Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can a 1932 Ford drive train survive a 283 sbc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AZdeuce, Mar 20, 2021.

1. junkman8888

junkman8888

If, with that setup, you really intend to "slam the gas pedal to the floor", what you need to use instead of rear tires is a pair of those roll-around wheels made out of plywood. That way you could tell people you did a "burnout" with a stock '32 ford trans and rear end!

Budget36 likes this.
  2. Sheee-it. The last early ford transmission I had blew up 1st gear [with a stock 40 ford flatmotor] before I even got it home from buying it. I can't count the number of shubox trans and axles I trashed. The way I drive, I need the strongest parts available. I won't have a good time if I have to worry about fragile, old Ford parts breaking. Yeah, I know that old stuff it traditional but changing axle keys and transmissions takes all the fun out of having a hot rod. Gimmee 31 splines, Muncie gearbox and a 12 inch clutch. I'll be just fine.

olscrounger, bowie and Budget36 like this.
  3. sunbeam

sunbeam

I never could see the advantage of adding power and keeping a weak drive train.

olscrounger likes this.
  4. Fogger

Fogger

If the axle taper and hub are lapped together for a tight and precise contact the rotational force is not on the axle keys. Also the torque applied to the axle nut has to be excessive and rechecked after fitment, 200 lb ft minimum. If axle keys are sheared the initial assembly was incorrect.

warbird1 likes this.
  5. I've been driving my '40 with a Cad 390 backed up with a '39 transmission and stock rear end for almost a year with no problems. I won't do burn-outs or try to speed shift it so don't expect any issues either...

jimmy six likes this.