Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Period Correct Roadster Build. Cragar crossflow OHV banger. Stock to... not. A Hitchhiker production

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Nov 15, 2020.

1. I've had this project on the back burner for a few years, but with a recent move to a larger shop space. I've started to work on it. This is a older restored stock 1931 model A that I am turning into a full fender early hot rod.

It has a model B motor, with a rare Cragar crossflow head. It's basically being built with the intention of "full race" while adhering to period correct, as much as possible as I'd like to do some vintage racing with it. So I am sure some concessions will be necessary...this is engine my "big stick" and we're coming for you v8 boys....

Besides the engine, which we'll discuss more on later, plans call for a B transmission with zephyr gears and perhaps an early quick change, if I get around to it. Body will be left stock besides the addition of Chevy hood sides. Plans call for leaving the fenders gloss black and brush painting the body black. Interior will be left stock.

I have currently removed the stock suspension. Installed a dropped A axle with unsplit wishbone, and a reverse eye spring in front and heated and bent my steering arms to fit the tie rod below the wishbone.

My next plan is to borrow a rear spring spreader from @ClarkH and install a T spring in the rear.

Currently tires are 5.50x17 front and 7.50x17 rear. The fronts will surely rub with the fenders installed. I'm planning on going to 5.50x16 front and 7.00 or 7.50 x 16 rears on wires in the future.

That's about it so far....another very simple hot rod going together. We'll try and show you how we like to do it with weekly installments.
    20201107_201117.jpg 20201110_210432.jpg 20201110_210435.jpg 20201113_152027.jpg 20201113_171149.jpg 20201113_171402.jpg

hfh, Stogy, warbird1 and 19 others like this.
  2. adam401

adam401

Oooh thats a nice car to start with. Love the plan. I myself would have a hard time putting the fenders back on but I do love an early full fendered hot rod. Good luck

3. catdad49

catdad49

Please continue!

4. RyanAK

RyanAK

Oh man! Subscribed and watching!

Stogy, loudbang and Hitchhiker like this.

5. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Cool! I'll be watching.. I have a Riley 4 Port , Model B Motor, 32 Model B trans with v8 gears and a Halibrand 101quick change on the back burner for my roadster.

Stogy, kidcampbell71, poshdbs and 4 others like this.
  6. poshdbs

poshdbs

Interesting..... I'm looking forward to more!

Stogy, loudbang and Hitchhiker like this.
  7. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

8. All right. I've been held up with a few things, mainly a 72 chevelle that is a curse of my life amd story not suitable for consumption here...or anywhere really...

And really what has kept me from going forward is this. 20201130_125714.jpg

That is where the rear exhaust boss wants to be. So we have a slight problem....now if it was "back in the day" I would break out my Ford tool #1 and do a little massage work and poof!...just like the 40's, bro! Nice custom firewall dimple from your favorite BFH.. unfortunately for hacks like me that is a rather unacceptable form of modification, so I put on my thinking cap and started thinking...a lot....days turned into weeks...

Here's what I'm thinking...
    Reverse the firewall. This was my first thought, and honestly I do and don't like it. I think it looks good, but I also think its a more modern modification better used in a 60's style car, and ultimately i decide it was kinda a NEO-traditional modification, if you will. I'm not saying it's wrong, just that I haven't seen a ton of cars in legit vintage pictures with it done. Also I'm lazy and it seemed like a lot of work....The real deal killer in the end, was learning that it won't fit with a stock tank...

Alright my next thought is cut the firewall or even a flat firewall. It would certainly work. Both very traditional. But I ultimately hate to cut firewalls and typical "square" or whatever recesses are put in are really more room than I need... Again.. I'm not saying it its wrong just not for this build.

I keep coming back to a dimple or a bubble in the firewall . Maybe something that bolts on and gives easy access for repairs. Maybe flatten the current area?

Jury is still out on this.

So I painted the rear spring and started removing the remnants of the heater on the firewall. There is a rather larger hole next to where I need to clearance. Here is a further out picture to show 20201208_190751.jpg

If you're familiar with a stock 30-31 firewall you can see why I am wondering the best thing to do here. Welcome to suggestions. Thanks

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  9. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Since you have a hole right there that needs to be repair anyway, I think I would just make the center recess a little wider too. It would be a little extra work but, make a cut up along the corner of the recess and move it out enough to clear your exhaust.

10. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Cool project but have you thought of a hand built header or changing the angle of the exhaust manifold or can you use the A

11. This is something I have given some thought too. And may be what happens. Thanks

It will be getting a header. the problem is there isn't enough room for anything, not even a bolt or stud, without coming into contact with the firewall. The firewall has to move.

12. Think like a guy building it in the '30s/40's before the Internet told us what was acceptable and clearance that SOB! ;) Nice looking project!

*edit* Not knowing exactly what needs to happen or how much it needs to move I'd be tempted to make a little hammer form for that area or cut it out and use part of a headlight bucket or something for a "dish" of sorts?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  13. Sometimes when you have to massage a panel, it's better to 'feature' it instead of attempting to have it blend in. Hammer out a patch, make it square corner, round corner, oval, whatever strikes your fancy, and stick it on with a 3/4" overlap and rivets or button head screws all around. Then paint it black like it's been there for years.

14. Get out of my head!!!

Stogy, loudbang and cactus1 like this.
  15. v8flat44

v8flat44

Where is that can of Bondo.......i know....couldn't restist it's gonna be neat no matter what happens with that panel
    Four cylinders in a row
    Look out V8s she'll really go !

16. v8flat44

v8flat44

This song might just fit the car

17. Oh man....

So sit down and let me tell you a tale. A few years ago I bought a lot of car parts. 2 semi trucks full. Needless to say, that is a lot of parts and hard to store...

So in November of 2019 I signed a 1 year lease on a residential shop of about 2200 sqft. This was great but crowded. And technically not legal to run a business out of . Things went well over this year despite covid and a break in our last month(still haven't recovered from some of the tools stolen) but other than that it was great!

made it to the end of the lease and the home owner didn't want to resign as they wanted to sell the property. No problem. I found a commercial shop about the same size(technically smaller, but with high ceilings and loft space that makes it feel like more room. Moved in there, it's great,, even has some outside parking... the thing is, I've been looking for property. Something 5-10 acres. House. Shop. Etc... well we put in an offer and it was accepted! Unfortunately we had just gotten set up here and now I am packing up again....so not much is getting done on this yet. I've done a fair amount, but it's all incomplete and fragmented work.

Anyways. Long story even longer, we close on March 2nd. I've got 11 cars to move, at least a couple semi loads of parts and a shit ton of tools.

New shop is 3200 sqft. 1 house with mother in law, and a cabin on 5 acres. I've basically got all the room I need to make some shit happen... I'm hoping to complete the move in 1 month. It's about an hour each way from my current shop. Looking forward to getting out of the city and all the space.

catdad49, Stogy, hfh and 6 others like this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could carry the flat area from the center out far enough you could make a correct looking transition to the face of the firewall. Looking at the indented late 31 Firewall the right leg of the stamped bead is shorter than the ones on the early firewalls so a guy could shorten that up and not have it look out of place too. my 31 firewall_LI.jpg indented 31 firewall.jpg

19. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Congrats on the new property, I can see this could end up being 5 acres of vintage stuff, it’ll be a local landmark.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^Let the empire-building commence!

21. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Okay its official........I don’t like you now, lets see the cabin!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Stogy, loudbang and 31Apickup like this.
  22. Very nice Matt! Where?

23. When I was a kid I wanted to play with Legos for a living...this is the next best thing.

I'm getting a lot of that garage envy from my buddies. No pictures of the cabin yet. It needs some love. But save-able

Thanks! It's up in Skagit Valley.

Stogy, warbird1, ClarkH and 2 others like this.
  24. How far Up River?;)

loudbang likes this.
  25. We're right outside of Edison on Colony mountain. Technically Bow.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Well, that ain't Up River at all!
    I worked in that area for a few years; it's a nice area you are moving to; with a few interesting cars around.

loudbang likes this.
  27. Roadster is in place and the shop is just about set up, commencing build immediately. Please stand by...
    20210501_135716.jpg

warbird1, mvee33, Hotrodmyk and 6 others like this.