Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What makes a car guy ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Andrew Button, Feb 27, 2021.

1. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

To answer your question: Cars!
    Think about it: Without cars, none of us would be car guys!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  2. lake_harley

lake_harley

In a social setting I have to search for something to talk about if no one else likes cars, motorcycles or airplanes. I don't know if that qualifies me as a "car guy" or just socially awkward?

Lynn

3. v8flat44

v8flat44

Being easily distracted, adicted, swayed, confused, unable to sleep, because the pistons, gears, and exhaust sounds in what's left of your brain never stop...........help, .......

4. I am not at the top of the “car guy”mountain yet, but like trying to get pregnant , I am having a lot of fun trying to get there.

chryslerfan55 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  5. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

If the bulk of your wardrobe consists of grease stained automotive themed t-shirts, you might be a car guy.

olscrounger, mctim64 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  6. low down A

low down A

a real car guy doesn't have to ask other's if he's a car guy!

7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

When you meet someone who has a car because they think it is the cool thing to do. They might even do it for a living, but they only care about making lots of money and wooing other people. They don`t care about other people`s cars and they spend all their time looking for compliments when going to car shows. They want attention. When you can see right thru these people. Then you are a car guy.

8. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

You Either "Get It" Or Keep Looking.... 24210503_10155967347933035_7735080619651783043_o.jpg

9. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Don’t confuse car guys with want to be car guys. Live and die cars = car guy, wax your new corvette and call yourself a car guy,no.

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking back......Perhaps it’s stupidity....

j3harleys, clem, partsdawg and 2 others like this.
  11. When I first met my Wife & Decided to get Married I Told her
    You will Never have to Worry about another Woman Only
    another Car. or Motorcycle
    When I had my Shop in Tuscon I had 7 cars 1 for each day of the
    And I still Play with Car's some People think I am Crazy being in
    the Business for over 50 Year's
    and I still play with Car's!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. I totally agree. HRP

13. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

One more group that I can think of. The car guys that don't own cars. Parts hunters or junkyard visitors.I'm in that group now. Years ago I owned ,built and wrenched on quite a number of my cars. Hated every car that got too nice. I have no interest in cleaning and detailing. I would rather spend a day in a old salvage yard that I drove 6 hours to get to than go to a car show. I might buy another car/truck but it better be able to haul tools and greasy parts.
    I just got a tip about a running/driving '40 Ford Fordor and a 2 car garage full of flatheads and parts going for not much money. If the '40 isn't too nice maybe it's the new junkyard hauler. ;)

14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was born shitting gear lube and pissing anti-freeze...the handwritting was already on the wall.:eek:;):D

61SuperMonza and partsdawg like this.
  15. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Those old White trucks are a personal favorite.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  16. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

There's been a few times I've gone on vacation and have come across a local cruise night or car show where I was and could walk up and strike up a conversation with someone there. Car guys will know all the lingo and sometimes slang words used to describe things related to cars which would leave people who aren't into cars thinking we are speaking another language. I don't think at this point in my life I would be identified as anything but a car guy. It becomes more a life style than a hobby.

Just Gary and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just drink two cups of 90w every morning to get your day started and settle down with Ethyl every night

18. Do you look at any and every car and wonder what it would be like to drive it? Do you fantasize about owning a certain car or cars? Do you have a list of cars that you MUST have before you die? Does your wife stick her head out in the garage when it's getting late and say "How's it going out here?". Do you find your self improving things on your car that don't need improving? Are you constantly thinking of the next project even before the three or four you have going are finished?

Car guy!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

When your main interest in life is cars; you're a car guy.

bill gruendeman, clem and Just Gary like this.
  20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have to ask...o_O

21. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

What was the question? Oh yeah, I think the question should be, what makes a gearhead. LOL.

22. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup.

23. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

The definition is definitely different now days than it was in the 60's..greed & " all inclusiveness" have changed many things ..

24. Love of cars. I think car guys are born with it in their genes. Some like building more, some like driving more, some like trading them more and some just like to polish them and let other people look at them.

57JoeFoMoPar likes this.
  25. Fleetside

Fleetside

A car guy is like a sports guy. We live for our passion. It's in our blood. I watch the Superbowl and the big games. But I'm not a sports guy at all. For me it's just an excuse to get drunk and eat nachos and wings. For my friends it's a big deal. They have that in their blood. I have cars in my blood.
    And I suck as a mechanic. But that doesn't slow me down. I'll gladly take out a wrench and break something.

26. Andrew Button

Andrew Button

When older mechanics call you up about stuff so old they don't know about it...and I am not a professional mechanic..just old LOL. Somebody used a residential road by our house in the city in the middle of night, back in the late 70s to test some rear engine alcohol dragster and loaded it up on the trailer and drove away before the cops arrived. Thats a real car guy !

27. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

IMG_2221.JPG

Here’s my oldest “workin”

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

28. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know I am a car guy and I know which ones of my friends are. Thats all that matters.

29. Andrew Button

Andrew Button

I think Harley and T bucket/ratrod/jalopy guys are very very close in spirit. I often times pine for a panhead or something but haven't gone after a bike like I really should of when I was younger.

30. Andrew Button

Andrew Button

I would rather rub oil on a rusty model A than wax a corvette. I got rid of my Z06 to get back into hot rods and I have zero regrets. I had a dear friend that was a car guy, but a Corvette guy. He saw the rusty old Hulk of a 54 Super 88 I dug out of a field. He said what is this??. When it was all said and done,54 Sold in less than one day (think somebody was really, really on it bad), and the corvette that had all sorts of Mods, and it was for sale for less than half of what he had invested it, well it took him years, and I mean years to get rid of that car, and it was super clean and ran super strong. His car ran 12s,. My car didn't even run, we just pushed it around the farm, but I loved it never the less. ! His had Zano wax finest the finist red finish. Mine just had really chalky original magic mirror rust/red paint.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021