Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 30-31 radiator substitute?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by inaford30, Mar 2, 2021.

1. inaford30

inaford30

I've read a few threads here for radiator substitutions in model A's, like ford 5000 tractor radiator and so forth, but they seem to center around 28-29 or 32 in discussion. I was curious if anyone found one that works well in 30-31 shells?

Sent from my SM-J7008 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Check out Champion Radiators. I bought one of theirs for my 30 A and it has been excellent. The price is cheaper than messing with an old used radiator.

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

look at mustangs from the mid 1960s

4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

What works in a '32 should work in a '30-'31. The Deuce shell is slightly deeper front to back, and it's got the slight V, but as far as I know the profile in front view is very close if not actually identical.

inaford30 likes this.

5. clem

clem

fwiw, I used a fordson tractor one on my ‘32, near perfect fit. ( sbc motor ).

continentaljohn and inaford30 like this.
  6. low down A

low down A

back in the day before every thing was reproduced i understood making something not right work, but today it's a different time zone. have you searched model A radiator on ebay hundred's and real cheap

inaford30 likes this.
  7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I agree with low down. Just spend the money and get a good one. Money well spent. Radiator shops around here are out of sight to re-do or build a radiator. Just had an O/T 70 roadrunner radiator re-done. $750 . Lippy

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Are you planning to run the stock engine, or some later V8? There are plenty of companies selling full height '32 Ford radiators, but also shorter radiators for '32's with lowered grilles. If you bought the shorter radiator they will fit the early grille surround better.

9. The top tank on a '32 extends out and won't fit a Model A shell. Also the filler neck is in the wrong location to be used on a Model A shell.

Charlie Stephens

inaford30 likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I full and well understand the need to go cheap thing but experience with cobbling a radiator where it doesn't fit to get by cheap wasn't one of my better ideas back a few years ago.

I don't know what the cost is now but back when I worked for a Ford Newholland dealer the replacement radiators for 8 and 9 N and other 50's early 60's tractors weren't too expensive.

Brice Thomas on Ebay = CGJ C, G, & J Inc * Radiators - Charge Air Coolers - Oil Coolers will build you a custom aluminum radiator out of aluminum or they also own US radiators for brass radiators.

595.00 for the aluminum radiator for my flathead running a deuce shell with a 3 week delivery time. Each custom radiator is made to order in Alabama.

11. inaford30

inaford30

30 forder briggs with a 41 flathead original grill shell. Want to stick with brass radiator and cap location. Industrial radiator or tractor would fit the bill with outlet and inlets added. I see it this way for example, if a tractor radiator fits well why pay twice as much for same radiator labeled for the car when most likely the same?

12. inaford30

inaford30

Why I want to start with a new brass radiator and add inlets an outlets for flathead. Was hoping someone figured out a tractor/ industrial replacement since ford stuck thier engines in everything. Personal choice aluminum is out.

13. inaford30

inaford30

I know finding good radiator shops are a dying art where brass is concerned. I planned on new radiator and add the necks for av8

14. inaford30

inaford30

I haven't considered the 8N or 9N I'll research that see if it fits thanks!

15. 34Phil

34Phil

Someone on here looked at using a tractor cap as it had a nice ridge but it was 2.8" ID vs. auto 2.2" so neck may not fit through shell.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    inaford30 likes this.
  16. Have only seen one Brice Thomas radiator. It was a work of art. Fit the 39 Ford like a glove. Cars owner gave them the measurements they asked for over the phone.