Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I get famous again! Well, my car does anyway...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Feb 16, 2021.

1. cfmvw

cfmvw

loudbang likes this.
  2. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Although your vehicle is not my type, to much passion pit for me but when you pay a shop to do work, you are paying for their skills and equipment use, then their work belongs to you, you paid for it after all. I think that it was wrong for a shop to do that, unless they asked for your permission first.

loudbang and hotrodjack33 like this.
  3. brady1929

brady1929

Congratulations.

VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But weren’t you and your car in HRM right after you finished it? Guess there’s nobody left from those years. I remember being quite impressed with your work.

VANDENPLAS, loudbang and Tman like this.
  5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Jesus Suffer'n F*&K. LOL, I left money on the table, didn't I?:rolleyes:

hotrodjack33, VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

How long a section would you like? I'll have to get another full 02 tank...

hotrodjack33 and loudbang like this.
  7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Frieberger is busy doing stupid stuff for the brain-dead "Roadkill" fans. It's a different crowd.

8. So just because I’m a sucker for punishment, if all they used was the body, didn’t they build the new version then? I also will never understand trashing people because they like different styles than me. I like the new version more, looks like a nice car.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. squirrel

squirrel

VANDENPLAS, BrerHair and 57 Fargo like this.
  10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I didn’t “trash” the build, so let’s get that straight. In fact, I said since it was such an extensive re-build, I guest is their build. I MAY have inferred whoever had it done wasn’t thinking clearly though...

11. 5window

5window

I think you were honest and fair, though to be honest and fair, I don't like the new version at all. I hope someone with big pockets does.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    VANDENPLAS and hotrodjack33 like this.
  12. Sorry Brian that was a general statement not directed at you personally. You did say they were taking credit for it... there is a tendency around here for the mob to jump on something that isn’t their style, kinda like the roadkill fans being brain dead....

Really none of it matters you built a cool car and in my opinion it’s still a nice car

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    VANDENPLAS and flynbrian48 like this.
  13. That idiot bugs me. Gotta listen to him at the drivers meeting every year at Speedweek. The new version of your car sucks. And they are on crack with a 130K price tag

14. So? He owes it to the readers to research his stories. Look at Joey Ukrop here and in TRJ. Started as a teen and has grown in his writing and passion for research.

15. belair

belair

Money can't buy taste, cool or character.

16. squirrel

squirrel

It's almost like the world is changing, right before our eyes.

Sent from my Trimline

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

@flynbrian48
    Sometimes these things bother me enough to send the guilty party an email :D
    I’ve probably got too much time on my hands so maybe it’s to fight cabin fever :D

I got a reply back from Brandon:

Good morning,

Thank you for sending this very nice email informing us about the misunderstanding surrounding the 1936 Humpback Roadster. I have included a few pictures of the work we did on the car that includes re engineering the chassis and suspension, completely changing the front sheet metal and grille, swapping drive trains since the car would never run cool with the radiator in the back and rebuilding the interior. We also fabricated replacement doors, quarter panels, rockers and tail pan to replace the rusty, dented and damaged originals that were part of the initial build.

He also asked:
    Also, can you resend a working link to the build thread on the HAMB? We would love to fairly state our case in the court of public opinion.

He then sent me a bunch of pictures of the work they did to the car and then a link to the for sale listing in case I wanted to buy it.

Never once did he acknowledge that they hadn’t in fact “ built “ the car. :D

VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  18. Sounds like a prick

hotrodjack33 and loudbang like this.
  19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

@Blue One, if the "builder" wants to air things out in the "court of public opinion" (Doesn't he know there's a "search" function here?), I'll be the first guy to present evidence that, current build cost not withstanding, it was a MUCH better $7500 car than it is a $131,000 car. It certainly had limitations, (idling in traffic if the ambient temps were over 90 being the main one), the chassis was sketchy, although I got used to it once I discovered that keeping my right foot planted, and watching where I was going over the passenger door, rather than trying to keep the forward view through the windshield, and trying to keep it between opposite ditches by steering...

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

He comes off as one of the snooty type of people who build really perfect and expensive cars for snooty and really rich people.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that mind you :D

At least he could admit that he started with an already built car and didn’t start with a blank canvas.

You have the distinction of being the one who created it and then they “ improved? ” it.
    $131,000 is nuts.

21. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

On a side note, the biggest issue I have with the new build is the engine. I love me an LS motor(have one in my DD) but in a rod like this it should have been down played. For 130 grand they should have fabbed a custom cover for the engine or at the very least went with some fake old school valve covers. Something to cover the coil packs. Okay, I'm done.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

I want to see those wire wheels after the required TV BURNOUT with that LS power.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

23. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brian your sense of humor and self deprecation is refreshing! What a jerkoff, court of public opinion, please. The HAMB knows!

loudbang, Blue One and Tman like this.
  24. adam401

adam401

Its almost like if you stood out in the alley behind their shop long enough you could have retrieved the while body, drivetrain, chassis, body and interior fron the original car before it went into the dumpster. Then youve got the original car back for free! In kit form.
    The original car is a real hot rod.
    The way I look at it is sometimes people think they want a hard core hot rod. They wanna talk the talk so they buy a hot rod but its TOO raw for them. What they really want is a street rod.

Also I'm just gonna say it. Dimple die interior panels and fabricator rods are the new billet and street rods. There.

25. Buwhahahahahahahah!

loudbang, Blue One and adam401 like this.
  26. chucka

chucka

Jim Forbes (aka Squirrel) wrote earlier today " It's almost like the world is changing, right before our eyes." HA HA! LOL! I'm sure he sprained his tongue sticking it in his cheek - - - and the world has changed since his post this morning! One reason, there's an unprecedented number of very big checkbooks out there, without any real experience to back them up. JMO

loudbang likes this.
  27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well to me they completely removed the soul from the car.
    They took it from a really cool hot rod that yes, did have some drivability issues and could use a bit of refinement here and there to just another high dollar street rod that is reaching a bit to grasp some of the momentary street rod have to have fad items.

I don't fault the new chassis but I would have kept the outward appearance pretty much the way it was with upgraded body and paint work. It really needs the fenders that were on it and it needs color on it rather than black.

loudbang, jvo, Blue One and 1 other person like this.
  28. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Agreed, on all counts. The fenders worked (visually, at least). Without a top, it looks like a giant bathtub. It's like 4WD height, the fenders were just an inch lower than the hood top before. There's no accounting for taste, they say...

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  29. The37Kid

The37Kid

SOUL, and STANCE, once removed you have nothing.

Bob

30. This saddens me greatly. Brian - I found your car inspiring and have several pictures of it saved on my computer in a folder somewhere. Apparently, I haven't been on here enough to realize it was for sale, or even sold.... which saddens me again because I would have loved to have it in the garage as it was (even knowing I would have to fix some stuff that you have pointed out).

I'll also admit that I don't hate the car that it is now..... but I don't exactly love it either. That's OK in my book - it takes all kinds of people to make the world go around and if everyone wanted the exact same thing it would be boring as hell. It would have been nice for you to get some credit - but perhaps they thought they were doing you a favor by not mentioning you since they basically said they scrapped almost all of it and started over. I'm not trying to defend anyone, but I could see how someone might think that.