Register now to get rid of these ads!

History HURST - HISTORY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D. GLOVER, Apr 19, 2020.

1. GeneBob

GeneBob

Another "behind the scenes" story: Ron Watson was responsible for the new "puck" style clutch disc design. When it was time to test the prototype, I helped him install it into his Chevy van; Hurst had their own mechanic's garage set up. Once installed, he and I got into his van and he rode the clutch as we climbed up and coasted down the incline in the driveway along the side of the building. After a few trips up and down, there was a loud thump and abrupt jerking of the van. Ron turned to me and said, "Well let's go see what broke". BTW, Ron had a scatter shield type bellhousing in his van; pretty funny.
    Hurst tested their products to failure to see where the weak points were. What a fun place to work!

2. Really enjoying this thread…

1Nimrod and loudbang like this.
  3. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Here's my favorite Hurst. I put them in every old car I get.. The Hurst Autostick I. Best automatic shifter I ever had... Bonneville interior hurst.jpg Interior Red shifter ball..JPG

1Nimrod, chryslerfan55, enloe and 5 others like this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

LOL you don't recognize Moriarity's Museum/Living room :rolleyes:

5. Speedblur101

Speedblur101

One thing I will always be grateful for, Miss Hurst Shifter! (Linda Vaughn)

chryslerfan55, enloe and loudbang like this.
  6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ok I found a youtube video on how the dual pattern shifters work. It does look like I have to remove the guard on the bottom of the shifter

7. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These are a must, if your racing with your Comp Plus : 483A3B4F-66B2-4846-86F4-18A92CB4B683.jpeg

8. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

All of us motor heads or car guys , like pics rather than stories. I have still a lot of info to share, about Hurst, shifters, and other info. I will try to be accurate as possible, so we don't go in the wrong direction. So first Mr.
    Moriarity question, about the dual pattern question. The sheet metal part under the S/L shifter is called a dust
    shield, or dust cover. it keeps more than dust out, as you know we use the moly grease on the levers, and wave
    plates. So, I who worked there, never changed any of my three S/L shifters to the other pattern. I raced one of
    my early chevelles with the S/L, I did not remove the roll pin in the selector pin. It did not seam to have any difference in the 2-3 shift when racing, or power shifting. So I left it the way it was manufactured. During my
    many years at Hurst, the dual pattern roll pin was very rarity mentioned. Also, while on the subject I just
    found a photo of the S/L, on a 4 speed that I took with Bill Jenkins under car. Will post later.

9. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

Bowie-
    The steel bushing sets are a must, for serious racing, etc. Also, we used to add a thin flat washer under the spring
    clip side, this would tighten up any looseness in the rod to lever assy. Plenty of lube.

10. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

Yes, when we designed the Auto stick we wanted it to resemble the manual floor shifter as much as possible.
    I created the drawing for the first unit, and installed on some company cars, Pontiac Wagon, and a H/O car.
    The first Auto stick was cable operated. By the way is that a Super boot on one of your cars.

11. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Yes that is a Super Boot. It came with that shifter. On the older 64 Bonneville car, that shifter the handle was removable by taking two bolts off. That shifter went with the car when I sold it..
    The second car 69 el Camino, that Autostick I has the handle welded. In order to change handles I have to take the shifter apart. I'm thinking the 69 car has an older set up..

I use a shifter porch for a stick shift car. The GM A body porch seems to fit the floors on most cars after a little hammer and dolly work..

I'm starting to save parts for these shifters. I really like the way these shifters make an automatic car feel.. The vibrating handle at idle reminds me of a four speed. I might do a fully manual Turbo 400, with the Autostick it would be a blast to drive..

Why did they stop making them? All the other automatic shifters out there seem like cheap plastic toys compared to this heavy duty shifter..
    There are a couple on e-Bay right now but the sellers know what they have and its reflected in the price, that said, there still well worth what they are asking.

This shifter really changes the way a car feels, it gives it the cool stick shift feel without all the clutch issues.. Then having it on a Turbo 400 just makes it that much better...

