Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '33 5w Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTaulbert, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Chief 64

Chief 64

Great build and great creative ideas, thanks for posting!

loudbang and CTaulbert like this.
  2. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing work, as always. Some great build ideas for my next one.

rod1, loudbang and CTaulbert like this.
  3. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great job dude!

loudbang likes this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20210325_233240.jpg

:rolleyes:...Being a Hamber and a Visual Artist, I, like so many others enjoy the journey you are taking us on Cory...really so many 'Wow' moments to wrap the Hotrod Mind around...

This Pic you took captures the Roof and Ribbing reflected on the sheen of the Steering Wheel...it's just a great chance meeting of mechanical art and there certainly is a lot to reflect on...

It probably wasn't in the plan at the moment but rather a Coincidental Happening...just awesome...

Thanks Cory...;)

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  5. Cory, how specifically is the panel attached to the firewall? It looks like you used acorn nuts. Did you weld 1/4-28 studs to the firewall? Or??:confused:
    Will those fasteners provide sufficient ground, or will you add a ground cable?

I'm plagiarizing your panel idea in my '28 Tudor project, but maybe make it hinged, so it would swing down for easy access.

Thanks for sharing all the details of an *awesome* build.:cool:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  6. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I welded threaded bungs to the back of the firewall, which the studs thread into. They should provide sufficient paths for the grounds, but there’s very little on this panel that requires a ground actually. It’s mostly just positive distribution.

7. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Guess it's time for a monthly update on the car!

I wrapped up some of the last fabrication details, including reclocking the headlights capsules and brass tags at 12 o'clock since the buckets lean inward a bit.

166990362_10100339652431139_4111670924932457774_n.jpg

Woogeroo, Tim, Tim_with_a_T and 13 others like this.
  8. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I delivered the car over to the painter, Matt Snopek, on the frame, so that he could tighten up some panel fitments. Once he was through that, I went back over to help disassemble the car and bring the chassis back home for a bit.

171605439_10100342049003389_4949167021168002430_n.jpg

Woogeroo, Tim, Tim_with_a_T and 15 others like this.
  9. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

With the chassis back home, I pulled the rear end out to send to @HotRodWorks for the remainder of the axle build. They had previously narrowed by '40 axle tubes to arrive at the stock '32-34 width, as well as machined the ends for their slide in axle setup.

I also started working on the 331 Cadillac, getting it ready to fire. This was a rebuilt engine I had bought, knowing the history of who had built it. I made a few changes, with a couple tweaks to the oil pump to boost pressure. I also swapped in a new Schneider cam, along with a set of GM sbc/bbc lifters and custom pushrods from Smith Brothers. I also machined up a simple PCV adapter to take place of the road draft tube.

172041331_10100342189591649_6642052463296759752_n.jpg 172542226_10100342189526779_5109246102753609967_n.jpg

Woogeroo, 51box, Tim and 15 others like this.
  10. Clocking the headlight bits because of a slight shift............pure artistry and commitment to craftsmanship.

Tim, RodStRace, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  11. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

With the engine back in the frame, I used it as my test stand since everything it needed to run could be bolted on. I preoiled the engine on Saturday to make sure everything was a go. I borrowed a friends intake/carb and distributor off of his running engine, making the fire up simple.

Today, I rolled it outside and broke the cam in. My only issue was a brass plug seeping a bit of water, so I'd say it was a success!

Now, I'll pull everything back apart, and get the chassis blasted.

Jet96, oldiron 440, Woogeroo and 17 others like this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

GOOD sounding Caddy !

HEMI32, Stogy, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  13. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Thanks Marty! I was trying to idle it by hand since my borrowed carb was from a running car, but it told me enough to know it sounds good!

Tim, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  14. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Time seems to be flying by! I guess it's about time for another monthly update....

After getting the engine broke in, I disassembled the rest of the chassis and dropped off the frame to get blasted. I just got it back the other day, and got it in epoxy primer tonight.

Matt Snopek is working away on the sheet metal, getting it closer to color. I stopped by last weekend to see the progress, and go over some fitments. Matt definitely works deep into the fine details, and appreciates the importance of leaving some details/features to not make anyone second guess if the car is original Ford steel or not!

IMG_3431.JPG IMG_3459.JPG

15. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I had a specific color in mind, and Matt did a color spray out for me. I hadn't seen the specific color in person, so I was anxious to actually see it up close - I can say that I'm very pleased with the choice.

I think it's going to complement the magnesium wheels, and minimal plating well.

IMG_3461.JPG

16. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice color choice.

-Abone.

Stogy, CTaulbert and loudbang like this.
  17. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like the rest of the car, the color is going to be outstanding. For me, one of the toughest challengers for me is choosing a color. Looking forward to seeing the body in paint.

18. loudbang

loudbang

Going to look great in that color. :)

oldiron 440, Stogy, CTaulbert and 2 others like this.
  19. woodyTom

woodyTom
    from canton MI

Great color choice.........................

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I like that color a lot, reminds me of the British Racing Green on the Sunbean Tiger my friend had in the 60's.

Stogy and CTaulbert like this.
  21. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

This looks phenomenal Cory. I can't wait to see the completed project somewhere down the road. Great work and ideas so far.

Stogy, CTaulbert and winduptoy like this.
  22. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Great color choice. Doing a spray out is invaluable. I was wanting a similar green and shot some "Forest Green" on a door panel. Looked good until it got out in the sunlight. I hated it, looked like a Christmas tree, and not in a good way.

23. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Hopefully sooner than later!

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  24. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

While Matt’s been working on the body, I got the frame blasted at SS. I got it mounted to a couple engine stands to help get it ready for paint.
    IMG_3500.JPG

In the background, I had the bar arms machined out of chromoly, then sent them down to Chalk Stix to have the splines broached.
    IMG_3494.JPG

I also sent the manifolds out to get porcelain coated, which just came back as well.
    IMG_3495.JPG

Stogy, HEMI32, Woogeroo and 10 others like this.
  25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Cory, what is the diameter and spline count on the short arms ? The reason I ask is, some friends of mine are in need of having some straight splines broached in mild steel, for pitman arms. Those are some great looking parts to complete the package !

CTaulbert likes this.
  26. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Marty - the arms were broached 1" x 48 spline for the standard midget bars. If that works, I can get you the contact I used for the broaching - it was very fair and a fast turn around.

loudbang likes this.
  27. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

That color is very similar to the color for my 32 tub.
    Good choice

28. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

That thing sounds sweet!

CTaulbert and loudbang like this.
  29. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Matt's got the body final blocked, ready to shoot color. His attention to detail really shows - how many times do you see painters today wash out the definition of body lines?

IMG_3611.JPG

He sprayed some solvent on it the other day to check his work - I'm ready to see color!

IMG_3612.JPG

30. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I've been chipping away at chassis parts. I got the frame painted last week, followed by the engine and trans this week. Today, I tackled the clutch, starting with machining an adapter bushing to use a modern roller bearing. After sitting in the freezer for a bit, it pushed in gently with a couple taps. I then hung the trans on the engine to verify proper engagement.

IMG_3596.jpg

HEMI32, Tim_with_a_T, Stogy and 4 others like this.