Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods No mufflers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 28, 2021.

1. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Mandatory Db level down here however you'd wonder with some cars. I wouldn't drive my cars without an exhaust and mufflers especially my FE Fairlane, not so much my 46 Olds as it has Dougs Headers cutouts. I carry PPE (Ear plugs) all the same for my Fairlane on long drives due to reverberation through floorpan.;) A friend with HDs advocates loud pipes :D
    upload_2021-3-2_9-51-2.png

Deuces, juan motime and ekimneirbo like this.
  2. AHotRod

AHotRod

I've been running straight 2.5" exhaust on my Coupe, from the front it's not bad at all, and even inside the car it's decent.... but standing or in a car behind it ... well it's a bit obnoxious. But with a state full of motorcycles and diesels with straight pipes, none of the Sheriffs seem to really care, can't remember ever hearing of anyone getting a ticket for loud exhaust here.

Sorry Mr. Cecil B. Citizen

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    LAROKE, Deuces, ekimneirbo and 2 others like this.
  3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, real loud. Not sure where that info came from, as here's what I found:

In Kansas, state muffler laws require vehicle exhaust noise to be less than 90 decibels when measured from 50 feet away. Considering that sound loses power the further it travels, the 50 foot rule in Kansas means exhaust systems can be louder in that state than they can be in California.

Also this:

§ 8-1739 Mufflers and noise suppressing systems.

(a) Every vehicle shall be equipped, maintained and operated so as to prevent excessive or unusual noise. Every motor vehicle at all times shall be equipped with a muffler or other effective noise suppressing system in good working order and in constant operation, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, bypass or similar device.

4. TCATTC

TCATTC

I'll bet you guys neighbors love you

Cosmo50, Deuces and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  5. Drive'em

Drive'em

Hey all, On my roadster in my avatar I have Sanderson headers with straight pipes that turn out just below the rear of the door. Imade my own baffels by simlply drilling 1/2" holes in some large washers and then welding them to a 8" piece of pipe, through the center hole in the washer. I then drilled a small hole into the exhaust pipe then into the pipe with the washers used a long sheet metal screw to secure it and done. It's been well over 10 years and have not been stopped yet. Knock on wood.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  6. You guys nailed it. "Responsible hoodlum" o_O i hope I'm drag racing ANYBODY when I'm 70 years old!!!! Hell, i hope i live 70 years!!! I may be a public nuisance, but I'm a productive member of society. I truly don't require anyone's approval :D I like my cars loud, and i love hearing others bitch about them. My name is Lloyd, and I'm a hoodlum.... :cool:

7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Hoodlum ; "a person who engages in crime & violence ". Just exactly what I'd hope that my children would aspire to be ....

Cosmo50 and j3harleys like this.
  8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That confirms it, you are on the wrong forum.

A portion of the mission page of the Jalopy journal:

The Jalopy Journal was formed just a few years later to spread the gospel of traditional Hot Rods and Kustoms to hoodlums worldwide… We wanted to be the voice of the working man, a tool in the toolbox of the guy that does it himself, and a place where citizen journalists could show the “big-time” media a thing or two. We haven’t done it all yet, but we aim to in time…

You can read it all here:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?page_id=2368

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    j3harleys and Deuces like this.
  9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

There are a ton of annoying sounds in the world. Go pick on them. Leave us hotrodders alone.

10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Is that at an idle, a steady state cruise, or under acceleration? Who measures it and where? What devices do they use? This seems like a really hard to enforce law.

11. Wow, is this pissing match still going on?!
    My Chevy's loud as a mutha and I love it!

12. Danny,

Edsel's Model 40 Speedster had straight pipes :D

[​IMG]

13. Unfortunately, yes it is. We made it through the spelling, grammar, drum brake, wheel choice and fender less police. So I’m hoping we will triumph over the noise police too. ;)
    Toto, we’re not in Kansas anymore but we might have stumbled into some even tougher enforcement. Hang in there, I can see light at the end of the tunnel......winter is almost over! :)

14. Truckedup

Truckedup

Your no muffler car ain't shit unless it spits flames

LAROKE, Stogy, Deuces and 7 others like this.
  15. ^ The Beast of Turin. Watch the first start up and build video, amazing.

