Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Water pumps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 2, 2021.

1. I drove the old '32 sedan yesterday afternoon and noticed a unusual noise and when I got home I left the car running and upon opening the hood the noise seems to be coming from the water pump, it's been on the car a long time and I guess like everything else they wear out.

The odd thing is it's not leaking but sbc water pumps are not expensive and I figure I'll go ahead and swap it out before the the shows and runs get cranked up, If they do.

What is the normal life of a water pump? HRP

2. squirrel

squirrel

It depends.

HOTRODPRIMER and KJSR like this.
  3. modagger

modagger

Uh oh! Might water pump problems be the “H.A.M.B. demic of 2021?

I too went out for a short “keep everything moving” kind of drive yesterday, and checking over the engine on my return, noticed a very slight coolant leak coming from the water pump on the Y block that wasn’t there before.

I snugged up the bolts and will give it a warm up and check today.

HOTRODPRIMER and dana barlow like this.
  4. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I would say the life expectancy would vary depending on manufacture & quality.
    On my ot daily driver I flushed the radiator, changed all the hoses, T-stat & while the water pump was not leaking. There was some wobble on the shaft when you rocked the fan blade back and forth.
    Bearings were shot and would be leaking soon.
    I just thought it convenient to service the whole coolant system at same time, no wondering about what ifs.

HOTRODPRIMER and Jalopy Joker like this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

first answer to noise is "turn up your radio" - might as well replace belt(s) while all is apart

Blues4U and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. What's this radio thing you speak of? :D HRP

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN, Blues4U and 5 others like this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- OK, just need louder mufflers

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A little soluble oil helps. Get some Bars Leak and don’t put in the pellets.

bchctybob and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

There is no definition of normal.
    Pump shaft bearings are going.
    It’s old, fix it.

10. Your right Cob, it is old, I built the car 32 years ago and have never replaced the water pump, it's been a good one. HRP

11. Radio's are the Thing that makes Noise so when your Driving
    you don't think of other Thing's like a Noise from the Engine.!
    so make your Exhaust louder & Don't worry about it
    and take 2 asperins & call me in the am.

I think I have the Original water pump on my engine when I bought
    the 63 chevy Impala that was in 63, it been in my Merc.
    about40 some odd years

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Or none at all! :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

So where are you going for the replacement? The pump on there was made (or rebuilt) before the US outsourced everything to China. It was good, it lasted for several decades. Where do you go today to get one that's going to last another couple of decades? NAPA? Chevrolet? Local rebuilder?

14. jaracer

jaracer

If soluble oil helps, the bearing are already bad. They are sealed bearings.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I take all my pumps to local builders . I have Buddies that buy big box “ it’s warrantied for life “ ! Really I do mot want to work on it every year or sooner . I have looked at the “ new “ pumps , holes are drilled way off center on the casting , just junk to me . Casting look terrible . But I guess that’s way we advance in life , just ask for your warranty when the time comes

HOTRODPRIMER, 6-bangertim and Blues4U like this.
  16. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

i to would like to know of good place to get a new pump

HOTRODPRIMER and Blues4U like this.
  17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I just checked Rock Auto, they have a good selection of pumps, from inexpensive to high performance.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Interesting video here on water pumps. I like the advice to flush the system BEFORE pulling the pump. Sometimes that's not possible or practical, but if the pump is not locked up and you can run the engine I think it's a great idea to flush the system out before you pull it.

HOTRODPRIMER, Ned Ludd and upspirate like this.
  19. I betcha you'll not get another that'll last that long ;)

20. The water pump that is on the car is a Duralast and that's what I ordered, there is no re-builder that I am aware of here.

What I like about the aluminum W/P is there is a plate on the back of the impeller to reduce cavitation. HRP

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    ladyhrp likes this.
  21. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

If the next one lasts 32 years, it could be the last one you will ever need. Lol

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. If it does it will outlast me. :D HRP

ladyhrp likes this.
  23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Worked in the early 60’s on a 216 Chev pickup I had in HS. Noise went away with soluble oil from my dads machine shop .

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say 32 years on any water pump is pretty decent.
    The biggest killer of water pumps and alternator/generator bearings I have seen is over tightening the belts. Keep the belts adjusted right (to specs) and you have a lot less trouble.

bchctybob, jimmy six and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. dwollam

dwollam

I have had fan belts that made creaking noises that sounded like a water pump. A bar of soap will lube the belt and make it stop temporarily. If that works, change (or tighten) the belt. I have also had a cracked fan blade that made the same noise. That was on a SBC in a '41 Ford pickup. Glad I found that before it let go!

