Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods UP DATE Hit and Run

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by da34guy, Mar 21, 2021.

1. UP DATE Never called Cop Shop, did call my insurance co, filed claim, got estimate, and forwarded pics and it by 10am yesterday Claim and estimate approved by 4pm, check in da mail 2/3 days they said. E Z pezzy. Now to go on with life
    So many of you would still be upset and dealin with cop shop and other BS. Life is to short to worry about little stuff. All have a great day and get out and drive em.

Stopped to top off the 36 yesterday mornin goin to a Coffee and Cars.
    Walk in to pay, was inside maybe 2/3 minutes. Walk out and see this. Not a good way 2 start yer day.
    Yeah I know, everybody's gonna say "They got camera's"
    Ain't worth the headache ass the "cop shop" ain't gonna do diddley. and the SOB probably doesn't have insurance. Oh well.
    1 phone call to my insurance co and deal with it.
    Thank god it only got the fender, bumper and brackets 36 Fender 1.jpg 36 fender 2.jpg 36 Fender 3.jpg 36 fender 4.jpg . The grille is safe

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  2. brady1929

brady1929

Sorry to hear and see that. Good luck to you. You are handling that way better than I would.

3. catdad49

catdad49

I'd be Pissed!

Lil32, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. That sucks! Thank goodness the grill is ok.

5. better to B pissed off than on. LOL

slim38, guthriesmith, Joel W and 7 others like this.
  6. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

That makes me sick!

Lil32 and loudbang like this.
  7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I hate stupid people.

Sandgroper, Lil32, williebill and 4 others like this.
  8. I'm pissed, and it's not even my car.

9. Buggers. Wonder if the fools posted on social media. They,re allways busy with the smart-phone :mad:.
    "look at me hit a old car , it made a funny noise, listen, now like":rolleyes:

Sandgroper, Lil32, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  10. Why wouldn't you call the police!!?? If they hit and ran once they would do it again!!! The next person they hit may not have the have the capital to just shrug off the damage and let the insurance company deal with it .

More likely it was some rich yuppie snob was didn't see any value in your car.

I got tail ended (very slow speed) at a light in my daily driver Chevy truck by a yuppie women in a new VW.

There was no damage to my truck but there were very light stretches valence of her car. She ranted and raved that "My worthless truck and damaged her new VW" She was going to call the cops and make me pay to paint her car.

I pointed out (along with the witnesses) she hit me, and she was going to get any tickets that she claimed down and then suddenly didn't want police involvment.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  11. Sucks to have your ride smashed .. ... while the "smasher" gets to ride on, to smash again.

12. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call the cops and check the cameras! DO NOT let the assholes get away with it!

BigDogSS, mgtstumpy, TCATTC and 19 others like this.
  13. Sucks. Sorry man. 2nd thread with bad energy today. Gotta turn it around.

14. Call the police, get a police report, check the cameras, if any. It may help with your insurance company as well as catching the worthless S.O.B. that did the hit and run.

TCATTC, Sandgroper, Lil32 and 11 others like this.
  15. 2935ford

2935ford

Ya, I would definitely want to know who did that! :(

wraymen, Sandgroper, Lil32 and 3 others like this.
  16. It’s worth the effort.
    If there is a plate number legible or they can identify the vehicle involved by the cameras . Potential charges can be laid.
    Realistically a couple hours of your time to get the cops involved. Why let these idiots off with nothing.
    These are the shit heads who think they are smarter and better then the rest of society, naw...... there scum, at least try n get them there just desserts.

TCATTC, Sandgroper, Lil32 and 11 others like this.
  17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Robert J. Palmer

I loathe the people who do this sort of thing and just shrug it off. However, in spite of your particular experience, there are plenty of people from various segments of society who totally disregard their responsibility if they think they can get away with it. Not all financially well off people are a$$holes anymore that all poor people are saints. Ethics/morality varies widely across social class.

I agree with others who posted that an effort should be made to track down the culprit, even if the OP has to do the ‘legwork’ of looking for video coverage. But I would start with a Police Report. Regardless of how they deal with it, it is worth having on the record and that’s likely the first question the Insurance Co will ask.

One thing though, in some jurisdictions the police are not empowered to do much about mishaps like this when they occur on private property and not on public streets.