D. Glover, thanks for designing such a wonderful shifter, it makes driving these old cars that much better.. It like the old Hurst ad used to say, nothing like looking inside that car your buying and seeing a Hurst Shifter all ready in there..

Attached Files:

12. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

1Nimrod, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  13. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

I do not know why they may have stop making the unit, as you know the co. went a few ownerships.
    And of course the need, and $ always is a factor. Enclosed one of my early 1969 dwgs.
    AUTO STICK DWG 1969.jpg

14. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

My dad goldy in the early days took a 3 speed hurst shifter and put it on a 4 speed. He used reverse position for 1st gear then mounted a second shifter next to it for reverse just have to make sure it is in n when shifting the reverse shifter. I always thought that car was fun to drive it practicality shifts its self into 2nd. Still have it in our model a. Just wanted to share some Hurst history

Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. GeneBob

GeneBob

Hey Don, that is just one of the beautiful drawings that were drafted at Hurst. That was long before computer aided drafting took away the personality of a well drafted drawing.
    Piece of history: Ron Watson told me those spring clips for the shifters were "Jesus clips" because every time you try to put them on you yell - Jesus!

16. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

17. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

Can anyone here date a shifter ball - white with a black insert, with the shift pattern inside it. It's mounted on a LONG-stick Comp. Plus!

What a great, GREAT thread, about one of the most respected names in our hobby... let's keep adding to it!

18. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

Enclosed my photo I took of 4 spd trans, with S / L shifter. Yes, Bill Jenkins under car, this was at an NHRA event I attended years ago. Between my race schedule, and Hurst went to many events across U.S.
    S L W JENKINS (2).jpeg

19. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

Couple of old Hurst items.
    air shock (2).jpeg
    Image (4).jpg

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

It's those cheesy things they started putting on the later shifters so us old school guys would buy their old style $30 replacements, the last two new comp plus shifters I bought had them.
    Yuck!
    upload_2021-2-28_11-43-9.png

21. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

Yes, Hurst made this style shift knob in 1983. It was called "Universal Shift Knob", it was designed to have
    many different inserts for the shift patterns. There was a pop out lens, the pattern was under the lens,
    The knob was available in white, or black. It had a thread adapter.
    Aso, they did make a white knob, w/ 3/8" thds. That looked like the photo.
    I do not know whether or not this style came with a new shifter assy.

22. GreMac

GreMac
    from Colorado

Lots of great history here.

1Nimrod and loudbang like this.
  23. GSamson

GSamson

What a great history lesson this thread is!
    I have this 6 foot Hurst banner, wondering if any of you history buffs can date it approximately by the Hurst items shown on it? I was thinking mid-70's? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

24. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

In reference to Hurst cuff links; I believe they were produced around 67-68. How many I do not
    know. I purchased the set shown earlier in this thread, while I worked at Hurst. I sold them in 2019.
    So the ones pictured are the real deal. Later Jack Watson, had a short supply made in a gold style,
    they were not for sale to public. rare item.
    LINKS.JPG I am sure someone has made knock off 's. I would
    estimate an orig silver set to be worth $350. - $500. if you can find this collectible. When I sold
    my set there were two more people that wanted the set I sold.

25. GSamson

GSamson

Anyone? Still looking for some responses on my question regarding the approximate age of my banner!

1Nimrod likes this.
  26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

according to this new product release, the T handles were available drilled with 3 different angles. I had never heard of this before....

hurst99.jpg

27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

according to @D. GLOVER post a few up, the air shock ad was dated 1974, so I would say your estimate of mid 70's is right on.....

1Nimrod, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  28. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mark, I chased that “angle” offering for quite a few years. Never did find any alternative angled ones. Ended up with quite a few, all the same angle.

1Nimrod, chryslerfan55, egads and 2 others like this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Who are you and what did you do with Mark?

30. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

The "HURST BANNER", dated about late 1972. The Hurst shocks were created in 1970, the air shocks came out around 1972, as well as the traction bars. Another note about the race event banners, we would start to install the
    banners wired to the track side of the fence, day of race, at the finish line. We used a golf cart, and by the time we got to the start line. the first ones up would disappear.

Elcohaulic, 1Nimrod, Muttley and 7 others like this.