16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Sometimes its just too easy to stir things up around here ( but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable :cool:)

31hotrodguy, chevy57dude and Blues4U like this.
  17. Wray, just hoping that light isn't a train...

18. That may well be the Curmudgeon Express. Hold your ground! Odds are it will run out of steam before it gets too close. ;)

dan31, Stogy, chevy57dude and 2 others like this.
  19. I could't agree with you more. We have lived in our home for over 30 years. I have the best neighbors you could ever ask for. But a couple have passed away recently. { Sad } When I built a little service station in our back yard. I asked them if it was okay? They gave me the OK. I also asked about the noise of my old jalopies. They are very noisy! I got the same response. They all said, we love your old Hot Rods. We also do stuff for each other all the time. I'll mow their grass when their sick. Nothing better than a Good Neighbor. I am very blessed. Ron.......... 009.jpg

20. My Hudson is straight piped flat 6 and sounds great. It’s really not that loud considering the low compression.
    It had a long glass pack till it rusted off. I just put a turn down where it used to be.
    Intentions are all new exhaust with a glasspack again.

21. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I'm not saying that continual or exceptionally loud noise is good. I am saying that many a motorist has been subconsciously forewarned that an unseen motorcycle was nearby and the law of averages says that most certainly that awareness helped prevent some accidents. Saying otherwise is short sighted ......or should I say "hearing impaired". Ever not see a motorcycle or even a car in your sideview mirror? Sure you have........
    One time I was trying to pull across a small intersection in my car. Cars lined the intersecting and narrow neighborhood street. I could not see anything as I slowly pulled forward. Then I heard the sound of a motorcycle and stopped. The guy was pissed that I had come forward, but he wasn't injured and he wasn't dead. Reasonable noise levels are acceptable and sometimes even desirable. We don't need to go the HOA
    (Homeowners Ass) route when it comes to enjoying our hobby.

Well said! One of my fondest memories of my younger days was doing a wheelie on my dirt bike as I went past a police cruiser and the resulting chase. Score 1 for the motorcycle......
    Second would be the Pocket Rocket Kawasaki 500 and the many many street wheelies it provided.......long ones!

Me and the gang

Terrorizing the neighborhood!

Smile, its all in fun :p:D:p:D:p

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    31hotrodguy likes this.
  22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Many years ago I was an avid motorcyclist, I put more way miles per year on 2 wheels than 4; I read all the industry rags and followed AMF and FIM racing. The only group of motorcyclists that claimed "loud pipes save lives" was Harley riders, nobody else in the motorcycling world believes that, and I don't think there is any science to back it up. It's kind of like the old belief that "sometimes you have to lay it down to avoid a crash". Bullshit.

Ever hear of the Hurt Report? It is the gold standard of research on motorcycle accidents. The Hurt report shows no evidence to support the theory of loud pipes reducing car/motorcycle accidents. In fact, motorcycles with modified exhausts are over represented in accident statistics.

Now, I'm not a curmudgeon on this subject, as I already posted, I enjoy some loud pipes myself, and I'm not here telling anyone to quiet things down. I'm just calling bullshit on the loud pipes prevent accidents urban myth.

Here's some reading on the subject:

https://canadamotoguide.com/2016/07/29/the-truth-about-loud-pipes/

https://motorbikewriter.com/challenging-loud-motorcycle-pipes-theory/

210superair and Just Gary like this.
  23. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

Ran these guys exclusively with open headers for years -- built 355 and 322 Nailhead. Sounded great and never had a problem with cops in Wisconsin.

DSC09661.JPG IMG_3928.jpg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    AHotRod, LAROKE, kadillackid and 7 others like this.
  24. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

This ran a flathead with straight pipes done "belly burner" style -- sounded perfect and not loud at all, but with the occasional small backfire pops when winding down from higher speeds.

