Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Th350 speedometer bullet leaking

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wfochris, Mar 6, 2021.

1. wfochris

wfochris

Ok guys I have done everything that I can find on here, new bullet, new gear another new bullet new seal driven all the way into the bullet and I can not get this thing to quit leaving, what else can I do/try all the speedo bullets I bought off eBay are they junk by chance

2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

are the bullets steel or aluminum?

3. squirrel

squirrel

find a good used steel one, put in a new seal, O ring, and gear, and it should be fine. Or see if it's really leaking from somewhere else?

olscrounger likes this.
  4. wfochris

wfochris

They are steel

5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

steel should work with new seals and gear-like Jim said are you sure thats the leak? Many times its the shift lever seal-have changed many

jaracer likes this.
  6. wfochris

wfochris

It is definitely the speedometer bullet, shift shaft seal was leaking I replaced it and it no longer leaks, I have this car up on a rack also and everything under around the trans is clean and only spot that has fluid is the speedo cable, I have read that some people drive two seals into the bullet but I would think I should not have to do that, maybe I will order some new seals and see what that does even though the new bullets had new seals

Center of the Galaxie likes this.
  7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If it has been leaking from the shaft seal it could have pushed oil up the speedo cable. May take some time for it drain down.

egads and squirrel like this.
  8. Any chance your vent is plugged and the trans is now leaking at the weakest spot?

I bought a steel replacement speedo bullet off eBay (for a TH350) and it worked and is still working fine.

I had a rear end that was blowing axle seals ... turned out the vent was plugged.

9. wfochris

wfochris

Vent may be clogged I have not checked it yet

10. wfochris

wfochris

Also may just be the fluid that’s pushed up the cable, I’m gonna go unhook it and try to get it pointing downward and let it sit and see if the bullet has fluid around it tomorrow or if it’s the fluid in the cable thanks that’s probably the easiest thing I can try right now

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  11. When I'm resealing these, and I do it fairly often as they are a common source of a leak, I always put 2 seals in the bullet. Maybe you shouldn't have to but it seems to work well that way.

egads and olscrounger like this.
  12. There is a inner cable seal and outer housing seal

Are you replacing both? or just the outer...

13. wfochris

wfochris

Yea I think I’m gonna also give that try too

Center of the Galaxie likes this.
  14. wfochris

wfochris

I have replaced both everything already and it still leaks, but I ordered both the oring and the inner seals again to try again, I have had 3 different brand new bullet and seals installed, and two new plastic gears

15. We’re the 3 bullets the same company? Find an old steel one and redo it. I just had one that I replaced and no issues.

16. wfochris

wfochris

So putting two new inner seals has fixed the leak, not sure why one wouldn’t work but it’s fixed is all that matters I appreciate the help guys