Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 37/38 Chevy Gasser and I’ve got the Pink Slip!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SilverJimmy, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Go with the tunnel ram and you won't heave to worry about the missing port deciders. The way the runner deciders are partially missing is a curiosity.

loudbang likes this.
  2. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Been doing a little research and I’ve found that Horne/Cragar intakes were actually made without a port divider where the intake meets the head. Probably because intake ports were commonly siamesed in a lot of early engines so the thinking was it was better?! I’m talking in-line 6’s like my GMC 302...

Thor1, egads and loudbang like this.
  3. GuyW

GuyW

Attached doc is what I found. And Google search of the address shows a commercial building that currently for sale. A further Google search may find Robert Strout.

Attached Files:

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  4. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Finally got some time to post the last of the stuff, the wheels! The fronts are 15x4 with a 5 on 5.5 bolt circle. CD99177B-5B72-4D9E-99EA-58F6D6587C5C.jpeg I also got three of these chrome plated center caps. The plating is pitted, they will need rechromed if I’m going to run them, or try to find polished aluminum ones. I’m thinking the polished ones would look better....
    3F88B808-37C9-4778-8C25-F9DECD91A313.jpeg
    903B41E7-07DA-495A-BC0C-CBA6A553AE2C.jpeg
    The rears are 15x10 with 5 on 4.75 Chevy pattern. The PO had all the wheels polished about 20 years ago and then they sat in his garage and turned dark gray. F357CF27-FDAF-4B2B-BDFD-F7E545C84FB6.jpeg
    I don’t know yet if I want to leave them dark gray or polish them. Does anybody have any experience with polished magnesium here in the dry air of Arizona?

catdad49, Stogy, bchctybob and 11 others like this.
  5. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Also can anyone verify what the wheels are? There is no ID info on the front or back side of any of the wheels. I’m thinking American Racing 5 Spoke magnesium, yea or nay?

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  6. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

This is one really cool build. You are a lucky man!

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I think your a long way from wheels. Get the driveline and body together. Lippy

Lil32 likes this.
  8. Yes, they are American Racing. They did not cast American Racing on their magnesium wheels except some special wheels that had it on the front side in the lower flats of the barrel area near the spokes. There may be a small date code on the back of one of the spokes. Also real American Racing center caps were chrome plated. I'd probably have those rechromed if possible. Other companies used polished aluminum. I have a pair of NOS in the shop but there's 22 inches of snow in front of the doors so I can't get to them for pics.

9. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

That’s cool to know. I have some flat caps that I had made about 10 years ago. I’m thinking when I get to the wheels the fronts will look great with rechromed center caps and on the rears either the flat caps or maybe nothing with Summers Brothers Axles proudly displayed! Thanks guys for the verification!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    Stogy, bchctybob, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  10. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Got the numbers off the AFB’s tonight, they are both A9A 4664S. All I have found on the InnerTube is that they were originally on a 1969 AMC 390 with a manual transmission. Anybody else have any more info? Maybe CFM rating? 8020EE6E-F3EC-4C5F-B197-4D64ADE5EF76.jpeg

Stogy, bchctybob, AHotRod and 4 others like this.
  11. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Looked on the backside of the fronts tonight, you’re right, both wheels do have a date code. One was cast 06/01/64 and the other was cast 06/02/64. Must have been a matched set and together their whole lives! Couldn’t find anything on the rears though....

OahuEli, Stogy, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  12. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

I also stupidly got out the Mother’s and and nice soft rag......
    2F092B24-62C1-491B-A675-CDA284815B43.jpeg
    Man does that shine, I’m screwed! Does anybody have any tips and techniques for polishing genuine magnesium wheels?
    Thanks, I’m sure my fingers will thank you too!

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think @racer-x knows the ins and outs of this MAGnificent Metal...sorry is that paint or tarnish...you probably said already...:oops:

Thor1, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  14. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

The PO had the wheels polished then let them sit in his garage for 30 years. Tarnish!

Thor1, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. 97

Polishing real Mag wheels , look for Dave Mann @ www.roadsters.com then find magnesium wheels in his index.

