Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shop Safety Equipment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51504bat, Feb 12, 2021.

1. old chevy

old chevy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6 fire extinguishers scattered around shop, 2 first aid kits, face shields for grinding, guards on power tools, leather gloves to limit cuts and misc. If you can't tell, I have to many years working in MSHA mines and OSHA sites, so it can't be helped. Still have blue shop towels and plenty electric tape for leaks when I get careless.

51504bat likes this.
  2. ElSolo

ElSolo

Couple fire extinguishers ,welding blankets,assortment of safety glasses,first aid kits,Fireproof can for rags,ear plugs and ear muffs (already have enough hearing loss from working in the Trades),Fireproof cabinet for all chems and what not flammables. Lots PPE for welding and fabrication, I guess working in construction and all safety training for last 40 years has made me plan for Safety my “Shop “always been my galrage attached to my house and most always work alone so I try and be extra cautious.

51504bat likes this.
  3. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Fire extinguisher, welding coat, safety glasses, face shield, ear muffs, dust masks, sink with spray faucet but mostly I just use masking tape and napkins from the donut place.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

51504bat likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a fire extinguisher mounted to my mig welding cart simply so I always know where it is. I've got a couple more too but usually if a fire gets started the mig cart isn't going to be far away.

When I was teaching auto mechanics we didn't have a proper eye wash station in the shop but I had told my students if someone gets gas or nother chemical in their eyes don't wait to ask me what to do, get them to the sink or to the water hose and flush their eyes out. Then we would call the school nurse and send them to her for further help. They did just that on a couple of occasions and had the person's eye flushed out pretty well before they got my attention.
    I wear a full face shield anytime I am cutting or grinding on anything. I don't have to have the camera show my face like the guy on tv.

I do need a welding apron or jacket though.

This bottom third of a food grade 55 gallon plastic barrel has been my dog's water tub though 7 dogs over the years plus a lot of cats. It also has worked great to stick a burning pants cuff in more than once and used to sit right outside the door of my little building I used for a shop with the doghouse beside the building.
    [​IMG]

51504bat likes this.
  5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Fire extinguishers and lots of PPE-loads of gloves, safety glasses, face shield, ear plugs, kneeling pads (old boogie boards) to save my knees. Couple of eye wash bottles on hand. Top tool chest drawer has bandages, disinfectant, tape, which gets me right back to work. Welding jacket and gloves.
    When I was young I worked in commercial aircraft assembly and firefighting. Later a machine shop and the last 30 years, overhead utility work. All tough on the body and potentially dangerous if you're not alert and using your PPE. I've seen a lot of bad industrial injuries. You stand a much better chance of completing a task w/o injury yourself by using your PPE and proper technique.

TrailerTrashToo and 51504bat like this.
  6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Learned the boogie board trick from and old cement guy. I've got a couple in the lower shop and one in the upstairs garage. My knees would be toast by now without them.

Hot Rods Ta Hell likes this.
  7. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When we were just finishing up with the tear down and reconstruction of our backyard garage conversion, we needed first aid in our cuts and nicks during the reconstruction. Of course, we had a first aid kit and plenty of paper towels. There were tons of Band-Aids and with some Neopolycin ointment, we were good to go on the little cuts and bruises.

We did not have the use of anything like an eye wash…that is something new or much recent in times. But, my brother did wear his eye glasses when he needed to get to the small things in cutting, sawing, and reattaching the screws/brackets. Our first aid kit was a standard one we got when we were in the Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts. That lasted through plenty of accidents over the years.
    upload_2021-2-15_3-30-33.png
    When we did some welding, we had the required darkened welding goggles. No face shield, just the goggles. We did get some flying balls of fire from cutting with the torch and popping during some of the welds. But, no big thing. Luckily, our faces did not get any attacks from those flying balls of fire.

We did have a bucket of water close by and the hose bib was just outside of the garage corner. There were plenty of towels and our training from the Boy Scouts was to beat the crap out with towels or large cloths for some smothering out the flames if there were flames. During all of the flame cutting, welding and close in welding of specific parts, we never had a random fire. Inside of the Willys Coupe or anywhere else in the reconstruction.

We both had gloves and wore long sleeve Pendleton shirts during the cutting and welding phases. Our metal shop teacher was aghast at our set up when I told him about the portable oxy/acetylene cart and welding configuration. He asked whether we had aprons… of course I laughed and told him that our mom wears the apron in the household. Ha!

Jnaki

The only major accident I had was at Lion’s Dragstrip after we had to do some adjusting of the starter motor. My brother was under the car and removing the nuts/bolts and I was given the job of reaching down and holding up the starter while the ratchet was doing its thing. But, my brother did not tell me when it was coming out and when he removed the last nut, the starter dropped down toward his face. I grabbed the starter and my bent elbow immediately straightened out with the added weight.
    upload_2021-2-15_3-31-13.png
    The end result of the arm straightening was my bicep went right into the hot header pipe. I could have let it fall, but my brother was laying on the ground directly under the starter motor. So, that action made almost a 3 inch circular burn that made the skin curl back on my bicep and hurt like hell. He grabbed the starter and removed it, while I went to our first aid kit. There was nothing to use for a severe burn.

While it was pounding pain with every second I grabbed the can of STP oil we had just put into the motor. There was some left over and was enough to coat the burn 100%. All through the rest of the evening and during eliminations, I had a rolled up t-shirt showing up my glistening burn. The next day was a day of careful activity and knew I needed a visit to our family doctor.

Even after the dragstrip closing, the STP stayed on my bicep until Monday morning. When our family doctor said it certainly was a different concept that worked to keep the infection out of a 3rd degree burn, he smiled. He gently took it off and applied a clean solution and bandage. The obvious scar lasted for 50+ years and eventually faded, but to me, still noticeable.

Shop safety equipment? Does STP heavy duty oil additive count???

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

At work it’s always safety first, even says so on my high viz vest. We constantly have to do refreshers, we have paperwork to do before I turn a knob.
    Now you’d think this would bleed over at home? Not so much. I have no idea where 1/2 my PPE is for the shop, hell I can’t find 1/2 my tools anymore.
    But this thread is a good reminder that I need to get the shit organized.

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Kneeling pads, I have a half dozen scattered through the shop, gotta save those knees for the long run !

10. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I work at a power plant so safety is pushed daily. I keep plenty of gloves, safety glasses, goggles, face shields, fire extinguishers, band-aids an so on. I have a bathroom in my shop. Some how I still managed to get metal in my eyes twice last week. The sink and large mirror sure came in handy. I'll probably add an eye wash since I already have shop plumbed. I also have an alarm system so I can easily get an ambulance over if needed. Two of my neighbors are paramedics and run the ems and the other is a DOT. Surely I can get help if needed.

11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Get a fan to blow away toxic smells in the shop.