Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Was there a Hamb era car on a TV series that made a lasting impression on you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

In '61 there was a TV series "Straightaway", featured some nice sports cars.

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  2. Grease348

Grease348

There was an episode of an old show called The Millionaire with Vic Morrow from Combat and The Blackboard Jungle. In that episode he owed a garage. He was drag racing “Billy Jack”. Vic was driving a model T tub. Maybe some one can look it up an get some pictures. I would if I knew how.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Not a TV car, but project X was the coolest thing I'd ever seen when i was a kid. They've destroyed that image over the years, but i guess it's evolving. Also the 33 Ford that was in hot rod i believe, sitting sideways in the roadway, big & littles, blower, etc, that was a killer car, I've seen it posted here before, and a 64 impala called Tonawanda terror that was in the magazines.

saltracer219 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

The “ one” car for me was Kookie’s T- bucket on 77 Sunset Strip. But, I also was influenced by all the “ hot rods” on the family shows, like Father Knows best, the Ozzie and Harriet show, Leave it to Beaver, etc. It seems quite often a “ kids”car would be shown. But by the time I started driving the fifties car had won me over.

Bones

5. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-3-17_4-31-30.png upload_2021-3-17_4-31-43.png

Hello,

Our early days just happened to be one of watching several family TV series on our new TV. The Adventures of Ozzie And Harriet, being the most popular, even for our parents. For any reason, our mom thought that by watching the life and times of that fun family, our family could have the same results. The older brother becoming a doctor or lawyer. While the younger brother was involved in a lot of different things and could end up being a sponge, absorbing all that was going on around his brain.

It helped that that cute little kid, Ricky, was one of my mom’s favorite characters. She looked at those two brothers and could see her two similar age kids being that same lovable family. So, in essence, she wanted me to become a rock star, singing on national TV. Wow, that would have been totally fun!
    upload_2021-3-17_4-33-0.png
    "During 1956, the engine was changed twice, the second time to a Corvette V-8, and the color was changed to the green color it still wears. It was in this form that the car appeared in the popular television series."

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/ozzie-harriet-the-road-race-1958.1196533/#post-13624800

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...oadster-for-auction.1721/page-2#post-12955020

upload_2021-3-17_4-34-22.png
    “The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet,” with their two hot-rod enthusiast sons Dave and Rick Nelson seen in the car in various episodes.

Jnaki

As much as our mom wanted us to be the teens on TV, we just did what we wanted to do and got influenced by the access to a cool hot rod we saw on TV. Our lifestyle was way ahead in the future and growing up as the Nelson’s had good intentions, but it was not reality. Sure, it would have been nice to sing and make money, but it was not real life for us. Plus, my brother had his own ideas of doing something mechanical, not be a dentist peering down someone’s mouth or a lawyer defending guilty people.

The little green roadster was nice looking. But, for us, it was impractical as a daily driver.
    upload_2021-3-17_4-35-42.png
    But, for all of those people who like 32 style bodies, there is only one Ricky Nelson Roadster.

6. saltracer219

saltracer219

Not a TV Show but project X was in the movie Hollywood Knights.

7. These two shots that my dad took of the Kookie T in 1964 are in our photo album. I grew up looking at them. Rikster used them in his Jack Stewart book. Made a huge impression on me looking at these never seen shots for 40+ years

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    dana barlow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. 3e7f93caddd7f217ce1bce55ab6289b4.jpg ca0a7cdf12737767152c17921dba6f95.jpg ca0a7cdf12737767152c17921dba6f95.jpg
    That's true, and it was looking good back then ;)

9. cs39ford

cs39ford

Leave it to Beavers. Lumpy s 40 and Walley s 36 ford coupe he parted out. And I had both later on 8E6F2AAA-A7FC-4AFE-AE5B-3051896B8B18.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

On Lumpy's old '40, were there any indicators of damage from when that ol' Eddie Haskell jerked the rear end out with Ward Cleaver's chain??? Serious minds want to know!

11. cs39ford

cs39ford

Not sure will have to see if that episode is in my DVD set

12. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad I’m not the only one the Waltons turned on. Thought I was weird.
    Wanted a flatbed-stake bodied A ever since, so I built one.
    But I’m still weird!