Stogy, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  17. IMG_1779.jpg
    Easy enough to correct. Here's my 36 Chevy coupe rear setup. Also a former 60s drag car. Also a 57 Olds rear. Had 5.38 gears and welded spiders when I got it.

greasemonkey54, Stogy, TFoch and 3 others like this.
  18. I like the way you think.. This is going in my 36 Chevy coupe, former 60s drag car.
    IMG_1443.jpg

19. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Remember those crusty center caps? Well, about 30 minutes spare time and some #7 Chrome Polish and they look like this now!
    45EA1A4D-281D-4B10-9C77-9E71BEFA2790.jpeg One of them is really pitted and needs rechromed, but I’m thinking these two will be fine!

catdad49, egads, AHotRod and 9 others like this.
  20. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

After looking at a bunch of threads here on the HAMB and on the net to see how these Gassers were done “back in the day” so I don’t mess this one up, I think I’ve got a great idea...
    My wife and I are going out to North Carolina to visit family next month, so why not multitask the trip? Looking at the SEGA website, there it is!
    92A27BB8-1F67-46E2-8973-5A83EEEDFC09.png
    Called the track, they have camping right there so we don’t even have to worry about finding a place for the night. And it’s within an hour of my mom’s house! Very excited to get to go to a real heads up gasser race just like back in the day! Anybody have any tips for us?
    Thanks

OahuEli, Nicholas Coe, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  21. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

22. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Maybe someone from that part of North Carolina will know the answer to this question. The race at Shady Side in April, how does the weather usually play out? I can pretty much tell you what it’s going to be like here at home that weekend, cuz I’ve been here almost 60 years! I really want to see this race! Deep breaths, deep breaths!

OahuEli, Stogy, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  23. Crkrjac

Crkrjac
    from Waxhaw NC

The SEGA race at Shady Side is always EPIC!!
    I would expect somewhere between 80 to 100 (I believe closer to 100 for this year) legal cars competing in the best heads up nostalgia racing one could ever hope to see! Weather should be good. Best things I can suggest....come ready to have an awesome time with awesome people!!! And.....get there early as the place will be packed!!!! See you there!!

OahuEli, catdad49, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  24. Crkrjac

Crkrjac
    from Waxhaw NC

By the way, unbelievably jealous of your score on this car!

25. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Great info! Another question....
    Should I join SEGA? Would that be a wise and prudent thing to do? I’m ok with joining, if it helps them put on a better, great race, I’m in! Also looking on the Shady Side website they list the SEGA Race as being on the 16th & 17th, but the SEGA site only lists the 17th. Does anybody know what is happening on Friday the 16th? Should I try to be there both days?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  26. Crkrjac

Crkrjac
    from Waxhaw NC

I have been building a car for SEGA for a couple years...yeah I’m slow..lol... I am a member. I have spent way more money on way worse things in my life so if my small contribution (membership dues) can help such an awesome organization get any better than they already are.....count me in and I will continue with or without a car in the game. I enjoy watching the races more so than I probably will racing! This is just me and how I feel....
    I highly recommend attending both days. Schedule only list actual race day. Most Driver’s test the Friday before race. Good time to talk to everyone, hang out and get a feel for it. For me, race day just ain’t enough ...

27. AHotRod

AHotRod

SEGA Rules !

Love your car, great score

catdad49, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  28. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

I called SEGA HQ today to get the straight scoop and Mr. Quain Stott answered the phone. He must be the guy they always are talking about when they say “Southern Hospitality”! After nearly an hour talking to Quain, I know that my wife and I are going to have a great time. We will be well taken care of on our trip to SEGA Madness, just spent the rest of the day rearranging our trip so we can spend both days at the race. We literally CAN NOT WAIT!

29. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I think I have a single metal wheel cap PM me

30. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That's the same setup I built for my '39 Chev coupe, but I built ladder bars just because I love the looks and strength they have.

[​IMG]

Stogy, Thor1, NHBandit and 2 others like this.