Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chopping a 1950 Nash Ambassador (Unibody)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pre-K, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

Here's the NYTimes link:

http://collectiblecars.nytimes.com/View_Listing.asp?ListingID=COL702124

Edmunds made the dual carb head. Headers, you are on your own I think. 140hp isn't bad, either.

If you want to emphase the goofy, I'd recommend a flame job- from the bottom up, all the way around the car... :D

2. Kustom Fabricator

Kustom Fabricator

Did this car ever get chopped or know what happened to the car or thread?

3. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

Well, I went back into hiding I guess. The design has progressed, but I haven't cut anything yet. No guts, no glory...

Currently designing the use of a hood and maybe part or all of the front bumper/grill from a 1953 Cadillac (hearse) I picked up last week. They were parts my mom has stored since I junked the Cad hearse in 1976. Might use the motor, too, if I don't use my 351C or Olds 455 (kinda big).

Still planning to lay down and reshape the windshield and pie cut the rear of the roof to meet the rear fender profile. It's not a stunning statement, but it would be a very sleek Nash, at least from my photohacking.

I'm also busy with a 1963 C-10/Avion C10 combo and possibly a new to me 1967 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, plus buying a house with a better work environment. Getting older faster than I am making progress on the Nash, and dirt floor barns suck.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Stompin!

Stompin!

any progress ?

5. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Pre-K last activity was September of 2016

6. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Hey if you are going to chopped it why not section it as well. Cut it horizontally right where the side chrome is.

7. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

So did anyone ever chop one?
    [​IMG]

alfin32 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. TCTND

TCTND

I always wanted to cut off everything below the chrome strip and make a hovercraft out of it.

RMR&C likes this.
  9. socal34

socal34

I think Barris chopped one, you can see it in theBarris Kustom book Vol # 1 on page 121 in the back ground

10. Not impossible to make this work, just very difficult - it´s the sort of chop that would make you wish you´d never heard the word Nash.
    da1011-114804_4@2x copy.jpg da1011-114804_4@2x.jpg

Also just noticed there´s 12 years between my photoshop on the first page and this one. I think I´ve improved a little since then.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  11. rudestude

rudestude

A few years back a friend of mine bought a 50 Nash Ambassador 4dr.
    He had my uncle build a full frame structure that incorporated the original uibody stuff , Volare torsion bar front suspension, coil over rear suspension narrowed 9" , tubs , blown 460, all wired , paint all jammed in...getting close, fired it but had not driven it yet.
    One night the top got lowered...it didn't turn out well...but usually never does when a building falls on them.
    It was parked on the ramp hoist in his exhaust shop one winter night , snow load brought the roof of the shop down ..flattened the Nash his new Mustang and a Eliminator Kawasaki.
    Parted it out ... never got to drive it ..almost 3 years of build time.

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Tim Walker

Tim Walker

I have always wanted to turn the drive train end for end in one of these and do a radical flame job. No joke it would look soooooo good. Tim

13. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Tim, do you have it mark out yet, I am ready for the first cut.

14. Tim Walker

Tim Walker

Turn the suspension end for end so you drive it opposite from stock, replace the engine with a Olds or Cad Eldo front wheel drive locked straight cut in a 69 falcon front suspension where the rear end used to be . Add 51 Lincoln frenched headlights as far out as you can on the same plain as the stock tail lights Add a double stack of 59 type tail lights so you would had four in a tight square where the head lights used to be add flames and ? Just somethin been rolling around in my brain for years now. Sorry if it seems to far fetched.

15. cfmvw

cfmvw

That looks very nice! The proportions are just right and cleans up the profile.

James D likes this.
  16. Stompin!

Stompin!

I'm so glad I gave this old thread a kickstart.

James D - great new photoshop !!! what if you didn't lay back the windshield ? the roof line seems to rise up before sloping down to the deck. Laid back or OEM, I'd like to see the roof flow over the door as it was original (not as much curve).

17. I´m not about to change it so it looks worse.
    Flat door tops look awful if you rake the roof back.
    The windshield is really weirdly vertical on these cars. The idea is to make it more sleek. Compare the angle to a similar year Mercury.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  18. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

im glad it never happened . i think it would have been bad . i chopped a 46 ford 2 dr sedan years back ,and never liked the angle of the trunk afterwards . and making it flow was beyond my skill level . 46 aero already has it built in !! learned to late to save the ford ! foto shop it . much easier.