Register now to get rid of these ads!

460 in a 53? got questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

hey guys,

i know its on here somewere im sure, but after half an hour or searching i didnt come up with anything. so here goes.

whats it going to take to shove a 460 bbf in my 53 ford customline? im guessing a rear sump pan and some creative headers?

i know feders got a bbf in his merc that would be about the same chassi id asume seeing as the 52-4 fords are preety much the same as a 49-51 ford and thats gota be clsoe to merc right?

whos got some info?tips? pix?

tim

2. ray

ray
    from colorado

i know i'm gonna sound like your father here, but i'd suggest you just say no. go with a smallblock of some sort. i know you're a poor art college student, who needs affordable and reliable transportation, which a 460 ain't gonna be. save the big block ideas for when you have a decent old driver and are looking for a weekend car that will melt the hides off.

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

yeah im going to agree with you ray. its a fun thought to flirt with but its not realy anything more then a pipe dream. im preety dead set on a sbc

4. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

Well, one last comment on that sbc. Anything but. Why not a 302 or even a 351 would be cool looking and best of all Ford. The 460's are fantastic motors, I have had more than a few and they will run the legs off just about anything else. But! looking at 6-7 mpg. Anyway if you do go with a sbc I won't hate you for it but it is disappointing that people are still doing that. Jesus, how many 350's do we have to look at?

31acoupe:mad:

5. johnnyford

johnnyford
    from FLORIDUH

Shitcan the 460 idea. 460's leak and are less powerfull than 390's. 390's are WAY better of a mil. They are cheaper and have way better a selection of semi affordable speed parts.

I haven't dropped a 390 in a 53 but I did drop a 351 Cleveland in one, which is just as boat anchory(new word-hah!). I burned rubber all over Frisco with that car(check out the avatar).

You can make big HP with a small block too but please, please, please stay away from a SBC. Just about everybody makes a SBF kit into a 53 and it just sounds better saying your shoebox Ford has a Ford mil in it.

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

dont worry about it, i dont even plan on showing anyone under the hood, im more focused on showing them my favorite part of the car.

7. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

showing HER your favorite part of the car? your other drivers seat??? haha.

I have all your stuff when ya gonna come pick it up...
    Wilcap sells an adapter that will adapt a sbc right to the stock trans for around $200 bucks.

they dont have one for a ford small block...

Tuck

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

lol nice.

im preety sure 255-320 hp is going to shell that 3 speed preety quick tuck, lol

oh and the favorite part of my car is the tail lights ;)

9. johnnyford

johnnyford
    from FLORIDUH

10. Fordman75

Fordman75

Wow a sbc! Now that's original!! I just don't see why people do that. There are so many good Ford powerplants. Hell I'd take a 2.3L over a sbc!!:D

I'm going 460 in my 50.

11. old beet

old beet

My 460 in the 49 Merc gets the same mileage as K-MEMBERS Falcon with a 302. As takin many road trips together, this is the truth!!! I think the 302 works a little to push the Falcon, but the 460 don't care, it don't work. If it will fit in the Merc, should do all rite in the Ford. I did kick the upper firewall in,
    a bit, front sump and stock manifolds. Stock 73 engine, but can manage 15.50 in 1/4 mile ???? But at 97 MPH.....Slow in the hole {not thats anything wrong with that}........Do the 460!!.....OLDBEET

12. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Fordman, I had a 428 FE in my 49 at one time... a flathead before that... and now I'm dropping in a early Caddy... I don't care one way or the other-

I don't have anything against any motor that makes sense. I've long dropped my one brand loyalty and LOVE THEM ALL...

I think for TIM, the most economical way to get a V8 in his car would be the wisest... and TIM- I think if you drive your car normal you wouldn't shell the transmission... I harder than hell on mine.

Fact is- if Tim flips it he'll have an easier time selling it with a sbc...
    its cheaper to build a sbc than a ford, I know... I just finished my 289 and I had some donated parts and it was still a few bills more than a Chev woulda been hands down.

I'm partial to ford but I just don't see the sense in discrimination... especially against one of the most traditional v8's on earth besides the one hes thinking about yanking out of that car...

btw, I need to get down your way soon to pick up my trans, I'm heading down to the citys WED night- maybe I can swing in-

Tuck

13. Fordman75

Fordman75

Yes I'm brand loyal.

I just don't buy the cheaper or easier excuses anymore. With all the 5.0L Stangs the price has dropped dramatically on the SBF parts.

And to me a 350 is no more traditional then a SBF or 460 is. Now a 265, 283 or 327 sure but a 350 is just as new as a SBF V8 is.

You can pick up a good running 302 for $300 or less. And you can get engine cores for rebulding for just about nothing.

But it's not my car or money so it's not my choice.

Wed. night is fine with me. Just shoot me a PM and we can get it arranged.

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

ive actualy been thinking 283 or at least having the motor dressed to look like it. how many ppl are you going to come across that are going to sneak a peak under the headers and and inbetween the innner fenders and go "hey thats not a front mount block!" and quite frankly i dont care.

why do i want to go sbc? its not because of price or parts availibility. its because when i shut my eyes and picture the car finished thats whats under the hood. simple as that. the 460 hasnt ever realy been a real consideration but it did spark my attention enough to hear how it has been done.

i was aiming to creat a discusion of technique and building, not the millionth bitch fest over small blocks.

if all youve got to say is sbc's suck and have nothing to add to a discussion about how to put a 460 into one of these cars then just shut the fuck up already. if i wanted to read about what you think about sbc's id read one of the other thousand posts ruined by people starting stupid shit about it in yet another potentialy good post gone drama.

15. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

heres another thought...

early 260's and 289's share the same bolt pattern as those flathead trannys... with a six bolt bell you could bolt it directly to the stock trans and just make mounts.

I think it would be cool to run a 260 in a shoebox-
    I know where you can get one of these too-

Tuck

16. desertdroog

desertdroog

Drop a 351W in it. Stroke it later when you have the cash. Don't look back.

If you are dead set on going with a 460, this page has the mounts for that conversion.
    http://ndgearheadscruiserproducts.com/id26.htm

I used the above company to get the 351W mounts for my 54 Ford.

17. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Tim I pulled the 429 I have out of a a 53 ford and its fits exactly the same as it fits in my 56 merc. You will have to go to rear sump and the stock headers will fit the only place you get real close to is your steering box. Just a corner of it you'll be ok...Lucky

18. 61 Fairlane

61 Fairlane

How can I put this nicely...I cant. That statment obviously shows your lack of knowledge regarding 385 series engines. "460s leak", give me a break, what exactly do you base that statement on! "less powerful than a 390" Come on, where do you get your information! FYI, a STOCK 460 2 bolt bottom end can handle 600 hp, dont believe me, come over to my house and take a look at my 460/535 hp (dyno sheet can be provided) that sees occasional drag strip use, drives all over the country and has 25,000 plus miles on it.
    "390s are WAY better of a mill. They are cheaper and have way better selection of semi affordable speed parts" That statement at least is debateable. I suggest you check out 460.com or fordfe.com, and just incase your wondering, my 61 Fairlane has a 390 Police Interceptor, which makes way less power then my 460. Oh, buy the way neither of the engines leak any fluids.