Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need a thinner Ford AOD trans mount

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kilohertz, Mar 4, 2021.

1. kilohertz

kilohertz
    from Vernon, BC

Good morning all,

I am working away on my '49 Ford F-47 with the flathead and '87 AOD mounted behind it. This is the way the truck was when I bought it and I am slowly working my way thru some of the issues. The tranny mount currently is 2 1/2" thick, bolted to an aftermarket cross member, I am trying to find a thinner mount, around 2" thick to lower the back end of the trans to eliminate the rub on the floor/firewall and to get the correct incline on the engine.

So far, I haven't been able to find any dimensions on supplier sites. Stud space is 2.75" and bolt hole space is 5.55" on the AOD.

Anybody out there know of some skinny mounts that are less than 2.5". I found the Anchor 2448 is the right spacing but can't find thickness dimensions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. squirrel

squirrel

get one for a Chevy, and make an adapter plate to fit over it, so it will reach the bolts on the Ford transmission

3. 73RR

73RR

If the aftermarket crossmember is a bolt-in affair then how about lowering it?

goldmountain and oldiron 440 like this.
  4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

On all the Ford transmissions I do in customer chassis I use an adapter plate from Roadster Supply that fits the AOD and C4 and uses a Chevy trans mount. Lots easier with bolts coming from the bottom than them dam studs.

squirrel likes this.

5. Fabricate one. That is what Hot Roding is all about. Maybe you need to be on a catalog build site.

6. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

I think early Mustang 3-sp/4-sp is a thinner mount than an AOD but still has the correct spacing on the trans.

7. kilohertz

kilohertz
    from Vernon, BC

Thanks boys for all the excellent ideas.

I thought about lowering the mount but didn't want it any closer to the ground. I have spent a good deal of time looking over the various mounts but none of the suppliers give dimensions unless someone specifically asks about it, which is why I am asking you fine folks. I checked the early Mustang but the C4 is a narrower bolt spacing ( oh maybe you mean std trans ) . I'll check out the Chevy mounts for my next build...see below for what I found today.

So today I went to the nearest distributor (I live in the country and everything is at least an hour away) and found they had a 2448, and it measures just under 2", which should get me close enough. I will try it out in a day or so as time permits.

And yes warhorseracing, THIS IS HOT RODDING, but why spend time building something when there are 30 to choose from off the shelf. This last week I spent my valuable time building a steering column mount, seat mounts, and today brake pedal mounts...all from scratch, cutting, bending, welding....I think that is Hot Rodding?? Also I have built an electric over hydraulic PS system for the MII IFS front end. I'm also building a TBI system for my flathead...have you done that? I catalog shop when it makes sense. I know I am new on this site, but this isn't my first rodeo. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone else for the awesome input.

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    Budget36 and fauj like this.
  8. You seem to have the ability, but no need to hurt our feelings with that off topic stuff.;)

Budget36 likes this.