TRUCK CHURCH BEST copy.jpg

25. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

This one ran a 350 SBC with straight pipes for awhile, but it sounded kinda loud and had that "drone" sound above 25 mph. Ended up putting Cherry Bombs on it. That didn't sound perfect either. I think the motor was too tame to get that performance sound -- probably smarter to go for a soft rumble with a set up like this.
    DSC08388.JPG

26. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

A slight overstatement..........

Having actually raced motorcycles rather than read about racing them, I can tell you from experience that laying a motorcycle down is preferable to high siding. I have done both and have the broken bones, scars, and a dislocated shoulder and 3 trips to the hospital to base my opinion on. High siding is almost always the worst option. Sometimes neither one is a good choice.........and sometimes you don't get to choose. Watch some road racing and see how often the guys who lay their bikes down walk away with no injury.

Not sure how anyone can document accidents that didn't happen or were avoided because someone was alerted to the nearby presence of any vehicle (motorcycle) by the noise it emitted. Common sense tells you that all of your senses provide some means of detecting a danger. To deny that sound can contribute to the avoidance of contact with an unseen danger is rediculous. Thats why they put horns on trains......and cars. You can find reports to read that will substantiate any point you want make, but they are written by people who often don't have first hand experience and have a preconceived agenda.

There is a statistic that is simplistic at best. Do loud Hot Rod cars have more wrecks than quiet Hot Rods or even all quiet cars? Not all modified exhausts are loud, just because they aren't original. Add to that the fact that a much larger percentage of motorcyclists ride modified/customized bikes than do comparable automobile owners. When a researcher wants to find a certain result, they use nonsense like that. It sounds good to the bureaucrats/ins companys/politicians. There might be an indirect corelation......but its more likely just misconstrued fluff to support a position.

Again, anything that provides a warning to any of a persons senses should be recognized as an additional means of averting an accident. To say that hearing something that you did not see doesn't help keep someone from making a mistake is illogical. Saying that some study can tell us about all the everyday accidents that didn't happen is illogical as well. Remember, it wasn't too long ago that leading experts were telling us that we shouldn't wear masks.........we see how that turned out.:D

kadillackid and Ebbsspeed like this.
  27. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

You missed the point, actually many of them. Horns on trains and cars are pointed forward, not backwards. They are of higher frequencies that are more directional than lower frequency exhaust note, which tend to be omni-directional. If you read the articles I linked you would've seen that the problem is that people in cars don't hear the motorcycle until it is next to them, or going away from them. To respond to the rest would be a waste of time. BTW, masks don't work....

Blue One likes this.
  28. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for bringing that one up. Usually what happens is that a rider panics and grabs a lot of front brake and down goes the bike. "I panicked and crashed" does not sound as good as "I had to lay it down".

Blues4U likes this.
  29. A timely thread. I am in the process of modifying my 331 hemi. It currently has stock heads with the small round exhaust ports. I built this set of equal length headers with glass pack header mufflers. Came out slick but I have never been happy with the small 1 5/8" tubes and grocery-getter vibe. Worst of all, they hide my Hydro tranny and ladder bars. Just don't go with my gasser look.

I am rebuilding a set of truck heads that have the 392 type big valves and ports but have the 331 type water handling (no X-over pipe), With these I can have big 2" pipes. I designed a set of gasser style shortie headers with 11" long 5" diameter collectors. I designed a 3-pass glass pac type muffler that fits inside the collectors. Will report back how it all works. Waiting for my valves, guides, springs, retainers, gaskets, etc. to get here from Hot Heads. Texas freeze has killed shipping. Headers have been ceramic-metallic coated and are on the way back from Jet Hot in Oklahoma. Chrysler Marine valve covers are at the platers. Stay tuned!!

1-p1March_Meet_sunday_tim_166.jpg IMG_1203.JPG IMG_1167.JPG IMG_1174.JPG