Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical So that old 59 Flatty then. Is it going to run?? If so, for how long??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mart, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Mart

Mart

I've been working on the 59 Flatty for 6 months. It's in the 32 frame, so why not see if it will run?? Thanks to everyone who has followed the progress on this old Flatty. Take good care of yourselves and I'll see you next time. Mart.

SPEC, Randall, ottoman and 9 others like this.
  2. Great job Mart!!! Starts damned near as easy as the '34 or pickup. Sounds smooth and quiet to boot.
    I may have missed it, but what weight oil did you use? These things were built to run on non-multi-wt oil, so straight 30 or 40 wt should be good.
    The other thing to ponder is: both the 59 and crusty are good with 'iffy' bottom ends... worst case, you have the cranks ground under, and a new set of bearings, and you're good to go with either one, so doom and gloom here.
    Well done...you may have a future in this old car stuff after all!
    Thanks for this series, and keep the updates coming!

osage orange and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  3. Another great job and video Mart - enjoyed !

osage orange likes this.
  4. I agree,,,,oil pressure is only issue so far .
    Might be a case of the pressure relief valve sticking somewhat,,,,,because it was over 80 psi at the beginning of the run cycle .
    Maybe it has partially stuck just enough to bleed pressure down after warm up .
    Might be something to look into .
    But,,,it’s probably the bearing clearance,,,,,either way,,,,it sounds quiet enough,,,,,no clacking or knocking .

Good job Mart !
    You took something that most people would throw away,,,,and brought it back to life .
    Very good job !

Tommy

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    osage orange likes this.

5. dudley32

dudley32

You think maybe a set of bearings might get the pressure up? Good job anyhow!

6. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I suspect the oil pump pressure relief also. Pressure going up that high at first startup had me thinking there may be an issue there. Especially so now, with the pressure being that low. Something to check, I'd say.
    Good luck Mart!

ottoman likes this.
  7. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'59 FLATTY???-----Never heard of one!---1953 was the last flatty produced!

scotts52 likes this.
  8. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The old 59 flatty sounded great! Great job Mart.
    Jim

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  9. Mart

Mart

Thanks Fellas.

10. Mart

Mart

Giving this a bump for Sunday. This one was a biggie for me.

11. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

Mart, As said above I think you may have a oil pump issue instead of bearings. But all things considered just making that engine run again is amazing! I really enjoy watching your videos. About every few days when I come in from a evening in the garage I will check to see if you have a new video up. I do not watch much TV but I really enjoy real guys like you who take the time to make these videos

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Startup on first crank over!!!! Congratulations Mart! Big event for you as well as those of us who follow along with your exploits. I really enjoy your show. You did one major "tidy up" on that engine. Maybe the oil pump. Now I know you like to reuse things but did you check the crank bearings really well. How much are new ones over there?

13. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats Mart, it sure fired up straight away and sounded good.