Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Liquid Nitrogen-Valve Guides

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seb fontana, Mar 9, 2021.

1. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I have Silicon Bronze valve guides to press in an iron block. Would like to cool them enough to slip in [small afraid of deforming], freezer doesn't seem to be quite enough. So thought dry ice; but to be sure liquid nitrogen ought to do it. Too late to call any suppliers to see if liquid nitrogen available to general public. Thoughts?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. I would think a few days in the freezer would be enough.

liquid nitrogen should be available and any gas supply house.or dry ice.

what are your thoughts? Hopefully just slip them in without pressing ?
    I guess to avoid honing and machining afterwards ?
    Would you still not have to trim them to length?

sorry just intrigued and confused. Help a fella out!

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Installation of guides isn't finished until honed or reamed, especially today with the corn gas.

ottoman likes this.
  4. Just looked into it here in Canada you don’t need any special license to purchase liquid nitrogen. But you do need to buy the container!!!

5. noboD

noboD

Put rubbing alcohol in a pail with the dry ice. The alcohol will transfer the cold much better then the air between the chucks of ice and not freeze. I did that in a shop we were pressing pins in a very tight hole. A few minutes in the juice and the pins fell in. After we were done I spit my chewing gum into the bucket and a few seconds later I could hear it crack. Liquid nitrogen will hurt you., like fingers falling off.

Tman, chryslerfan55, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  6. dartracer

dartracer

If you use liquid nitrogen you will need to cool the parts slowly. Metal cooled to quick will crack.

7. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Make sure there's some setup to stop the guides at the right depth.

Lepus, Deuces and blowby like this.
  8. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

I use rubbing alcohol in dry ice works fine.Did it on my old Farmall Cub long time ago

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

Wonder how that stuff plumbers use to freeze pipes would work? Liquid Nitrogen doesn’t sound safe to me.

Deuces likes this.
  10. I've used co2/halon fire extinguishers to shrink parts, don't know if it'll work for this application. Use thick gloves and keep bare skin away from the nozzle! Put small parts in a bin or jar so you don't blow them across the garage.

Oh... and don't use an extinguisher you rely on for future fire safety.

11. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Sometimes it's easier to heat one part, rather than cool the other part enough to make the same difference in size. Sure, cast iron probably changes size with temperature less than the valve guides, but there's a definite limit to how cool you can get something. -273.15C is as cold as anything can go, while you can heat cast iron until it melts at +1200C or something like that, should you want to. Joking aside, it's way easier to heat things than to cool them down once we get below about -50C.

12. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

There was a prison used made by Goodson. Thayer a engine building tool supplier that you spray on and and is meant for valve guides and piston pins. I’ve done 100s of guides this way. You need to measure the id/od and make sure you have the correct interference fit. Shrinking is fine but may not be necessary. And as mentioned you need to have a stop so you don’t go to far or not far enough. If shrink /expand and have to make a small adjustment the braking force to move it will be greater and potentially cause more problems.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Back in coll-edge I saw liquid nitrogen poured into ordinary thermos bottles.
    Great fun freezing erasers and shattering them.

jimmy six likes this.
  14. We use dry ice sometimes. I am pretty sure that you can buy liquid nitrogen if you want to, but dry ice should get the job done for ya.

15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Holes for the guides are .4375, guides measure .4395 to .4398. So about a .002 press and length is to size. Made a set of pliers with a depth set for guide height. Went to freezer to get some ice and experiment with alcohol and found a bag with some dry ice in it so I took some and dropped a guide on it to see how much shrink it will do. I took an ice cream sandwich while I was there too! :D

16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Not to avoid sizing ID or length. Just so they don't self broach any material off of the OD on the way in.

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  17. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Usually you need to also heat the heads or block, its kinda' a two part process. Freezing the guides alone may not be enough to shrink them enough to fit.

18. noboD

noboD

I would also make a punch to act as a mandrel, loose inside ID with a shoulder to drive them in.

19. Dry ice is approx -40F (-40C, same at that temp). The alcohol solution with dry ice is best way to transfer the cooling.
    You can also heat the head to add additional clearance.

Sent from my SM-A102U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Well my dry ice experiment was a dud, cause it wasn't dry ice!o_O The ice cream sandwich was good.:) Tomorrow I will find some real stuff.

21. Damn!:( Now I want one and there are none in my freezer.:mad:

Deuces likes this.
  22. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Sorry bout the sandwich:rolleyes:. I got the dry ice today, $3.00 a lb, so should know something by tomorrow; meanwhile another sandwich is doable:D

23. Budget36

Budget36

I like ice cream!

Deuces and seb fontana like this.
  24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Tried the dry ice and alcohol. Coldest the guide got was about 1°, good for about a .001 reduction on diameter. Went and checked the freezer temp and it turned out to be about 1° so the dry ice is more or less a wash:(. So I called Airgas for liquid nitrogen, yes general public can get it but you have to have special container, available for purchase at over $200. Cryro- something container. Not thrilled with that cost I found "freeze spray" aerosol can of Liquid Nitrogen, claim -60° in 3 seconds. We will see what it can do, got a 10 oz can coming tomorrow. I wonder how long it will last, good for warts and skin tags tooo_O. Back to the freezer for an Ice Cream sandwich:D.

25. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Up date.. Tried the Freeze spray, 3 second hit. Temp got down to -34°, good for another half thou. I think it will be enough, at least to make me feel more comfortable. Made an alinement/depth bushing so gathering up the gallunes to start pressing. Time for ice cream:D

chryslerfan55 and warhorseracing like this.
  26. Deuces

Deuces

I'll take one with vanilla only please.....;)

chryslerfan55 and Budget36 like this.
  27. Now you got my shop inspector wanting one too and I still don't have any.
    106_0091.JPG
    She is pouting and getting grumpy.

28. Reidy

Reidy

Did you start with the guide at room temperature for the 3 second spay or out of the freezer. You may get a bit lower temp if you pre cool the guide in the freezer.

warhorseracing likes this.
  29. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Great idea I will give that a shot! Thanks..

30. Why do I get the feeling your shop inspector is going to be getting the boss ( your wife that is) involved in this.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.