Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Shop Gremlins; do you have them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Mar 2, 2021.

1. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If I drop it, and it disappears that's one thing. But the gremlins usually don't wait for me to drop things. I simply lay them down, and the bastards steal them before I have time to grab my tools and pick the part back up! Then just for fun they put it under something, or in a different spot, so I spend a bunch of time trying to find the part again!

2. gene-koning

gene-koning

The worst part is they may be in the shop every day for weeks, then suddenly they hide and you don't see any sign of their thievery for a couple of full weeks. Then, about the time you think maybe they have left your garage, they show up with a vengeance.

Today was one of those days, I think they moved just about every other thing I laid down for more then a minute. That little project that took all day should have been done in a couple hours, if I didn't have to keep looking for something I just laid down. Darned Gremlins! Gene

mad mikey likes this.
  3. Sometimes missing bolts/parts is beter than finding pieces under the car with no idea where they came from

hotrodjack33 and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  4. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

I have a 4 yr old grandson that keeps telling me my toolbox is a mess.

210superair likes this.
  5. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I have had a few of those moments in the garage. Gremlins always running off with shit.
    It's funny when I look back to working in the shop with dad and the same little bastards were getting him as well. My main job as a kid was keeping the Gremlins at bay. Dad had it figured out.

6. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When we got our garage cabinets installed and there were a ton of drawers for all kinds of stuff, it was an organized person’s dream. There were so many drawers to put stuff and in a specific order. My wife was gracious enough to say that I could organize the drawers any way I wanted. So, they began to get filled up with the every day access tools and parts… measuring tape, packaging tape, scissors, cutters and other household stuff.

Then I started putting away our tools and garage parts, nuts, bolts, all different kinds of tape, fittings, measuring stuff, and accessory parts for the various drills and saws. It was looking rather good and organized. The household stuff was close by and handy, the intricate tools/general stuff were in the lower drawers. Finally, the larger power tools had their own deep drawers, away from the daily activities.

One day my wife wanted to get something out of one of the garage drawers and got lost in the shuffle. I told her that it was in the top center drawer for everyday tools, pliers to the left, screwdrivers to the middle and various other hand tools to the right. It seemed organized to me.

So, she yells, “Where is that tool?” I kept telling her it was in the top center drawer. I should have said the second drawer left to right on the top row. but, it was too late. Those tools all came out on the counter and she was searching through all of them.

Jnaki

By the time I got to the garage, the counter top was a mixture of everything in that center drawer(s). She found what she was looking for in one of those Phillips Head and flat blade screwdrivers all in one, but with the ends bent for narrow spaces. But, when she walked back into the house, it was up to me to find and put those tools back in their places.
    upload_2021-3-4_3-58-4.png
    For some reason, I was now missing several sizes of Allen Wrenches that were in their own spaces for my next project in installing a couple of towel racks. Some little gremlin…we know who, but, forever will remain blameless and nameless… was somehow involved and responsible. Don’t we all know what battles could be won and which ones will be a blank wall? Yikes!!! YRMV

7. v8flat44

v8flat44

No gremlins, but i found out that certain tools have wings.....some are magicians; they disappear & then magically appear somewhere else......

8. mickeyc

mickeyc

Big feet! That is my problem. Anything and everything I drop goes
    from vertical freefall to horizontal launch off the front of my shoe.
    It is amazing how much floor distance a 3/8 nut can travel from a 4 foot fall.

X-cpe likes this.