Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Ed "Big Daddy" Roth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 10, 2019.

1. My regret too. And never met Sandy Koufax either, just as disappointing.

X-cpe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

3. 3quarter32

3quarter32

My running buddy and I met Ed Roth back in 1961 or 1962 one night at Cottons Drive In in Tulsa, OK.
    We we driving by and saw his car and trailer in the parking lot. Don't remember what creation he had inside the trailer. We parked and went into the dining area and there he was, sitting right by the cash register eating a burger and fries. We talked with him for a little while. If I remember correctly, he said he was going to Detroit for a show. Last year in February I met his son "Little Daddy" at the Starbird show in Tulsa. He had some interesting stories about his youth with his "Big Daddy" dad.

chryslerfan55 and jim snow like this.
  4. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

An add from Custom Cars 1959. IMG_20201102_0003.jpg

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The Baron was an old time pinstriper named Bud Crozier retired from the Studebaker factory. He teamed up with Roth when Roth was starting out in his own shop. The Crazy Painters were Roth, Bud "The Baron" Crozier, and Crozier's grandson Tom Kelly. They worked together for a few years then Crozier died. That is all I can recall at the moment.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  7. Tom Kelly and his son Mitch still carry on the Crazy Painters name in Bellflower, Cal....

Sky Six and mad mikey like this.
  8. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I first saw Big Daddy in '62 at LA's Great Western Exihbit Center, 3rd Winternationals Car Show where he was doing T shirts. He had pre-made shirts (Robert Williams?) and was just air brushing on florescent colors. I slid up next to him and asked "is that an air brush ?" he looked at me and replied "smart kid"

30 years later, in 1993, Bonnie and I had the pleasure of spending a few hours sitting and chatting with "Big Daddy" at Bob Moscoffian's New England Nationals. After we talked a while, I brought up the 1962 story and his "smart kid" comment. He leaned over to Bonnie and said "I don't think he's got any smarter";)

9. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

10. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^Tweetie Pie’s always been my favorite! Kinda Doodle-buggish ^^

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Roth display at the Corvette Museum. Not my pictures, A friend sent them to me. On display until April going to try to make it over to see it before in ends. IMG_2682.jpeg IMG_2689.jpeg IMG_2681.jpeg IMG_2693.jpeg IMG_2673.jpeg IMG_2677.jpeg IMG_2684.jpeg IMG_2683.jpeg IMG_2670.jpeg IMG_2679.jpeg IMG_2674.jpeg IMG_2671.jpeg IMG_2699.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Show program from Detroit Autorama Big Daddy signed for me. img954.jpg

13. 34Larry

34Larry

Roth was a first class jerk. I have posted this in the past and will continue to relate this as long as I'm able to, and there are witness's to this happening. Absolutely no hero worship coming from me.............ever.
    I'll make it short.
    Puyallup Goodguy's summer 1991, infield grass at stadium. Just finished OT, '66, factory dual quad Riviera, (which had just taken 2nd place in modified at the week long, national Buick nation wide show in Bellevue where the cars were judged like concourse entrys). Roth with his display and tent set up just across from me. I thought how great to have a "Ratfink" tee shirt of a my ride to ware at runs and the like. I walked over to his tent,along with my brother, got his attention, asked him if he would do one and got this response, (and I'm not BSing anyone),............ " I don't do no "F,n" Buicks," in a booming loud voice. This in front of a crowd gathered around "his majesty".
    Totally embarrassing, made me feel an inch lower that my shoe soles.
    Make your own judgments, I certainly have mine and harbor them to this day.:mad::mad:

Irish Mike, SS327 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. caper

caper
    from Cape Cod

Larry, that was 30 years ago - let it go.

15. Rocks Rod & Custom

Rocks Rod & Custom
    from Raytown MO

My tribute to Ed and his little buddy, artwork was done by Neko Lynn. IMG_20210220_115149864.jpeg

Sent from my moto g(7) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

When Ed worked at Knott's Berry Farm, I had called him to see if he could make a body for a trike I was starting. He said we maybe could do a collaboration. My business was in La Mirada so he said he would come by at lunch. He walked in the back door of the shop and saw the custom Harley Frame and Sportster engine and said that he doesn't work on Harleys. He was cordial but firm. At the Cars of Stars and Planes of Fame in Buena Park, I helped him bleed the brakes on his VW trike, he was cordial then also.

17. loudbang

loudbang

Looks like @Moriarity garage/kitchen. :)

18. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

I spent an evening with Ed Roth at his 1st Rat Fink Reunion,held at Hollywood Cars of the Stars,which was co-incidentally my 30th birthday. I went with my buddy Steve ("Steve's Paintin' Place" Don Kirby's old shop) Johnson. Roth knew Steve from back when Steve worked for Darryl Starbird in Wichita,KS. They were telling stories about throwing scrap fenders at the hobo's riding in box cars. Von Dutch was walking around with a long barrel .45 revolver strapped in a holster. I asked him "Dutch,whatz with the piece?" He told me "The paranoids are out to get me."

chryslerfan55, mad mikey and GuyW like this.
  19. exterminator

exterminator

That could of been a bad day, bad news, sore tooth, whatever. I know i have in the past had a day or two like that. I am pretty sure that if he seen your post he would tell you he was sorry. Holding in anger for any amount of time isn't healthy for you. Try to let it go for your sake- not his.

20. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

21. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

22. coupeman

coupeman
    from Australia

What about absolute legend

chryslerfan55 and GuyW like this.
  23. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

25. JimSibley

JimSibley

I had 2 experiences with Ed roth. The first was at the mooneyes show back in 99, I think. He looked over my car and told me that he really liked it. I was young and he was my hero. He offered to pin stripe it the following year for me. I was "over the moon". Fast forward 1 year and I asked him if the offer still stood?he told me to get lost, and said that he only said that he would help me, because we were in front of a crowd. I was shattered! Never meet you idols! Included is a pic of the car after the late Alex Olivera, san diego pinstripe master ,did IMG_8824.jpeg it for me.

Irish Mike, GuyW and SS327 like this.
  26. spanners

spanners

As far as telling someone to not hold a grudge, I have a saying that I use. "You only get one chance to kick me in the nuts".

Irish Mike and mad mikey like this.
  27. I have heard mixed stories about Roth over decades. Some great, some good, some very bad. I never met him. I guess it depends on what day and time you got with him, and what mood he was in, I don't know.:rolleyes::confused:

28. Andy

Andy

I had a great experience with him! I was at a rod run. I don't remember where, Maybe Memphis. He came over and looked the roadster over very carefully. I showed him the fiberglass front spring and the odd features. He really liked the car. He was into fiberglass. We sat on the grass and talked for a long time. He said he wanted to paint it. I was thrilled. He said he had never painted a 32 roadster and I should send him some pictures. He had a miniature card that looked like something from a fortune cookie. I of course I lost it.

Irish Mike and mad mikey like this.