Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stock A wheelbase 32 frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barbarian, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

So I have an A chassis engineering frame, stock wheelbase. Bought it as a roller off a guy who had it sitting since late 90s. Started disassembly and fixing a lot of what was done wrong and very happy with the overall stoutness and quality.

However, was talking with a buddy he has a set of ASC 32 rails sitting around that he hasn’t used and would sell them to me cheap. I like the idea of a stock wheelbase length A as I plan to run a hood and don’t like when the hood is stretched. So here comes the crazy idea..what if we took the 32 rails, trimmed and welded basically the entire section that falls under the body to my current ce frame. I’d have to clean up the transition on the front and the rear to make it look seamless. some negatives we could think of...if it’s not done right it’ll be crap, the frame rail would be 2x as wide but would be hidden under the body anyway, and extra weight. Current frame is powder coated but it’s crappy and will be stripped to paint anyways.

Upon some searching on here, seems some have done this already but can’t find pictures. Also found several guys running 32 frames shortened to A wheelbase. So it doesn’t sound as far fetched as I originally thought.

I’m sure some or many will say, ‘just build a 32 frame’, but I won’t scrap this all to start fresh and spend a ton of more money. Just a wild idea, looking for thoughts on how feasible this is.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Just build a 32 frame. Or don't. Pretty simple unless you make it hard.

3. Im guessing its a fenderless car.Since a 32 is about 3 inches longer than the A you could reposition the front,and rear cross members in the frame,and get it back to A length.I wouldnt cut,and section the front rails.Just leave them stock so you get the 32 flowing look which is why guys use the 32 frame.If you use the A rear cross member you can remove the rear frame horns to make it look short. Lots of A bones have been built on 32 rails so its all been done before.

4. You'll want that 3" of length in the engine compartment. Otherwise you may have to butcher the firewall for engine clearance, which sacrifices leg room.

See why it's a bad idea?o_O

akoutlaw and low down A like this.

5. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

I’m short at 5’6” so I’m planning a heavy chop and leg room ain’t a problem ha

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It seems a whole lot simpler to move the front crossmember back the needed distance to correct the hood fit or build tabs for the radiator to sit on that are the right distance back from the axle center line.

That would involve the idea of just exactly where the radiator shell has to sit in side view to be in that "right spot" in relationship to the front wheel and tire. That might take looking at a bunch of side shots of the year model of Model A body on deuce rails you have to find the ones that have that look you are after.

31Apickup likes this.
  7. goldmountain

goldmountain

You are saying the frame will be hidden under the body anyway. If that's the case, why are you even thinking of this?

Hnstray likes this.
  8. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

the frame won’t be hidden, body is not getting channeled

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It will be when you want to sell it......and that day will come.

10. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's exactly what I did on my old Sedan Deliv. It started out as a '31 Slantwindow Fordor which I '32ized. I built it on a boxed Model A frame and later added ASC Deuce rails which I grafted in just ahead of the cowl. It basically had 2 frames under it.

Pre-Deuce rails
    32mc.jpg

After
    32c.jpg

AVater likes this.
  11. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

That looks great, I knew I read some on here had done this . Do you have more pics of the conversion in progress? Maybe how the frame without body looks? build thread?

12. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The whole process was done with the body on the frame.
    Cut the deuce rails about 4 inches ahead of the cowl, welded and blended into the Model A frame. Bolted the frame to the floor of the body to hold it in place and welded 4 outriggers on each side from the A frame to the Deuce rails. Also had to trim wheel wells to match the '32 frame. Did the whole thing in a weekend, but you will need to do it on a lift. 32a.jpg 32d.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    rusty valley and Budget36 like this.
  13. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I built my A frame.stock length. My brother has an A on a 32 chassis. If I had it to do again I would just do the 32 chassis. The extra room is needed. Also a 32 hood can be made to fit on the A. I have one on mine that I shortened. Got a deal on a 1 piece top that I wanted so I used it. Worked fine with the A cowl and 32 grill shell.

Just Gary likes this.
  14. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Any idea how much of a gap you had to fill between the A frame and the 32 frame? Also how much of a body overhang do you have in the pictures? Thanks

15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did it the hard way...trying to fit them on a finished car. You should have it much easier with a bare frame. I would just take your Model A frame and add the Deuce rails using the '32 specs. Should be quite easy, and you will end up with an extremely strong (double) frame. 32-chassis.jpg

16. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Got your plan for a title?

17. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

yes, done and in my name.

H380 likes this.