Ray

upspirate, hidez57, TCATTC and 11 others like this.
  18. wicarnut

wicarnut

Let us know how your insurance company handles this, it's good to hear how a company handles claims for future reference. I have Grundy and several friends that have Grundy and their payout on claims has been excellent from our experiences. Very Nice car, and know how you feel, happened to me on one of my OT hobby cars, got over the PO part, no problem with insurance payout on repair (his insurance co. State Farm) I resisted the instant urge to ring the young mans neck. Nice kid, first words out of his mouth were "I'm so sorry sir", he had insurance, the sheriff gave me the choice of ticketing him or not, so I gave him a break, Sheriff and kid thanked me, after cooling off I remembered my youth and some lessons learned the hard way and I got a few breaks. I believe in the payback/forward deal, in your case hit and run, I would not be as forgiving. Sorry it ruined your day, on the positive which is tough to see when PO, you have your health, Spring is here, Summer around corner and car should fix good as new.

williebill, catdad49, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

"Stupid is as Stupid does" - since damage repairs through insurance can be a pretty penny, it is worth going to PD and filing a report. Yes, could have been worse see thread "Mad Mikey Accident"

Lil32, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. Bummer way to start the new rodding season.

jim snow, Lil32 and loudbang like this.
  21. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd certainly want to see if there was any video captured that would show the incident, and possibly identify the culprit.

My tow vehicle is O/T, and large enough to see easily. Normally I take the hitch out of the receiver since I already have enough scars on my shins. A couple years ago I was sitting at a stoplight and a pink-haired kid rear-ended my rig with what appeared to be his mom's less-than-a-year-old Toyota Sienna soccer van. He was still on the phone chattering when he got out of the van. On this particular occasion I still had the hitch pinned into the receiver. No damage to mine, and my hitch was buried within the nether regions of the A/C condenser, accompanied by a slight hissing noise. He knew he screwed up, didn't want to call the cops, and I figured he was going to have enough issues dealing with mom since it was August and her rig was bleeding R-134. I figured no harm done, so we parted ways. Some of his rubber bumper came along with my hitch when I drove away.

22. Years ago in my travel nurse days, I hit a new Honda in the condo parking lot with my Super Duty at 3am. We were going to pick up a project car in the Bay Area. It ripped the quarter panel open like a beer can. In my defense, the fog was really thick. So, called my insurance company and got a claim #, put it and my cell number in a baggie under the windshield wiper. I still get a Christmas card from them 18 years later. Still sucks getting your car damaged without so much as a “Sorry”.

Rolleiflex, rod1, TCATTC and 10 others like this.
  23. ^^^^^^^^ Brings back memories Ebbsspeed. ^^^^^^^ About 35 years ago a guy gave me a light tap from behind and hooked his Triumph Spitfire onto my Opel Manta towbar/hitch. He had decent damage and i had none. After a bit of jiggling to free the two cars i told him i was on my way, you figure out how you fix the Spitfire.

24. True enough. But his insurance company may want to pursue the matter. :mad:

25. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

The problem with NOT turning in a hit and run report to the police is the other person will, trying to make it look like your falt.

03GMCSonoma and loudbang like this.
  26. evidently he didn't see the message on your grille;...I say find the guy, make him pay.

TCATTC, williebill, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  27. trollst

trollst

The REAL problem with not reporting this.....is the fucker gets away and lives another day to do it again, just like catching a thief in your shop and letting them go.....if you do what it takes to stop them, make them own up to, and pay for the damage, they will be a little more aware. If you write it off for insurance to fix, everybody loses and our premiums eventually climb. I don't care what kind of car this is, you cannot let some idiot get away with shit like this.

28. Family friend got rear-ended by a teen driver as she was waiting for traffic to clear to exit a parking lot. Kid got out, apologized, said it was his fault, and gave her insurance info.

Kid then went home and told dad that she backed into HIM. Dad told ins co same story. She had to use her insurance to get her car repaired, and theirs.

Moral of the story..ALWAYS call the law. Even if it's on private property, in most cases they will take a report.

Just Friday, we had a customer that got backed into by a delivery box truck. 2 Foreign nationals with a sob story about a new CDL, could they pay cash for repairs? Huge shitshow, they didn't want to call police. When pressed, they finally offered up an "insurance ID card"...no phone number. Ten minutes of driver looking through phone, delivered a phone number. Customer called, not an insured customer. Police finally arrived, impounded truck as it was uninsured. She left before they took action on the driver, whom I would guess was unlicensed.

Moral of the story...ALWAYS call the law.

29. 64Pony

64Pony

Doesn’t help that it’s on private property either. Police won’t do anything. They were probably so focused on reading your grill, they ran into the car. There’s a special place in hell for these type of people.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Lil32, 03GMCSonoma and loudbang like this.