Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Odd Chevy wiring connector

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Mar 15, 2021.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I can't figure out how these come apart. '56 Chevy 20210315_135832(1).jpg turn signal. There is a small rectangle at each wire, that have something to do with it?

2. squirrel

squirrel

pull the wires out. There is no trick. Although figuring out which wire to pull out, might be tricky.... I'm pretty sure you pull on the wire that go to the lights, not the ones that go to the main harness..

scotty t and olscrounger like this.
  3. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

There is a little tab in the square area at the top of each wire. That little tab holds the connector in the plastic housing. If you can get a small flat screw driver in there you can push the tab down toward the wire and pull the connector out of the plastic.

They still sell those plastic connectors, I think classic parts of America

4. squirrel

squirrel

Oh...if you're trying to remove the terminal from the housing, you can press the tab with a very tiny screwdriver, or hair pin. But if you're just trying to disconnect the lights from the harness, you pull the light wire out of the housing, it is not retained by anything other than the spring tension in the mating terminal.

blowby and scotty t like this.

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks guys. I wan't to pull the turn signal out of the body (Corvette) without cutting the wires. The terminal will fit though the hole so whatever is easiest on the old wiring and connector that I want to reuse.

302GMC likes this.
  6. Mark the plastic so you know which wire goes in which hole use a small flat screw drive to release the connectors. These connectors are called packaged 56 series. The male is harder to ge loose yo get lose from the side.Take a picture from the end and we can help you more.

blowby likes this.
  7. X-cpe

X-cpe

Made from a piece of hacksaw blade 50 years ago.

DSC00371.JPG

vtx1800, blowby, TFoch and 1 other person like this.
  8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I poked and prodded some but no luck so far. Here's the best I can get in there with the camera, both sides. Where should the blade go in?

20210316_104242(1).jpg 20210316_104432(1).jpg

9. upload_2021-3-16_11-40-31.png
    See the little flap/tang in the middle of the middle picture?...thats what needs to be flattened to come out. If you push the wire inward as you're sliding in the tool from the other side, it helps to "unhook" the barb.

blowby likes this.
  10. This is the side that stays in the plastic “plug” with the body harness, the wires that lead to the light just pull out although they may take convincing

blowby likes this.
  11. Got it...the male side probably looks like this then...note the barb on the side.

upload_2021-3-16_12-2-6.png

blowby likes this.
  12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

2 out of 3 ain't bad, one wire broke. Just lubed and wiggled.
    Thanks guys! 20210316_123523.jpg

vtx1800 and scotty t like this.
  13. X-cpe

X-cpe

That saved you from a future gremlin.

blowby and Algoma56 like this.
  14. On a related note; what crimping tool should be used for these connectors? None of my pliers do a really good job of crimping wires to this type of connector (and not in one, swift step).

15. Dennis D

Dennis D

I too would like to find those crimpers. I have four or five different crimping tools and none work well on the male connectors because of the "wings" on the back of these.

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Forget marking the plastic part. Put a number marker on each wire, on either side of the connector, so if a wire pulls out from the wrong side there's a wire marker on the other side to allow you to know where it mates to.