13. Shutter Speed and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. Latigo

Latigo

17. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-7-17_4-10-14.png
    Mosquito Coast 2021
    FACTS:

1. The Mosquito Coast is a novel by author Paul Theroux. Published in 1981.
    2. There was a movie made in 1986: The Mosquito Coast (film)
    The novel was first adapted into a 1986 film starring Harrison Ford, Helen

Mirren and River Phoenix.
    3. The current series is on Apple TV
    The TV series has Justin Theroux (grandson of real main character) and Melissa
    George.

Follow this:

The original book was written about the author’s father (main character portrayed in the movie and series.)

The leading character (actor) in the Apple TV series is the grandson of the real author’s father.

Hello,

My wife and I just finished a 2 hour movie per night for the last 4 days. It was a series called the Mosquito Coast on a streaming channel. We had read the book back in 1981 and thought it was a great place to live during those times. (But, the name gave us shivers back then as we hate mosquitoes) We even saw the movie in 1986 and that made the area real as life on a beach facing the Caribbean Ocean.

So, we did go to a Caribbean island with the same blue waters and white sand beaches and wouldn’t you know it, tons of mosquitoes. It was fun while our money lasted. Saved for a month vacation and in one week later, we were back home when it ran out. Ahh, 20 somethings… what me worry? Ha!

The classic use of a Faraday Cage is enhanced with the use of an old 50s sedan. The characters were hoping the activities inside were protected from any radio waves or other electronic waves bouncing around the area.
    upload_2021-7-17_4-12-46.png

Jnaki

Even under a layer of aluminum foil, it reminded me of a familiar face from back in our 1956-58 era. The mystery of where that cool 51 Oldsmobile went after my brother sold it to a good friend late 1957 and the good friend sold it years later.

Recently, I asked the friend if he remembers the car and what happened to it. He is 80 years old today and said that after high school, it all became a blur.
    upload_2021-7-17_4-13-29.png
    But, he does remember the time he drove around the block, when it was painted a Lime Green, and happily drove it back to his house.

So, by the end of the series, I decided that is where my brother’s 1951 Oldsmobile Sedan ended up 60 years later. A dry Arizona desert environment hidden among the huge piles of old cars in all shapes and sizes… as depicted in this TV series. (under a Faraday Cage wrapped with tin foil... Well, it was called tin foil back in 1957 when my brother sold his 51 Olds sedan.)

In the series, some eyes may be open to what the teenage girl has to say as to how she sees the whole world through those young eyes. YRMV

On to Season Two coming up shortly...

55 Ford Gasser likes this.
  18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Not a TV so much.. but Movies...... of course Thunder Road had everything.....

movies_thunderroad_tr1-3.jpg movies_thunderroad_tr1-7.jpg thunder_road_image.jpg thunder-road-1422.jpg thunderroad-car1-ford3b.jpg

19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

And of course from TV....The Life of Riley........
    Love this coupe and still do and the OG owners iconic display of tool fetish.....

dec56.jpg dec561.jpg dec562.jpg

20. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I knew it wouldn't take long to get off subject and add movie cars.
    Anyway, the one that sticks with me is the '65 Corvette from the
    tv show "Stingray". The show ran for a couple of seasons in the mid '80s.
    Often, the way it was filmed it had a sinister look.

zzzzzzzL.png

21. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I couldn't find a photo of it but I remember the kustom Merc that Josh Brolin
    drove in the '80s detective series "Private Eye".

22. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I am surprised too. I Know that’s the car that did it for me, maybe the move is to new most guys had the addiction already?

23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The Munsters car.

Just Gary likes this.
  24. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

25. I’m with MCjim- Sanford and Son, some of us are from a different time.

26. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More from a different time... Greg Brady's Bel Air:
    Brady-Tri-5.jpg
    The story line was that Greg made a foolish purchase on an old junker. But even as a 10-year-old, I knew the car was the coolest damn thing EVER, and scrapping it at the end of the episode was a CRIME.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    quick85 likes this.
  27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I couldn't possibly disagree more, but then again my past may have something to do with it. I never ran a shoebox Chevy but I was pretty deep into street racing.

28. Great show, I have some episodes tucked away on VHS

29. Many that I had grown up watching have already been mentioned. The cars on Mannix, The Batmobile, The Black Beauty, Munsters Cars, etc....having a Dad in the hobby & business, I loved them at an early age.

One that is top 5 on my bucket list that I remember seeing on a TV show was the P-1800 Volvo
    that was used by Roger Moore in the Saint. Even though I am mainly a GM guy for about 75% of my likes, this one always caught my attention & will have one in the next few years!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

alfin32 likes this.