ↑
    Not to mention the fact that people get caught up in the excitement of the auction, with or without booze.
    And then you have all the clowns at home who think, "I got me one o' those! Must be worth at least that much!"

People can ask whatever price they want. Doesn't mean it's gonna sell for that.

A good friend of mine, and fellow HAMBer, went to an auction a number of years ago with cash to buy a car (several in the auction interested him). He came home with his cash and no car. He told me the prices were ridiculously high, much higher than he anticipated. Auction fever.

10. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Hey, I HOPE the market has jumped that much! Not that I'm selling my car, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if it were all the sudden worth a hundred grand.... Lol

partssaloon and Dasnake like this.
  11. I preferred Trapper John.

12. I wish Sargent Bilko had made a cameo on MASH

doug3968, seadog, vtx1800 and 2 others like this.
  13. It is, going on 20 years!

spudshaft, Dasnake and VANDENPLAS like this.
  14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to ply MYSELF with booze just to watch it.:mad:

15. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

BJ's , I'd prefer " Monica " style BJ's , thank you ... They're always in style!

16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

When my nephew was working on building cars out of his home a customer came to him with a problem... The fellow had just bought a white on white '58 or '59 Olds, IIRC, at Barrett Jackson for around $90,000. Anyway there was a squeak of some sort. My nephew found the problem and explained to the guy that there were supposed to be 16(?) body mounts on the car but there were only three. The guy contracted for the work and the problem was resolved.

A week later the customer came back all pissed off that the doors weren't closing correctly. My nephew explained that when the doors were fitted the body mounts were missing and now that they were there the doors had to be refitted. Customer agreed for the work to be done.

When the fellow came back my nephew informed him that the car had no emergency/parking brake and the intake manifold was actually for marine use.

All the work was about twenty grand and the car still wasn't correct. So much for buying at a glorified pissing contest!

Dasnake, alanp561, seadog and 2 others like this.
  17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

You have to understand people who run business`s or own their own business make a bit of money. The sucessful ones. Time is limited, very limited. Often working 50 plus hours a week. Every week. All year long. When they do have time off, spent with wife and family and going on a cruise. No time to go 2 states away to look at a car that`s misrepresented. So they spend a few days at an auction where they can see over 1000 cars that will sell. They see a few and bid on a couple. Then the one they really want comes along and they buy it. Sure it`s 200 grand. But the guy is worth 10 million. So he can afford it. Maybe he over paid, but time is limited and what is the cost of time ?

Dasnake, AldeanFan, Tman and 4 others like this.
  18. When you go to an auction, regardless of how much money you have, why not take someone with you that has a good working knowledge of the car / cars that you may bid on. It may cost you a few bucks to do this, but it could save you many dollars later on.

19. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I find the cars for sale on the HAMB site are also very high in many cases.
    I know they can ask whatever you want but what you are going to get is two very different things!
    It seems many guys who advertise their car for sale have been watching the prices on BJ

There are a few cars on the HAMB for sale site that have been for sale for years and I really do not understand what sense it makes to keep a car for sale that long because people start to wonder other than the high price what's wrong with it.
    Just my opinion. Jimbo

20. Yep ya think after a year 4 sale here or anywhere for that matter that the seller would get a clue he's overpriced

Dasnake, Guy Patterson, Tman and 4 others like this.
  21. .....Excellent observation......Don.

22. I've been on both sides of the fence @ B J Both selling and buying. As said Wednesday Thursday good days 2 buy Friday and Saturday good days to sell. Have done good buyin and sellin. Just my 2 cents.
    It does take a BIG Set to sell, Ya can't piss like a puppy if ya want to play the game. Ya gotta lift yer leg. LOL

Dasnake, 2deuces64, Tman and 3 others like this.
  23. Another sad part of the entire high end auction thing is that these cars will go into some private collection and will not be seen or heard from until they go back to auction. I’m of the opinion that these cars were built to be driven. I understand that only so many Shelby Mustangs, 427 Corvettes, Hemi Chrysler products were built, but they should be driven for crying out loud. It also sucks that these cars are being used as “investments”, man how I hate that word.

24. Still traditional to concern ourselves with how other people spend their money, apparently.
    Choices..life is about choices.
    People choose to spend big money at BJ..good for them, more power to them.
    I record the auctions, fast forward through the BS, and commercials, and the countless cars that have no special interest to me..only stopping at cars that are traditional..turns that 6hrs of BJ to a mere 45 minutes typically.

25. modagger

modagger

X2!

Dasnake likes this.
  26. I don't think auctions are should be used as a guide for prices period.
    For the fact that that a couple people with more money the brains can upset the market, anybody remember million dollar plus hemi cars?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    Dasnake, Guy Patterson and VANDENPLAS like this.
  27. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I don't and never will begrudge anybody on how they spend their money.
    After all it's their money.

The value of anything is what one values at the time of purchase and what one values at the time of selling.
    That is what is worth at that moment between a buyer and seller and that's it.
    Whether it's a dollar or a million.

Dasnake, Stogy, 41 GMC K-18 and 12 others like this.
  28. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I see BJ as more of a “event” where acar auction is taking place. People with tons of expendable cash go there to be seen and hob nob with others who are well off. There are also others who go to BJ because they want to be seen and try and make a statement rather they have money or not. There are a lot of egos there just watch some of the coverage in the sky boxes. Or look at how well dressed some of the women are for going to a car auction. People with that kind of money don’t really care if they got a deal or not. BJ does do a lot for charity and the high rollers who drop tons of money should be commended even if they do it to stroke their own egos.

I think the quality of cars sold at BJ is probably very good. They attract some of the best builders. With that said if I were in the market to buy it probably wouldn’t be at BJ other then early in the week before the circus starts. Overall I think BJ is overpriced for the reasons stated above. With that said I would still like to attend the Scottsdale event one time to take it all in. My opinion your mileage may vary.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    Dasnake, golferforpar and VANDENPLAS like this.
  29. jazz1

jazz1

Always some interesting cars but beyond my means.
    I would not want to be the guy who spent $1million on a 2021 Bronco....

Dasnake likes this.
  30. 4ty

4ty

250K for a 70 Chevelle ! ! !.
    Too rich for my blood.
    Paul in CT

Dasnake likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.