Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Will I be injured in a crash if I do this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deere boy, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Deere boy

Deere boy

Is it okay to run a master cylinder not quite level. Talking about having the outlet end maybe 3/4 of an inch higher than the plunger end? Reservoir will be remote with a hose to the cylinder so it can be mounted level.[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. I have no way of knowing of you will be hurt in a crash or not. As far as tilting your master a little bit Wilwood should be able to answer that.

Budget36, wraymen and nunattax like this.
  3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I've seen modern cars with the MC at a slight angle of approx. 15 degrees. So I don't think it matters.

Pat

56don likes this.
  4. I have seen a lot firewall master slightly at and angle. In your case maybe you can fab up a push rod with a bit of a Z in it?
    Def ask the manufacturer

who’s to say if will you be injured in a crash? A lot of things need to happen or break. Or just another crappy driver.

5. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Why not make a wedge to make it level?

6. Deere boy

Deere boy

It's a clearance issue. Hard to explain.

7. Is remote reservoir going to be level or close?

8. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

If I recall correctly the late mustang is not level, I was looking at the master for the Fairlane ended up with a 67 Corvette.

9. If you run the remote reservoir a few degrees won't hurt. In fact, the air will go to the high end right where the bleeder is. No sweat.

egads, chryslerfan55 and harpo1313 like this.
  10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It can be mounted vertically if it is bled first.

Regarding you being injured in a crash? You'll have to crash first, then you'll know.

egads, Deuces, Budget36 and 2 others like this.
  11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

A lot of OEM have unlevel master cylinders. I never liked that, as I was accustom to the cylinder being level. If OEM does it , it should be good.

Bones

12. rusty valley

rusty valley

i always thought they are not supposed to be level, but with the outlet higher to bleed the air out

13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Not unless you forget to fill it.

Look at motorcycles.

[​IMG]

getow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. millersgarage

millersgarage

no way they are level in a nose hi gasser, or a 70's jacked up car.

The amount of fluid in the reservoir will be different, but the pumping power remains the same.

Hnstray likes this.
  15. Don't crash!

egads and Deuces like this.
  16. patterg2003

patterg2003

17. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I've driven up some pretty steep hills and my brakes never quit working.

egads, irishsteve, TagMan and 5 others like this.
  18. Reidy

Reidy

I am not sure what car you are mounting it to. The master cylinder may sit more level than the picture shows due to the rake of the car.

19. GM used to have the master on pickups mounted at a crazy angle. No problem

egads and Deuces like this.
  20. Before designing a brake system I would suggest learning how the various components work. That will answer all the questions without having to believe random strangers

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cut the end off it leveling the image but this is the angle that the mc on the Cad DTS that I used to have would have with the cap on the reservoir level.

It doesn't matter much if any on the angle of the piston as long as the reservoir is able to hold enough fluid.

Attached Files:

22. Dominick Hide

Dominick Hide

In order for the piston to move freely through the cylinder bore pressure has to be applied to the center of the piston evenly throughout the pedal travel. Whether the amount of tilt you need in order to solve your clearance problem is enough to change that geometry I don't know. If for example the angle was drastic, say 45 degrees, then you could easily see that as well as pushing forward, the rod would be effectively pushing the piston downward. This would cause the lip on the bottom of the piston cup to collapse a little and maybe lose enough pressure at the top to not effectively compress the fluid. At minimum the added friction would make for a less smooth brake action. Relocating the pushrod to pedal attaching point would be the remedy were that the case.

23. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I see 5/8 on the side of the master, is that the bore size? If it is that’s really small.

24. Yep - GM did it for years on trucks and cars - think about 1973 was the first in like Nova's and such....

25. gene-koning

gene-koning

There is not supposed to be any air in the brake system, the hydraulics won't care what angle they work on, as long as the fluid reservoir maintains enough fluid to keep the ports of the master supplied with fluid.

As far as being injured in a crash, I'm not privileged to know that information, and if I was, I probably wouldn't have permission to tell you.
    Would you really want to know ahead of time anyway? Gene

egads likes this.