Dave

26. I had a friend that lost a blade on one of the aluminum bladed fans, he was on his way to Atlanta in his beautiful '55 Chevy. it ended up damaging his hood and destroying his radiator before he got the car stopped.

That's the main reason I use a steel bladed fan. HRP

bchctybob and ladyhrp like this.
  27. dwollam

dwollam

Mine was steel OEM GM fan Danny.

Dave

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Bottom line nothing is as it was in the good old days . Maybe HRP’s new pump is CNC built and will be of great quality , give it a go and see , new gaskets , check rear cover bolts for tightness and have at it . I’m hoping it doesn’t spoil the fun factor for you and all is well .

I think the GM aluminum pumps were built better than the iron pumps , as in larger bearing and enclosed rear of the impeller . The one I had years ago had a 3/4 in hub vs 5/8 on iron pump .

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-3-3_4-16-49.png
    Hello,

The best, longest lasting car/truck we had ever owned and driven to the ends of the roads, everywhere, was the red 1965 El Camino. I bought it new in Long Beach in the fall of 1964 after I sold my 1940 Ford sedan delivery and my black 58 Impala. I drove it to Northern California countless times during the college years during vacations and holiday breaks. Couldn’t wait to get back to So Cal. So, the miles started piling up. It got great gas mileage and handled well in the coastal roads or high speed empty freeways.

I only drove during the 2 A.M. to 6 A.M. time slots to allow almost no traffic in the North- South roadways. By 6A.M. the freeways begin to show signs of daily traffic, so I was usually, comfortably within striking distance to my final destinations. My Westside of Long Beach home or the college campus in San Jose.

When I met my wife in the final years of college in Long Beach, we started to put on miles of our own, going up to San Francisco and the Northern coastal roads for vacations and photo shoots. In a flash of miles, soon it was pushing 100k by early 1975, which is not much, thinking around 10 k per year, average. But, they were great miles and no trouble with the 327 four barrel motor.

In that last year of ownership, sometimes, it overheated going up steep hills in our neighborhood or up those steep grades in San Diego county, to the South. Something was not right. But, for all of the years of no service/repairs necessary, this was a first. My wife asked why I was never under the hood of the 65 El Camino. I was wondering that, too. The water pump seemed ok, with no leaks or noises, but with the change of the old thermostat, it still kept rising in the temperature.

So, one night in the cold car port, I turned the motor over without the belt on and it started to make some weird noises. In looking at the water pump, I surmised it would not take long to get a new one and make the exchange. So, out came all of the stuff necessary to get full access to the water pump. By this time, the mileage was around 120k and we hated getting rid of a car/truck that had given us so many miles of great road trips and reliability.

I kept at it until the new water pump was installed and everything was bolted back in place with no left over parts or nuts/bolts laying around. I started the motor and went for a drive down the steep hill and up the other side of the valley. It did not make any noises, lose any water/coolant and there were no leaks in the replacement job. So, I was assured that it would last another 120k at this rate of reliability.

Jnaki

Just as we were on another road trip, my wife mentioned she would like A/C in our road trip vehicle. So, we started to go shopping for the next reliable road car. Small station wagons to an old 50 Ford sedan were considered, but they were not what we liked, including A/C. One 65 Chevelle station wagon was close, (as it was our El Camino with more secured rear area behind us), but it had 4 doors and my wife was a two door person.

What felt like spending the long night in repairing the old water pump on the red 65 El Camino was for naught as the following week, we sold the El Camino to a surfer from Dana Point. He needed it for two things. Access to the rear bed and towing a boat trailer to the harbor launch ramp.

The interior was brand new when we took off the clear plastic seat covers and the spray-on undercoating made the salt water dipping weekly a no brainer. It sold on the spot. The last time I saw the 65 El Camino was parked in a coastal parking lot in Laguna Beach and it was painted blue.

It was a 120k miles of a reliable water pump and 327 motor. Our family mechanic in Los Angeles was amazed at the longevity of our motor and drive line components. For us, it was a very reliable vehicle and it made going on those long coastal cruises pleasurable knowing it would be trouble free cruising.

So, it depends on the luck of the draw. Besides, I found out that my El Camino was built on a Wednesday. We all know the difference in days of build versus longevity.

Blues4U, HOTRODPRIMER and i.rant like this.
  30. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Guess I have been fortunate in my life... I have never owned a car that required a lot of maintenance...The best one I ever had was a 1972 98 Olds....Got over 250,000 miles and nothing other than oil and sparkplugs were ever changed...Think I have only had to change one waterpump and that was on my old 69 Dodge pickup.....

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.